Value of: Getting Matt Murray out of Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If ANA acquires a player with a pending arbitration case, are you saying they do not get a second buyout window?
Correct. To open the 2nd buyout window the player going to arb has to have been the teams property since the trade deadline.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
So basically if Samsonov doesn’t file for arbitration today, they have no choice but to trade Murray….. or find another option, as there will be no buyout. Brodie or Nylander would be the other two candidates.

The thing is, every team is going to hold the Leafs over the coals on this. That’s my concern. I’ll say this though… They’re in a Cup window. No matter how much non-Leaf fans want to poke fun, etc, that’s the case. You do what you have to do, to put the best team on the ice. So signing Domi and Bert was the right move.

If signing those two means they have to give a 1st Round pick to move Murray, then just get it over with and move on to the next piece of business.

To me, it has to be Murray. I think the Nylander to Carolina thing is a pipe dream. He’s not the type of player they love down there. Not to the extent they’ll pay him that sort of money. San Jose has no reason to have any interest. Another pipe dream to land EK. But specifically, they’re not getting Pesce unless Treliving gets really creative in a 3 team trade, etc. I just hope it doesn’t cost more than a 1st to move Murray. Money is so tight everywhere, it’s not going to be easy moving him, but that has to be the goal.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I’d do Murray + 1st ‘24 for a 3rd ‘24 and buy him out in the next window
Of course you would. Every fan wants wants a trade completely in their favor. Who are the Canadians taking to arbitration?

So basically if Samsonov doesn’t file for arbitration today, they have no choice but to trade Murray….. or find another option, as there will be no buyout. Brodie or Nylander would be the other two candidates.

The thing is, every team is going to hold the Leafs over the coals on this. That’s my concern. I’ll say this though… They’re in a Cup window. No matter how much non-Leaf fans want to poke fun, etc, that’s the case. You do what you have to do, to put the best team on the ice. So signing Domi and Bert was the right move.

If signing those two means they have to give a 1st Round pick to move Murray, then just get it over with and move on to the next piece of business.

To me, it has to be Murray. I think the Nylander to Carolina thing is a pipe dream. He’s not the type of player they love down there. Not to the extent they’ll pay him that sort of money. San Jose has no reason to have any interest. Another pipe dream to land EK. But specifically, they’re not getting Pesce unless Treliving gets really creative in a 3 team trade, etc. I just hope it doesn’t cost more than a 1st to move Murray. Money is so tight everywhere, it’s not going to be easy moving him, but that has to be the goal.
No, the team can file for arbitration by tomorrow. Or Samsonov can just accept his qualifying offer.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If they trade Samsonov in the deal to get Gibson, ANA could buy him out. Or a team with an arb case can do so as well.
No, the only team that can buyout a player is the team on which that player was at the last trade deadline.

Only Toronto can buyout Murray.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Murray + 2025 2nd to Chicago for Mrazek?
If ANA acquires a player with a pending arbitration case, are you saying they do not get a second buyout window?

Anaheim gets a 2nd buyout window, but Murray wouldn't be eligible.

To be bought out during the 2nd window, a player must:
a) Have a AAV of $4m+, and
b) Been on the team's Reserve List since the most recent Trade Deadline.

A traded Murray fails (b). Only Toronto can buy him out during the 2nd window.

Reactions: AcerComputer

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Murray + 2025 2nd to Chicago for Mrazek?

Anaheim gets a 2nd buyout window, but Murray wouldn't be eligible.

To be bought out during the 2nd window, a player must:
a) Have a AAV of $4m+, and
b) Been on the team's Reserve List since the most recent Trade Deadline.

A traded Murray fails (b). Only Toronto can buy him out during the 2nd window.

That Leafs/Hawks trade wouldn't help with Leafs cap situation

And with Samsonov electing arbitration the Leafs now have buyout as options should they find no trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad