GDT: G1: NYR @ Wild 7pm CT (BSN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
His injury magically fixed the day we acquired Fleury?

He needed the competition last year to be good, and didn't want to deal with it this year.

His call.

Fleury was acquired on March 21st, Talbot's numbers:

Sat 3/19vsCHICHIW
3-1
159:49100011.002221.9550
Wed 3/16vsBOSBOSW
4-2
160:00100022.002624.9230
Thu 3/10@DETDETW
6-5 SO
165:00100054.623429.8530
ESPN+ HOCKEY NIGHT
Tue 3/8vsNYRNYRW
5-2
160:00100022.002523.9200
Sun 3/6vsDALDALL
6-3
022:28000000.00331.0000

He had one bad game against Detroit, but came in relief of Kahkonen in Dallas and did well.

He had a tough February and early March. He was uneven.

The problem is Guerin telegraphed his intentions and Talbot called his bluff.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
First off, how TF do we not sellout the home opener? The arena was like 90% full, but that was kind of sad.

Felt like Fleury was hung out to dry all game. Honestly thought we played well for the majority, but waaaaaaaaay too many defensive lapses.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Spurgeon was 6th in 5v5 d-man ToI. Addison had the most total ToI for d-men. Goli was on the ice a lot more 5v5 than I realized while watching the game.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
First off, how TF do we not sellout the home opener? The arena was like 90% full, but that was kind of sad.

Felt like Fleury was hung out to dry all game. Honestly thought we played well for the majority, but waaaaaaaaay too many defensive lapses.
They need to tighten up and they probably will. My main concern is the carried-over struggles from last year: penalties, special teams, and goaltending. One of those has to get a lot better or it's going to be a rough year.

Their play in their own end tonight was bad as well, but I'm more willing to write that off as a one-off.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’d say MAF was fighting it tonight but that’s been about how’s he looked most games since he got here.

The early penalties were inexcusable and cost us. Hartman looked like it was first time skating since Game 6 against Blues

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Spurgeon was 6th in 5v5 d-man ToI. Addison had the most total ToI for d-men. Goli was on the ice a lot more 5v5 than I realized while watching the game.
... ya, because he played six and a half minutes of special teams. 2nd most of both PK and PP( dumba and Addison respectively). No one within two minutes of special teams time.

Dumba, Brodin and Spurgeon all finished withing 45 seconds of eachother I'm TOI.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So who are the FWDs that are worthy of playing with the Rossi? So far Dewar, Duhaime, Foligno, and Jost are all not worthy.

It's not about who's "worthy", it's about putting players in the best position to succeed. Put him with Boldy or Kaprizov, if he still doesn't work out there, then he should still be in the AHL. But you don't declare him unready for the NHL or say the game is too fast for him based on <10 minutes with Dewar and Duhaime, and a few short shifts with some other guys. One full shift on the Kaprizov line and one full shift on the Boldy line is not enough to say "see look he wasn't good there either".

You've heard the saying, "you don't judge a fish by its ability to climb trees", right?

I'm still waiting for your better suggestion on the top two lines at center. You keep replying to me and trying to insinuate I'm wrong about trying Rossi there but you keep ignoring that part.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I didn‘t want to jinx it, but when MAF gets scored on early you should pull him right away.
Was it the first or second shot?
He is old and if he doesn‘t make 10 saves he will suck.
Gustavsson isn‘t that much better.
I hope they don‘t try to use Wallstedt too early…
Just go after Bedard and try to get a first from the Leafs for Fleury.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
They need to tighten up and they probably will. My main concern is the carried-over struggles from last year: penalties, special teams, and goaltending. One of those has to get a lot better or it's going to be a rough year.

Their play in their own end tonight was bad as well, but I'm more willing to write that off as a one-off.

PP1 looked better than it did a lot of the time last season. PP2 just shouldn't be on the ice much. It just doesn't have the personnel to be dangerous with the system MN runs.

All of the penalties, except the roughing on JEE, weren't even questionable. I don't think they'll get any better at not taking penalties. That discipline is something the coaching staff needs to instill, and the same coaching staff is still here.

The PK should improve some as the players get comfortable with it. They were playing a different (more challenging) style than last year and it looked out of synch, rather than the passive coverage the team ran last year.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I didn‘t want to jinx it, but when MAF gets scored on early you should pull him right away.
Was it the first or second shot?
He is old and if he doesn‘t make 10 saves he will suck.
Gustavsson isn‘t that much better.
I hope they don‘t try to use Wallstedt too early…
Just go after Bedard and try to get a first from the Leafs for Fleury.
Teams to good to for Bedard. Would basically have to trade the entire GREEF line And then some to destroy the depth enough.

PP1 looked better than it did a lot of the time last season. PP2 just shouldn't be on the ice much. It just doesn't have the personnel to be dangerous with the system MN runs.

All of the penalties, except the roughing on JEE, weren't even questionable. I don't think they'll get any better at not taking penalties. That discipline is something the coaching staff needs to instill, and the same coaching staff is still here.

The PK should improve some as the players get comfortable with it. They were playing a different (more challenging) style than last year and it looked out of synch, rather than the passive coverage the team ran last year.
Hartmans tendency to take bad penalties is a problem for our first line. Took two tonight

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I like Hartman but he does look poised to turn back into a pumpkin.
I think he'd absolutely get 50 or 60 points playing with Kaprizov and Zucc. But he'll take bad stick penalties alot like he did last year.

I think Rossi, Steel or even Jost would do similar without the bad penalties Hartman is prone to.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Our D zone coverage and mistakes were awful tonight, and that includes forwards, not just the D. I won't list all the guilty parties, but there were a LOT of them, including Zucc and Kap. Fleury wasn't terrible, despite the score, but he sure as hell wasn't good, either. Maybe his reflexes are going. Shesterkin sure looked damn good.

First game. No use freaking out....except about the PP! It still was stagnant, stationery, and predictable. Where is the movement, speed, and creativity?

I like Hartman but he does look poised to turn back into a pumpkin.
I think if he skated around with a Pumpkin on his head he might've scared a lot of the Rangers

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
First game. No use freaking out....except about the PP! It still was stagnant, stationery, and predictable. Where is the movement, speed, and creativity?

This reminds me of something I was gonna mention earlier. When NY was moving the puck around, and specifically referencing their first two goals, they weren't afraid to try to move the puck through the middle/cross-ice, but it seems like we only pass around the perimeter. Like you know where the puck is going on our PP, because it's going to one of the two guys adjacent to the current puck holder.

Reactions: Wild11MN

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Our D zone coverage and mistakes were awful tonight, and that includes forwards, not just the D. I won't list all the guilty parties, but there were a LOT of them, including Zucc and Kap. Fleury wasn't terrible, despite the score, but he sure as hell wasn't good, either. Maybe his reflexes are going. Shesterkin sure looked damn good.

I think if he skated around with a Pumpkin on his head he might've scared a lot of the Rangers
Nah. He was bad. NHL goalies are expected to make hard saves too. MAF made very few of those.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's not about who's "worthy", it's about putting players in the best position to succeed. Put him with Boldy or Kaprizov, if he still doesn't work out there, then he should still be in the AHL. But you don't declare him unready for the NHL or say the game is too fast for him based on <10 minutes with Dewar and Duhaime, and a few short shifts with some other guys. One full shift on the Kaprizov line and one full shift on the Boldy line is not enough to say "see look he wasn't good there either".

You've heard the saying, "you don't judge a fish by its ability to climb trees", right?

I'm still waiting for your better suggestion on the top two lines at center. You keep replying to me and trying to insinuate I'm wrong about trying Rossi there but you keep ignoring that part.

Rossi isn't good enough to play center at all in the NHL. He small, not physical, and one of the slowest skaters on the team. He doesn't win board/puck battles, the game is too fast for him, and he is out of position. I'm still not seeing how moving him up in the lineup will change any of these things. He's doing the same things he did in the preseason. Just the points aren't there because it's actual NHL players, not junk to gloss over the shortcomings in his game.

Keeping him on the 4th line w/PP time and not the AHL is about setting him up for the future. Get him used to the NHL game speed/skill/physicality.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I think this team is at risk of having a really bad year. The defense is bad, the goaltending is bad, and their offense has been downgraded from last season.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rossi isn't good enough to play center at all in the NHL. He small, not physical, and one of the slowest skaters on the team. He doesn't win board/puck battles, the game is too fast for him, and he is out of position. I'm still not seeing how moving him up in the lineup will change any of these things. He's doing the same things he did in the preseason. Just the points aren't there because it's actual NHL players, not junk to gloss over the shortcomings in his game.

Keeping him on the 4th line w/PP time and not the AHL is about setting him up for the future. Get him used to the NHL game speed/skill/physicality.

Your insistence that we don't even bother trying Rossi there, combined with the continued effort to ignore my question, as entertaining as it is, is starting to become concerning.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

This might be true, but there’s no way that a preseason + 1 regular season gets you there unless it’s somewhere you actively want to be. Then it’s just a 50/50 get lucky or don’t thing.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Zero evidence to back this up. His best shift was the one he got with the top guns, and they created like 3 chances.

Honestly I have very little doubt he could duplicate Hartmans number last year but I'd prefer to start with him replacing Steel. Boldy got two goals largely on individual effort. Give him someone he can play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad