Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Those are two great examples of building up a new core.

But there's some key differences. Crosby and Malkin are on best all time lists with Crosby in most top 10 all time lists. Kane is probably the best American player ever.

On our end, our best two players are from 2020. Tkachuk is the captain and he'll be a playoff warrior but Stuetzle and Sanderson will make or break this. Chabot isn't imo foundational in any way. He was a transition piece from Karlsson to Sanderson. He's 40 more below par games in the first half next season from becoming a huge boat anchor contract.

I expect playoffs this season and serious contenders for several after that

I agree with you about Chabot, but also surprised how quickly Chabot went from the key rebuild piece to expendable after fans seeing Sanderson play for 20 games last year. Chabot shine is off.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
There are loser points now you can't compare those eras. Ottawa had 8 o.t loses.... thats 78 point. The 11 year run the team was built through the draft with patience. There wasn't even a salary cap. Stop with the excuses and straw man arguments. Its time for new organizational leadership. I don't think anyone directly hired by Melnyk should be around.

Team also made some huge trades - Beradrd (1st overall
Pick) for Redden, trade their biggest building block and best player in Yashin.

Big trades should be part of any successful rebuild. All teams that’s won Cups traded massive building blocks to reform their teams, drafting is important but the big decisive traded generally are more importanter

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
Yeah, I mean if we have 6 solid D in the lineup it shouldn't be that hard to find a #7 and #8 at deadline for pretty cheap if we look like contenders..

Norris health, goalie and the d-cat situations are my main concerns for the coming season..

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I had an odd thought. What if Andlauer replaces Dorion with a new GM?

Will this thread continue on past that point into infamy? Will we have a Part XXX or Part L?

Will the defenders continue their crusades and carry on with their noble cause? Will the critics continue their criticisms?

WILL LIFE AS WE KNOW IT TODAY BE ABLE TO EXIST? How will the Sens board be able to survive without it?

Deep thoughts.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Team also made some huge trades - Beradrd (1st overall
Pick) for Redden, trade their biggest building block and best player in Yashin.

Big trades should be part of any successful rebuild. All teams that’s won Cups traded massive building blocks to reform their teams, drafting is important but the big decisive traded generally are more importanter
This team has made many many big trades.... you can't win without a consistent and sustained pipeline. If you have been a fan of this team long enough there is plenty of proof.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
This team has made many many big trades.... you can't win without a consistent and sustained pipeline. If you have been a fan of this team long enough there is plenty of proof.
Ya, the draft is going to continue to be the Senators main tool in the toolkit. They need to be very strategic and prudent in their trade acquisitions. We should be able to find plenty of examples of the perils of trades in our history quite easily, and we are looking at yet another unfold right now (Debrincat). “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Maybe they will be a little more active in the free agency market with a new owner and a competitive, playoff caliber team? Let's hope that is the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I agree you need to continually backfill. I’d also add that the sens’ hands were forced into making both the Berard and Yashin trades and they still managed to get great returns, you need a steady hand on the tiller with the ability to evaluate talent and the plan to execute a trade to get maximum value.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I had an odd thought. What if Andlauer replaces Dorion with a new GM?

Will this thread continue on past that point into infamy? Will we have a Part XXX or Part L?

Will the defenders continue their crusades and carry on with their noble cause? Will the critics continue their criticisms?

WILL LIFE AS WE KNOW IT TODAY BE ABLE TO EXIST? How will the Sens board be able to survive without it?

Deep thoughts.
When the new GM makes his first trade 50% will love it & 50% will hate it & they will create a new thread & the saga continues as it has since the first GM to the last.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
When the new GM makes his first trade 50% will love it & 50% will hate it & they will create a new thread & the saga continues as it has since the first GM to the last.
Of course, but if it's about the new GM, it won't be about Dorion. We won't make Part XXX or Part L.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I agree with you about Chabot, but also surprised how quickly Chabot went from the key rebuild piece to expendable after fans seeing Sanderson play for 20 games last year. Chabot shine is off.

Yep, textbook recency bias.

Chabot was obviously very inconsistent this year but the number of minutes he has effortlessly eaten up since EK got traded is insane. I think it's been very overlooked the effect those minutes have had on him and explain a big part of those inconsistencies. Getting Chych will be huge for Chabot and we saw it towards the end of the season. He had more energy to be creative offensively and play 100% every shift.

The thought of a (hopefully) full season of 3 headed monster on D Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun makes me salivate.

Losing DBC we might lose some goals but Norris comes back and great D is always a better stepping stone to success, especially if you have a good coach behind the bench which is bound to happen.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Personally I'm not to worried about the Sens offense that's not a problem, our weakness is keeping the puck out of our net. That's what need to improve this year, we have to be able to win some games 2-1, and we need to score the first goal of the game more often, you do that by being go defensively and allowing your offense to get that 1st goal. It's hard to win games in this league when you're always behind on the scoreboard.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Personally I'm not to worried about the Sens offense that's not a problem, our weakness is keeping the puck out of our net. That's what need to improve this year, we have to be able to win some games 2-1, and we need to score the first goal of the game more often, you do that by being go defensively and allowing your offense to get that 1st goal. It's hard to win games in this league when you're always behind on the scoreboard.
36GP, scoring first: 26-9-1
46GP, trailing first: 13-26-7

No question we need to score first, more often. I think another part of it is goaltending letting in a soft one to start the game. We saw it way too much last year and you can go through GDTs and see how often we were lamenting being behind because goaltending shat the bed. Experience and stable goaltending will be huge for this team going into next season.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the Senators need to improve both GA and GF. Neither was particularly good last season.

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Goaltending. A decent stable consistent healthy goalie should make them a playoff team, I think PD's job depends on acquiring a good goalie who can keep these guys in games.

They have a very good top five at forward, they should have a decent top 4 on D & just really need a good legitimate #1 starting goalie. They need to fill two spots with the money from DBC goaltending & 2nd line LW, they can fill in the other spots internally & off the UFA market with cheap acquisitions

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Goaltending. A decent stable consistent healthy goalie should make them a playoff team, I think PD's job depends on acquiring a good goalie who can keep these guys in games.

They have a very good top five at forward, they should have a decent top 4 on D & just really need a good legitimate #1 starting goalie. They need to fill two spots with the money from DBC goaltending & 2nd line LW, they can fill in the other spots internally & off the UFA market with cheap acquisitions
Lots of work to do there. Have to hit on the acquisitions.

Reactions: Cosmix

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
The hosts on Overdrive just were applauding Ottawa on signing Tkachuk and Stutzle to $8 million a year. I think we all agree that those contracts are going to look like absolute steals right now and even more so in the next few seasons.
Now do Sanderson.

Reactions: Bileur

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
The hosts on Overdrive just were applauding Ottawa on signing Tkachuk and Stutzle to $8 million a year. I think we all agree that those contracts are going to look like absolute steals right now and even more so in the next few seasons.
yes, then in 5 years time. Brady T will be 27. He will be comming up on year 8. And he will look back and see a career that should have been at 10 M per year, be at 8.25.

Will he be okay with it?

Will he want to make up the difference? will he now ask the Sens for another 8 x X where X is a number that reflects his play at the time and the extra 1.75 million he left behind. Now what?

What happens when he comes to his senses and starts stirring by year 6 of the deal.. Looks to recoup some cash, by asking for a trade to a tax free state!!! year 6 is in 3 years.

Ditto for Tim.

I am waiting on Leon Draisaitl.. he is coming up ...next year. Will he ask for 8 x 13? ..11 as his worth and 2 for lost salary. And be 29 when that contract kicks in.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I mean if we have 6 solid D in the lineup it shouldn't be that hard to find a #7 and #8 at deadline for pretty cheap if we look like contenders..

Norris health, goalie and the d-cat situations are my main concerns for the coming season..
That's along with forward depth. This team needs to get faster and harder after the first line. Extremely easy group to play against. They need 2 legitimate middle 6ers with bite and some skill. There is alot of holes but the top end skill is there.

I'd move Debrincat for futures.

Sign a UFA goalie like Varlamov/Andersen/Korpisalo/Hill/Raanta/Samsonov/Jarry/Raanta 2 or 3 year deal max

Target one big time ufa forward Barbashev/Bertuzzi/Killorn/Tarasenko/Orielly/

Sign Acciari

Target a physical forward to who can drop the gloves Reaves/Lucic etc.

Target a bottom pair RHD Schenn/Hamonic/Mayfield/Gudas

Re-sign Gauthier to 1 year league minimum.

Sign Pinto to 2 year 2.5 Million

Brannstrom 3 year 1.3 million

I'd offer Byron a 1 year league minimum deal.

I think that's a playoff team assuming no catastrophic injuries.

Ideal lineup with real depth that can sustain injuries.

Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Barbashev Norris Batherson
Joseph Pinto Acciari
Byron Kastelic Reaves
Sokolov Grieg Gauthier

Sanderson Zub
Chabot Chychrun
Brannstrom Schenn
Kleven JBD

Varlamov
Forsberg
Soogard