Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I am not saying the business of. and not for the athletes and owners. for the masses

Remove the emotional investment and hockey (or any other sport for that matter) is not all that entertaining to watch.

The masses aren't sitting down to watch a Swiss League game (unless they're from Davos, Lausanne, etc).

When your entire product depends on emotional investment, you'll get a ton of positive and a ton of negative emotions. It's a roller coaster, and that's what it's supposed to be.

The NHL wants fans to hate on their teams, at times. Hating on your team means you care more than you should. When you care more than you should, you spend more money than you should.

A mindless fans goes to games when the team is good and entertaining, but stops when the team is bad and boring. Or when something more entertaining comes along. That's not the ideal fan the league wants.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Remove the emotional investment and hockey (or any other sport for that matter) is not all that entertaining to watch.

The masses aren't sitting down to watch a Swiss League game (unless they're from Davos, Lausanne, etc).

When your entire product depends on emotional investment, you'll get a ton of positive and a ton of negative emotions. It's a roller coaster, and that's what it's supposed to be.

The NHL wants fans to hate on their teams, at times. Hating on your team means you care more than you should. When you care more than you should, you spend more money than you should.

A mindless fans goes to games when the team is good and entertaining, but stops when the team is bad and boring. Or when something more entertaining comes along. That's not the ideal fan the league wants.
I agree. If sports didn't feel like high stakes for the team I'm cheering for, I just wouldn't watch.

But then, lots barely even have a "team" and just like to watch best on best and that's enough for them.

And everywhere in between.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There is a tremendous amount of love of the game and passion on display at sporting events
Its amazing and I love it.
Look at football in Europe or South America .. the Fans have gone way beyond mindless entertainment.... Ok many are mindless but not numb
NFL .. going to NFL games is nuts
Hockey.. I'd say especially in Canada but its caught on big time .. Look at Vegas and Nashville.
The World Championships ..
The fan experience is amazing .. so much energy.
Its a disservice and an under appreciation to call it mindless entertainment.

Real Life Real Drama

LOL

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Hockey, or another sport is entertainment, but fans get pretty engaged & passionate about their "entertainment".

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Let's see your critical analysis. Nichols publishes his. Its not a universal thing. He often makes several points.. so if you want a real discussion .. lets see how your analysis differs.
It's not that deep lol. Just the constant negativity is tiresome.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

And it's even bigger with the NHL specifically. Going from a heavy hitting, physical, hate-the-other-side, go to war league, to what we have now...

NHL is a different beast these days. And you can see the fanbase is changing. (Not up to me to say if it's for the better or not...)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't really care if he makes an error, as long as he's up front about it, admits it and apologies for the oversight.

He's just doubling down:

At first I thought he was talking Pierre Groulx... then when he said he'd get flak.. I thought wait is he talking about himself? It came out weird.
I Feel terrible and I apologize to all that may be offended.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At first I thought he was talking Pierre Groulx... then when he said he'd get flak.. I thought wait is he talking about himself? It came out weird.
I Feel terrible and I apologize to all that may be offended.

Here is the actual quote ..I believe.
“Talent, athleticism, powerful, compete, size. Pierre went and saw him, was happy with what he saw. I'll get in trouble for saying Pierre, but anyways, I went, saw him and was really happy with what I saw in the playoffs."

We have heard Pierre refer to Pierre before so .. imo if he is talking Groulx or Dorion is not clear here especially when he switches to "I went and saw him" after saying he'd get in trouble for saying Pierre.

Trouble from who?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Here is the actual quote ..I believe.
“Talent, athleticism, powerful, compete, size. Pierre went and saw him, was happy with what he saw. I'll get in trouble for saying Pierre, but anyways, I went, saw him and was really happy with what I saw in the playoffs."

We have heard Pierre refer to Pierre before so .. imo if he is talking Groulx or Dorion is not clear here especially when he switches to "I went and saw him" after saying he'd get in trouble for saying Pierre.

Trouble from who?

I think it's pretty clear.

Pierre (the goalie coach) went and saw him, and then Pierre (the GM) went and saw him.

It's probably some kind of inside joke between him and Groulx, or in terms of naming a specific scout by name.

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad