Value of: Getting Matt Murray out of Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
"If a team has a player go to arbitration and it is either settled or awarded, the team receives a new 48-hour buyout window beginning 3 days after the arbitration settlement or award. The only contracts that are eligible to be bought out in this window are for players with Cap Hits greater than $4M and they were on the team's roster at the last trade deadline."

Murray was on Toronto's roster, then only Toronto can buy him out.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If they buy him out its a lot less for sure. Leaf fans dont wanna buy him out because of the cap penalty next year. I think buyout is the only option tbh.
They could just ltir him. Shouldn’t be problematic considering the players history. It’ll be in line with the assets they acquired with him or they’ll make him go away.
Honestly unless someone takes muzzin too so they can actually be under the cap and not into ltir and allow them to accrue space it doesn’t make sense so deplete assets.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Zero chance a 1 st Is involved . I expect it’s going to be a mediocre prospect and a 3 rd type comp
The team getting him will have to be ok paying him the full 6 millions in real money in salary because they can't buy him out.

I don't think any owner will say yes to that for a 3rd round pick.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
im guessing it is a protected first for Murray and a 3rd.

cap is so much more expensive this year and the Leafs backed themselves in a situation where they need to sell

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
They have 21 players and are 2.4 million over the cap, without Samsonov, but with Muzzin on the LTIR.

They have a 1st this year, and in two years. No second round picks for the next three years. My guess is prospects being the main sweeteners.

Apparently Nylander, Matthews, Tavares and Marner are all off limits. Rielly only recently signed his career contract. Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves, Klingberg and Kampf all just signed contracts too. This leaves Jarnkrok, McCabe, Liljegren or Brodie as the second source cap savings.

To sign/call up two more spare skaters, if they move Murray they're dead against the cap, including Muzzin being on the LTIR. That is without Samsonov signed, too.

My guess is they're screwed.

Brodie+Murray+1st+Minten+Niemela to get cap compliant, to Chicago, probably with more going to the Blackhawks. Chicago is short on NHL D, have added some veteran presence for Bedard, and also only have one NHL goalie.

Or they push for Samsonov to elect for arbitration, to open a second buy out window. Buying out Murray and Brodie gets them 4.9 in cap space for Samsonov though, with a cap hit almost as high next year.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
They could just ltir him. Shouldn’t be problematic considering the players history. It’ll be in line with the assets they acquired with him or they’ll make him go away.
Honestly unless someone takes muzzin too so they can actually be under the cap and not into ltir and allow them to accrue space it doesn’t make sense so deplete assets.

They can't just LTIR him. He finished the season healthy last year. The NHL is more stringent on LTIR now and Murray isn't going to be willing to call it quits on his career at 29, he is probably motivated for the next contract and trying to show he can still play.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Maybe Kent Hughes and Treliving can cook something up again and try to make it even more complicated than the Monahan trade conditions.
If it leads to my Habs getting a first, I'm in.

Maybe an upgrade from the Avs 2nd rounder in 24 to the Leafs first ?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Leafs absolutely do not need to trade a 1st to get out of Murray's deal. I make fun of the Leafs and their fans at every chance I get but even I wouldn't say that. Murray isn't a bad goalie, he's just super injury prone and overpaid.

The only way I feel like the Leafs would have to pay more than a 2nd to get out of his deal is if they wait too long and desperately have to move Murray. But with it only being July 2nd, it's way too early to make that claim.

Reactions: Menzinger

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Why would a team eat 6.000 for that?
Because some just need to get to the cap floor and or need goalies ? Additionally it would come with an asset , just not a first ;..Why would he cost more to trade with one less year of contract to eat and similar on ice results?

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Zero chance a 1 st Is involved . I expect it’s going to be a mediocre prospect and a 3 rd type comp
Bailey had one year left at 5 mil and was dumped for a future 2nd. Murray has a one year left at 4.6 after the Sens retention. So yeah either a 2nd, or a 3rd + prospect sounds about right.

Reactions: TheKrebsCycle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad