Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Yup, said they knew it was a gamble but thought they had a good shot at convincing him to stay. Pretty candid.
Don't blame him. We're a young team with most of the guys around his age, on the clear rise, with lots of Americans.

The only thing we lost was a small downgrade from 7th overall to a 10-20 pick for a year of DeBrincat. Kubalik + 4th for 2nd + 3rd is a wash. It was a good gamble to make. Teams regularly give up far more for rentals.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Dorion may have punted the question but everyone knows his job depends on making the post-season this year.

He may even be fired if the owner wants to get a head start.

The controversy about his answer to that question is a whole lot of nothing.

To me the question is really WHAT IS THE DOWNSIDE OF JUST SAYING IT!! lol

Then to give the excuse that let’s wait until training camp…why?!?! The team is 98% set.
It also implies he doesn’t think they might be good enough yet…”but if we just get this guy..”

It’s that kind of nonsense that makes me question his judgement in general. This is the easiest question possible for him to answer.
“This team is ready to make that jump, and we look forward to the battle”.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is the easiest question possible for him to answer.
“This team is ready to make that jump, and we look forward to the battle”.

Maybe he hasn't clued in yet that his very survival depends on it and he's still trying to hedge.

He definitely tried to chalk up the "meaningful games" thing last season as a win in the same interview.

He's just playing his Greatest Hits collection. ;)

I guess my counter-point would be that what he says in an interview in July really has no bearing on the team or his own personal fortunes, which is why I said it's a whole lot of nothing.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Maybe he hasn't clued in yet that his very survival depends on it and he's still trying to hedge.

He definitely tried to chalk up the "meaningful games" thing last season as a win in the same interview.

He's just playing his Greatest Hits collection. ;)

I guess my counter-point would be that what he says in an interview in July really has no bearing on the team or his own personal fortunes, which is why I said it's a whole lot of nothing.
He learned his lesson after previous claims and proclamations.

“Next year, we need to start contending for the playoffs. Two years from now, we need to be a playoff team. Three years from now, we need to be a team that contends in the playoffs."

That was 2019.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
@benjiv1 there was a tweet this morning stating that Trent Mann had been banned from the CTC since February. Any truth to that that you're aware of?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Good question. I was only relaying what Benji had said and have tried not to speculate on the subject myself.

I'm certainly interested to know more.

The whole thing is weird.

"He was banned from CTC."

"Here he is in the CTC."

"No, he was banned from the "war room" of the CTC." (presumably where major decisions are made)

"Here he is at the draft table."

Did they make him leave the table if someone called Dorion's cellphone?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Isn't he sitting at the draft table?

What's the difference here?
Likely role and information.

He's the head of the scouting team, he's been in place all year. Makes sense to be involved in the draft and development camp. Well, doesn't make sense to keep him, but alas, Sens.

Trade deadline, other team and management functions, Troy, etc? Seems to be an issue in regards to these type of functions. Clearly things weren't peachy ever since Trent only found out his brother was fired after it had been announced to the public, rather than from the guys he works directly with as Asst. GM of the team.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

"Here he is in the CTC."

"No, he was banned from the "war room" of the CTC." (presumably where major decisions are made)

Very weird.

If Melnyk were still around I'd have to assume something nefarious, but I'm not so sure in this case. That said, where there's smoke...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Likely role and information.

He's the head of the scouting team, he's been in place all year. Makes sense to be involved in the draft and development camp. Well, doesn't make sense to keep him, but alas, Sens.

Trade deadline, other team and management functions, Troy, etc? Seems to be an issue in regards to these type of functions.

I guess.

Undoubtedly it was an extremely awkward arrangement because it's hard to completely separate those siloes.

I think it's clear that he was a "dead man walking" pretty much when his brother was fired and for whatever reason (pending lawsuit? running the scouting to date?) he kept his job in the interim.

I remember being surprised at the time when Troy was fired that Trent wasn't, because it would be hard to keep it impersonal.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021

"Here he is in the CTC."

"Dorion hates him"

"Here is at Dorion's son's bar mitzvah"

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

"Here he is in the CTC."

It would make sense if this was Troy we were talking about. Like, is it possible someone got the names mixed up and the banning was about Troy?
Cause otherwise it’s very strange.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It would make sense if this was Troy we were talking about. Like, is it possible someone got the names mixed up and the banning was about Troy?
Cause otherwise it’s very strange.
Troy wouldn't have access to the facility as is, he was no longer employed by the Sens

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Troy wouldn't have access to the facility as is, he was no longer employed by the Sens
Right. Well apparently he has a contract until next spring. So I was thinking that maybe they put that ban in place to make it clear. Until next spring. Idk

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dorion may have punted the question but everyone knows his job depends on making the post-season this year.

He may even be fired if the owner wants to get a head start.

The controversy about his answer to that question is a whole lot of nothing.

Blows my mind that this would even be considered.

Andlauer should fire him the minute he gets the keys to avoid Dorion doing anymore damage to the team.

What more do people need to see from Dorion at this point? It's not like he hasn't been given the necessary time to implement his vision. He's proven beyond a reasonable doubt to have no idea how to do the key aspects of his job, which are trades, signings and the hiring of personnel.

The team making the post-season this year will have been done in spite of the moves Dorion has made, not because of him, and pretty much everyone can see that besides a few sychophants who defend his every move with the passion of a cult member who's dear leader has been blasphemed.

Reactions: Loach and DrEasy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Blows my mind that this would even be considered.

Me too, but here we are.

If he's still here, it likely means he has some performance target to continue to keep his job.

If you're planning on firing Dorion, what, are you going to wait until training camp?

Hale The Villain said:
What more do people need to see from Dorion at this point? It's not like he hasn't been given the necessary time to implement his vision. He's proven beyond a reasonable doubt to have no idea how to do the key aspects of his job, which are trades, signings and the hiring of personnel.

The team making the post-season this year will have been done in spite of the moves Dorion has made, not because of him, and pretty much everyone can see that besides a few sychophants who defend his every move with the passion of a cult member who's dear leader has been blasphemed.

Great, but he still has his job, so what does that mean? Use your analytical powers.

1. He gets fired later on this summer anyway.

2. He gets fired anyway when Andlauer takes some kind of official or formal ownership of the team in the fall period.

3. He gets fired upon some trigger of bad play during the season.

4. He gets fired if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

5. He gets fired if the team makes the playoffs but not far enough.

6. He quits or gets fired after winning the Cup.

Ranting about what a terrible GM he is yet again sheds no light on the current situation.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Me too, but here we are.

If he's still here, it likely means he has some performance target to continue to keep his job.

If you're planning on firing Dorion, what, are you going to wait until training camp?

Great, but he still has his job, so what does that mean?
If Andlauer was allowed to bring his guys in, I'd imagine it would have been done the week his bid won. He's not allowed to do anything until possibly September, but hopefully the news we heard recently about possibly 2-4 weeks comes to fruition.

Unfortunately, he's got to wait for a while before making moves to bring his people in, and the timing of the sale puts the team in a real shitty situation.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So why fire Mann then? Dorion is firing him?
Have zero clue, like everyone is saying, the time makes extremely little/no sense, the exact same as Troy's firing.

Would not surprise me at all, it's not as though he wasn't quick to send out McGuire either unceremoniously.

It's an extremely strange situation

Firing Dorion has Bowness in charge, likely doesn't want to make a new GM for the time being when they have guys in mind for that role. Team needs someone to conduct business in this 1.5/2 month window of Andlauer getting the keys to the team.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Me too, but here we are.

I don't know if Andlauer has the ability to fire Dorion right now.

It has been stated that no changes could be made by Andlauer until the sale is official, and I don't think Mann leaving disproves that. Sounds like that was inevitable after what happened with his brother.

Firing the GM in August will have little to no effect on the team. It's not like Staios could be installed and immediately get to work fixing the roster. Team will pretty much be set by then.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Firing the GM in August will have little to no effect on the team. It's not like Staios could be installed and immediately get to work fixing the roster. Team will pretty much be set by then.

It gives Staios more time to get to know the team.

Dorion is acting as if he's still in a position to try to save his job, don't you think?

You think Andlauer has taken him aside and said "It doesn't matter what you do, you're gone anyway." Dorion claims to have been in contact with Andlauer frequently.

Or Dorion currently auditioning for his next job with all of his current moves?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad