Post-Game Talk: GAME 6 - 6-0-0 - BRUINS 3 Chicago 0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Best team in the league? I hope that becomes a fact down the road, but, in all seriousness, the BRUINS have had arguably the easiest opening schedule of any team in the NHL.

I will grant you that but they also aced it.

Detroit will be a good test on Saturday night as the Wings look like they are ready to join the playoff dance after a few years away.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well deserved rest you cant get better then 6 and 0. Wowsers!

The NHL season is one big spreadsheet.

I have to come learn the most important metric is POINTS LOST as you can not make them back. The Bruins sit at ZERO and no other team in the East can say that this morning.

Now granted the 6 wins have been against lower-level teams in the West (LAK the exception) BUT they banked 4 points against Chicago and Toronto has already lost to the Hawks.

November will be a challenge

1698215152608.png

but that is fine

We have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go but I am now certain the B's will be a Top 3 team in the Atlantic along with Toronto - who the third team will be :dunno: Until proven otherwise I assume it will be Tampa but I sense it might be Detroit.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
That Poitras goal got me so hyped. The hustle and finish was exactly the kind of flash of talent you want to see from a rookie, who is ONLY 19. 3 goals in 6 games. Love the kid so far

Also think beecher has done well, he's been overshadowed by 51 but is another pleasant surprise

Shattenkirk isn't flashy but he's been solid and made a lot of nice plays. Seems like that might be a good value deal. Brown also hasn't been offensive in my eyes - seems like a low risk guy so far.

We'll see how the rookies progress when the schedule gets tougher. the team will face its ups/downs but it's nice to see them fully capitalize on the soft schedule early

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That Poitras goal got me so hyped. The hustle and finish was exactly the kind of flash of talent you want to see from a rookie, who is ONLY 19. 3 goals in 6 games. Love the kid so far

Also think beecher has done well, he's been overshadowed by 51 but is another pleasant surprise

Shattenkirk isn't flashy but he's been solid and made a lot of nice plays. Seems like that might be a good value deal. Brown also hasn't been offensive in my eyes - seems like a low risk guy so far.

We'll see how the rookies progress when the schedule gets tougher. the team will face its ups/downs but it's nice to see them fully capitalize on the soft schedule early
Poitras is not only surprising fans, he is also surprising team management.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The NHL season is one big spreadsheet.

I have to come learn the most important metric is POINTS LOST as you can not make them back. The Bruins sit at ZERO and no other team in the East can say that this morning.

Now granted the 6 wins have been against lower-level teams in the West (LAK the exception) BUT they banked 4 points against Chicago and Toronto has already lost to the Hawks.

November will be a challenge

View attachment 757622

but that is fine

We have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go but I am now certain the B's will be a Top 3 team in the Atlantic along with Toronto - who the third team will be :dunno: Until proven otherwise I assume it will be Tampa but I sense it might be Detroit.

A challenge for sure. After the Ducks game, 10 out of the next 13 are against contending teams, and another 2 are rivalry games against the Habs that are of course very winnable but should still have some extra spice to them. This stretch should really test the Bruins out.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
It sucks wind to not have a No. 1 Goalie. But it's a gas when you have 2. Need a low scoring affair? Call Ullie & Sway, 1-800-GET-HUGS. A Forbort seems to go better with a Shatty Smoothie than a Cliffy Kamikaze. Zacha loves the food in Chicago, he left a helluva tip. Been wondering about the red lines on Matty P's skates, then when I saw him blow by everyone on the breakaway it brought me back to my childhood. When I put these on I became the fastest shortstop in the schoolyard. Didn't know they did skates. Matty's Mom knows stuff.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A challenge for sure. After the Ducks game, 10 out of the next 13 are against contending teams, and another 2 are rivalry games against the Habs that are of course very winnable but should still have some extra spice to them. This stretch should really test the Bruins out.
I think by Black Friday we should have an idea of what we have,

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am very happy to wake up to another win, now we get back into the right time zone. I only saw the first period but thought Zacha was playing his heart out, very happy to see he got one last night.

The crew definitely talked a little about Poitras, and if I recall correctly, they also made comments about Bedard shooting from so far out and how that won't cut it with NHL calibre goalies but how that will come. It was nice to hear something a bit more realistic from them this time around but the panning to him sitting on the bench for no reason was still over the top. Good news, done with the Hawks!

I'll take the 12 points, we are always disappointed not to beat weaker teams so these are very valuable points and I like that a bunch of the Western games are already over. They need to play divisional games further into the season, not the &*$#% Ducks and Sharks.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I had the sportsnet feed and it was nauseating listening to them slobber Bedard for the first half of the period, as the bruins slowly clamped down they didn’t have much to say and then transitioned to just praising Boston. They were incredibly insensed that Bedard’s goal was taken away. Ferraro on and on about how off sides shouldnt be challenged if it’s “x” number of seconds past entry, the most layman’s take on that issue.

Practically could hear tears behind the camera.

Poitras will make them pay attention, it would seem

The best thing so far about Poitras besides his obvious hockey sense is his goals. His knock was not enough goals in junior. Jaffe saying he should go back down and dominate focusing on putting up goals. He wasn’t 100% wrong, just didn’t know where he would start putting up more goals per game :D

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

CHICAGO — Rookie center Matthew Poitras scored again, all but securing a permanent roster spot this season, and sparked a two-goal burst early in the third period that paced the Bruins to a 3-0 win over the Blackhawks Tuesday night at the United Center.

Poitras, 18, scored his third goal in two games at 4:06 of the third, providing the Bruins with a 2-0 lead. Only 56 seconds later, it was Trent Frederic’s turn, the big winger cashing in at an open left side off a slick backhand pass from linemate James van Riemsdyk.

Jeremy Swayman turned back 23 shots for the shutout, the 10th of his career, extending the Bruins’ perfect start to 6-0-0. They swept the Sharks, Kings, Ducks, and Hawks on the four-game road trip, allowing them collectively to hold a lead for all of 84 seconds.

Poitras has a 3-1—4 line in six NHL games. Ineligible to be sent to the AHL, if he plays a 10th game — potentially next Thurs vs. the Leafs at the Garden — the first year of his entry level contract would be “burned,” ostensibly sealing his spot in Boston for the season.

“He’s made the most of his opportunity,” said a smiling club president Cam Neely after the game. “He’s making a hard decision pretty easy.”

Neely, however, was not prepared to say Poitras had landed a permanent stay.

“He’s making it hard on us, isn’t he?” said coach Jim Montgomery. “He’s doing a terrific job.”

The three-goal margin, the largest this season for the Bruins, increased their goal differential to +12 through six games.

Poitras scored his goal by first taking control of a Morgan Geekie pass, then barreling down the ice with veteran Corey Perry and defenseman Wyatt Kaiser in pursuit. He raced to goalie Petr Mrazek’s doorstep and calmly finished off with a forehand slide under Mrazek’s glove hand.

The win was somewhat marred minutes later. With 9:16 gone in the third, Bruins forward Jakub Lauko rushed to the room after getting cut near his left eye by Jason Dickinson’s skate blade. Clutching a towel firmly to his face, with blood evident, he rushed to the room for urgent care and did not return.

“Lauko’s good, thankfully,” said Montgomery. “Scary, but he got it in the corner of the eye — nothing touched [the eyeball]. Stitched . . . he’s not going to look good for a while.”

According to one team member, the skate gashed Lauko high across the bridge of his nose. Lauko, still clutching a towel hard to his face some 30 minutes after the game, made his way to the team bus and was not available to the media.

It’s not known if Lauko will play Thursday vs. Anaheim at the Garden. Cuts around the eye often cause considerable swelling, which could impair his line of sight.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Poitras is not only surprising fans, he is also surprising team management.

Jaffe and Razor said on their podcast that management wants to see how he does tomorrow and Saturday before deciding. I agree with them tho I do think he stays.

I don't expect goals but if he is still getting into the mix along the wall and setting up chances while giving 100% every shift then I call it success and keep him.

Jaffe and Razor also said management takes off the ice stuff like his living situation and basic adulting into account. I'd say him taking an econ class and doing homework between any interviews is a step in the right direction. I do wonder if he lives with someone on the team to get the lay of the land and help adjusting to life as a pro. I almost feel like Freddy could really help him or even a guy like Carlo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad