Post-Game Talk: Goalie Bobbed in Game 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Did anyone ask the coach why he chose to f*** up a winning line up and d pairings? He helped build Nurse back up to a degree in games 5 and 6 only to shatter that growth by putting a failure of a pairing back together. Every other pairing played good but those two played major roles in both goals.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
First goal is on Hyman. Just letting Verhaeghe slip away. Same goes for the second one. That’s on Kane for letting Rodrigues go.

The game I blame on Nurse/Ceci again. How can these two still play together?
The first goal I agree with you.
The 2nd goal...there is no defending Nurse on that play. Even after the winger (I think it was Kane) loses his man Nurse can easily neutralize the play if he positions himself better.

He completely took himself out of the play...he might as well have skated to the bench and sat down.
The really annoying thing for me is that he didnt even own his mistake afterwards.

To think that there is an entire thread on here proclaiming that Nurse is a #1 dman.
It must be satire.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
No question the forwards were caught behind the puck on the Florida breakout and that began the 3 on 2 sequence, but defending a 3 on 2 is not rocket science. Take the lanes dont take the puck carrier. As soon as you do that you're creating a 2 on 1 which is exactly what happened.

Nurse should NOT have pushed out to his man, that is exactly what you do not do. Ceci was already in his correct lane but as soon as Nurse got beat on the pass (which he was supposed to prevent) Ceci pushed to his man, who threaded it to Verhaege and bang - in the net.

A 3 on 2 is just waiting for a dunce cap pair like Nurse and Ceci to take the player bait and take the bait they did. Most 3 on 2's do not wind up in Grade A scoring chances if played correctly. They played it completely wrong.
Hard to disagree with that other than we know these guys are nothing more than X & O's IQ players. We've seen 3 playoffs rounds now how both players have 0 IQ to adjust. They get owned on cycles which actually take adjustments.

By X&O standards they played that to the letter, which is my point. And many times that is enough, but again, not in this case as others. They simply are not reliable players, especially together

They played it decent by traditional standards, but you make a great breakdown, and my point, you wish they had more IQ to read the situation

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
End of the day. It’s one game. It’s one loss. We did prove we can outplay Florida which is more than most people think we can do. That has to be confidence building for the room.

That said, no more Nurse - Ceci. And please please please no more McLeod at center. Just doesn’t work.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Bobbery.

Says it all.

Barkov, Bennett, Bobo. For the Panthers thats all it was.

Oilers better team but lost and our top guys didn't finish.

Panthers had the benefit of being here before and Oilers looked nervous finishing.

That said we've had trouble scoring EV for a longwhile. Lots of PP goals against Dallas disguised that.
I hate all this Barkov overhype. Barkov lost the shot share and high danger chances for this game. This years playoffs he is losing both the shot share, high danger chance%, and xGF%. Tonight was no different. Bob was outstanding and made ridiculous save after ridiculous save.

I also think the “been there before” narrative is overblown. The Panthers were destroyed in the finals. They also played the very same team the Oilers did- Vegas.

Oilers also executed the way they should. Nurse and Ceci f’d up coverage on two goals and Oilers don’t have the goalie that can bail you out like Florida has. Bennet was good tonight.

The fact that we need a baby sitter for our 9.5M defenseman is absurd but here we are.
The fact that it is being suggested that Broberg should be moved up to play with Nurse to babysit him is absurd.

Don’t know if anyone posted- Nurse had to least amount of mins tonight. Broberg had more. Let that sink in.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Did anyone ask the coach why he chose to f*** up a winning line up and d pairings? He helped build Nurse back up to a degree in games 5 and 6 only to shatter that growth by putting a failure of a pairing back together. Every other pairing played good but those two played major roles in both goals.
Rob Brown said it was because Kulak felt uncomfortable on his right side…when you think about it makes no sense because they played a rookie Broberg on his off-side instead? Brown is an idiot

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I hate all this Barkov overhype. Barkov lost the shot share and high danger chances for this game. This years playoffs he is losing both the shot share, high danger chance%, and xGF%. Tonight was no different. Bob was outstanding and made ridiculous save after ridiculous save.

I also think the “been there before” narrative is overblown. The Panthers were destroyed in the finals. They also played the very same team the Oilers did- Vegas.

Oilers also executed the way they should. Nurse and Ceci f’d up coverage on two goals and Oilers don’t have the goalie that can bail you out like Florida has. Bennet was good tonight.

The fact that it is being suggested that Broberg should be moved up to play with Nurse to babysit him is absurd.

Don’t know if anyone posted- Nurse had to least amount of mins tonight. Broberg had more. Let that sink in.
Did u count his blocked shots tonite? Insane for a game tbh. he was terrific. Not sure how you watched that game w/ commentary and came to the conclusion he was overhyped? He broke up countless plays

This post is exactly why I stress "average fans" should never cite stats then post after they spend 2 seconds to go look on a website.

Dude has been awesome all playoffs, mistake free? No. But clutch at the same time. Most impressive is how he supports a forecheck and still is able to read an odd man breakout simultaneously. Did it several times tonite

Last edited:

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Elevate the puck against Bob and you will win this series!!
And when he’s down and out starfishing all over the place, hit the god damn net. Nuge, Hyman and McDavid all had him dead to rights and missed. As a matter of fact there were about 3 deflections that narrowly missed and Bouchard was shit on the powerplay. This was a winnable game even with Bobrovsky’s Hasek imitation.

Reactions: jesusbuiltmyhotrod

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
No question the forwards were caught behind the puck on the Florida breakout and that began the 3 on 2 sequence, but defending a 3 on 2 is not rocket science. Take the lanes dont take the puck carrier. As soon as you do that you're creating a 2 on 1 which is exactly what happened.

Nurse should NOT have pushed out to his man, that is exactly what you do not do. Ceci was already in his correct lane but as soon as Nurse got beat on the pass (which he was supposed to prevent) Ceci pushed to his man, who threaded it to Verhaege and bang - in the net.

A 3 on 2 is just waiting for a dunce cap pair like Nurse and Ceci to take the player bait and take the bait they did. Most 3 on 2's do not wind up in Grade A scoring chances if played correctly. They played it completely wrong.
Bieksa said the same thing. Standard 3 on 2 with back pressure, all the D has to do is stay in the middle. Nurse, as you said pushes to his man creating a two on one, pass goes through to Barkov, Ceci floats to him creating another 2 on 1. Pass goes to the wide open man, Skinner has zero lateral movement, and goal.

The second goal, Nurse not only didn’t take his man, his stick was in the air. Pucks bounce of his skates so much because his f’n stick is always waist height

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Well...Mr $9.25M standing around watching the Panthers score was the clinching moment IMO.
Inexcusable.
At least Ceci was trying on his error....just made the wrong read.
Nurse was just standing there in no mans land...covering no one in particular...just watching the play....as he has done oh so often.
Idiot.
Other players werent at their best either.

Anyway they lost game 1 in Vancouver as well and that was a game they should have won.
They still won that series.
This series isnt over by a long shot.

Gotta think Ceci is actually targetted to be the guy they want the board battle with. He probably lost 95% of his board battles in the game. Just awful. Nurse is most useful for the other team when he needs to find his open man and read the play, which he sucks at so he can just be turned into a pylon that you can just pass anything right through or around.

Reactions: guymez

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He had a lot of moments of looking like s Star player and really he has every playoff game he's been in. One shift in third period Florida was pressuring him to get a strip. He skates away from 3 Panthers with ease (obviously they don't know of him or his speed) and suddenly he hits a pass for a break out. Just another quiet but dead sexy play from him. Just exudes talent, reads, and explosive speed. Not sure how good this guy will get but he's sure got the ingredients. He's putting it together these playoffs. Both Booch and Broberg were giving Florida a lot of problems with their puck possession and shaking people.

Impressive game by both. Ekholm seemed a bit overwhelmed in game. Nurse, Ceci were straight up awful.

I saw that in Ekholm too. He had three straight giveaways trying to exit the puck in second (maybe the third). Bouchard was excellent again. Him and Broberg were the only 2 exiting the zone with any success. Bouchard had 16 shot attempts.

Gotta think Ceci is actually targetted to be the guy they want the board battle with. He probably lost 95% of his board battles in the game. Just awful. Nurse is most useful for the other team when he needs to find his open man and read the play, which he sucks at so he can just be turned into a pylon that you can just pass anything right through or around.
Vegas and Colorado both targeted him as well.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Skinner with another first goal on the first shot. Not only that, he let the first shot of the second period in too. 🤦‍♂️ Absolutely backbreaking.
At some point you have to ask the goalie coach why this has been happening with regularity since 2017 regardless of goalie.

Reactions: Hitman77

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Elevate the puck against Bob and you will win this series!!
I agree
Both breakaways, fellas deked low. His lateral movement is insane. Get it upstairs

Im gonna stay positive. Thought we outplayed them. Gotta solve Bobby. Would it be too crazy to replace Ceci with Vinny?

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I thought the team played pretty well, not too many breakdowns, not enough finish, and FLA's goalie played better than Skinner. Was shocked that the Oilers went low on Bob on the breakaways, they had to of had a pretty good scouting report on Bob, he's lights out down low. It's only one game, gonna have to find a way to finish. As for changes, I'd put Vinny in for Ceci, and Carrick in for Perry. Perry is just to slow to get to hits, and Ceci/Nurse keep on having breakdowns. Not a bad effort, just a bad result, get em next game.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
1000005594.png

During the game it felt like karma for Dallas game 6, but having though more about it I don't quite think so anymore.

In the Dallas game, the Oilers quickly went up by two and got overly defensive sitting on the lead. But while they were ringing it around the boards, icing it or dumping it from centre for a line change, they mostly were able to only allow shots from the outside that Skinner could see.

In this game Florida only went up by one early before getting the second one in the second period. Meanwhile the Oilers had enough great looks to put five or six past Bob.

Tip the hat to their goalie, but it sucks to drop a game you should have won. A series is short and next game Florida could well be the better team and win the game.

Slap on the wrist for Knob for reuniting Nurse-Ceci and for seemingly not having his team better prepared with a book on their goalie. He was unreal but we kept playing to his strengths. Even a guy like RNH who pretty much always uses his wrister tried to deke it into Bob's pads.

Onto the next one. The team's play was really encouraging!

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Skinner had every right to be pissed.
He was proabaly thinking...wtf?

I think that the reason Nurse didnt look was because he had his back to the slot. He didnt even position himself to monitor the slot.
He also didnt have his stick on the ice.
So he is standing in no mans land...stick in the air...not a concern in the world about the high danger area behind him....watching the puck.

He couldnt have f**ked up that play more if he tried.
How is it that a $9.25M player can be so mindless? So incoherant?
I just dont get it.
So much debate over this player but the simple answer is that he is not an elite #1 D-man with the hockey instincts to fill that role. With substantial playing time in any game, the probability of him making a serious defensive error is fairly high. On the other end he doesn't have the offensive ability of a guy like Bouchard to score many points. Hence the low production in the playoffs. I don't think that this is picking on the guy or criticizing him its merely expressing what longer term stats bear out.

The bigger the sample size then the better the predictions. He took the exorbitant contract (as we all would have) but essentially he is a 2nd pairing D-man. Pairing him with another player who is mistake prone simply aggravates the problem.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think we, as fans, mostly recognize that if play was determined by merit, Nurse would be in the press-box. However, you can't pay a guy almost 10 million and scratch him.

Nurse is certainly an NHL quality player based on skill-set, but he is in no way an NHL quality defenceman.

So... what we gonna do??

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad