GDT: G1: NYR @ Wild 7pm CT (BSN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think he'd absolutely get 50 or 60 points playing with Kaprizov and Zucc. But he'll take bad stick penalties alot like he did last year.

I think Rossi, Steel or even Jost would do similar without the bad penalties Hartman is prone to.

I don't think there is an inhouse solution to the 1C spot. These are all somewhere between bottom-6 and fringe players we're talking about. Kap can probably boost them for points, but it's still just putting lipstick on a pig.

If they want to run the 3 lines then Kap, JEE, and Boldy pretty much all have to be on different lines.

Reactions: ThatGuy22

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't think there is an inhouse solution to the 1C spot. These are all somewhere between bottom-6 and fringe players we're talking about. Kap can probably boost them for points, but it's still just putting lipstick on a pig.

If they want to run the 3 lines then Kap, JEE, and Boldy pretty much all have to be on different lines.
I don't think anyone thinks we have an in house solution for 1C behind a developed Rossi.

But, I think most would agree that Hartman has a tendency for taking bad stick penalties. Which takes our top line off the ice too often.

I'm not opposed to seeing if one of our other high NHL draft picks like Rossi, Steel or Jost can replicate without the dumb penalties.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Steel’s got to play with the talented players so Guerin can say he did something this offseason.

It really does kinda feel like it, doesn't it. Especially after watching the Fleury thing last year.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think anyone thinks we have an in house solution for 1C behind a developed Rossi.

But, I think most would agree that Hartman has a tendency for taking bad stick penalties. Which takes our top line off the ice too often.

I'm not opposed to seeing if one of our other high NHL draft picks like Rossi, Steel or Jost can replicate without the dumb penalties.
The one thing that's stood out to be about Steel in limited viewings is some decent hands in tight and around the front of the net, so he'd probably be my pick if we start experimenting.

Long term I'd hope Rossi takes the spot for himself, but I haven't seen anything from him to put me in a hurry yet.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The one thing that's stood out to be about Steel in limited viewings is some decent hands in tight and around the front of the net, so he'd probably be my pick if we start experimenting.

Long term I'd hope Rossi takes the spot for himself, but I haven't seen anything from him to put me in a hurry yet.
Not every spot has to be taken. Sometimes spots can be assigned based on other factors.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not every spot has to be taken. Sometimes spots can be assigned based on other factors.

I'm also not sure what Steel has done to "take" the spot he's in, or the spot on Kaprizov's line. That one was actually just assigned based on other factors.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Got cast aside by a powerhouse Ducks team, I guess.

Cast aside might be too complimentary a term for what they did with him. They have 14M in cap space, Steel is one year removed from his ELC, and they claimed Brett Leason off waivers to round out their team. It would have been easier to qualify Steel and keep him, but with no pressure of any kind to get rid of him, they simply said they don't want him.

But I'm not here to shit on Steel, just unsure of why he's slotted in on Boldy's line without considering any other options.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Funny thing, I've been asking for him to get shot there all pre-season, but I was told how that was a insult to Hartman... but ok. Yes, I want that too.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Zero evidence to back this up. His best shift was the one he got with the top guns, and they created like 3 chances.

Honestly I have very little doubt he could duplicate Hartmans number last year but I'd prefer to start with him replacing Steel. Boldy got two goals largely on individual effort. Give him someone he can play with.

Just for reference Rossi's 5v5 ToI
Dewar 4:18
Duhaime 4:16
Zucc 1:49
Boldy 1:40
Kap 1:16
Foligno 0:07
Jost 0:01

His best 5v5 onice xgf with anyone was Kap at 0.07m with 1 total SFC (not even a HDSC).

It really does kinda feel like it, doesn't it. Especially after watching the Fleury thing last year.

I was thinking more of Freddy G last year and MarJo the year before.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just for reference Rossi's 5v5 ToI
Dewar 4:18
Duhaime 4:16
Zucc 1:49
Boldy 1:40
Kap 1:16
Foligno 0:07
Jost 0:01

His best 5v5 onice xgf with anyone was Kap at 0.07m with 1 total SFC (not even a HDSC).

I was thinking more of Freddy G last year and MarJo the year before.
So, he did play most of his game with Dewar/Duhaime.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Certainly feels like there’s a lot of GM input on personnel decisions. One thing I liked about Fletcher is that there were clear lines between the roles of the GM versus that of the coach. Think when you’ve got a former NHL player running things, you’re battling egos on what the “right” decisions are.

I’ve said my piece on Guerin more than enough, but going into this season with $3.5M in cap space when you’re already $12M in the hole is foolish. Might be more foolish to think Guerin would’ve done anything useful with that cap anyways.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So, he did play most of his game with Dewar/Duhaime.

5v5 the majority of his shifts were with at least one of them. PP it was Freddy G/Hartman. PK it was Boldy. Total ToI he spent more time without them than with them. It all depends on how you want to count it, I guess. :dunno:

Evason toyed with the lineup more than I'm used to seeing, so almost everyone got some ToI together, for more than the 8 secs of line changes.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
5v5 the majority of his shifts were with at least one of them. PP it was Freddy G/Hartman. PK it was Boldy. Total ToI he spent more time without them than with them. It all depends on how you want to count it, I guess. :dunno:

Evason toyed with the lineup more than I'm used to seeing, so almost everyone got some ToI together, for more than the 8 secs of line changes.
It’s a wonder he didn’t score more tonight then. All that prime time with prime time players.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Certainly feels like there’s a lot of GM input on personnel decisions. One thing I liked about Fletcher is that there were clear lines between the roles of the GM versus that of the coach. Think when you’ve got a former NHL player running things, you’re battling egos on what the “right” decisions are.

I’ve said my piece on Guerin more than enough, but going into this season with $3.5M in cap space when you’re already $12M in the hole is foolish. Might be more foolish to think Guerin would’ve done anything useful with that cap anyways.

Probably re-signed D-Lo to a higher stupid contract ($1.75m x 4) than he got from Fletcher.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
2A alarm here in Salzburg!

Bonus points to whoever can manage to cut Mika’s hair 😆; that greasy rat’s nest drives me crazy 😂
It was 2 here in Oslo as well.
Could not agreed more on Zib's hair. It looked like he had tied it up a bit, during the game? At the very least, Shesterkin has had a hair cut. Unfortunately it didn't seems to affect his goaltending.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
While I've to say this wasn't Ross's best career game, he is not the reason why the Wild got blown out. The major reason to this loss where the weak top line, the overall Defense play and of course, MAF.

That being said, Rossi has to be better, regardless of the line he's playing on. But playing on the 4th line may not be the best spot for his developement, because his linemates play a simple dump & chase grinders game while Rossi is a playmaker who is better with the Puck on his stick. His strength is creating plays through passing. That won't happen on the 4th line imo.

So I'm not sure about the intentions of the coaches regarding Rossi playing on the 4th line. But they will come to the conclusion that Rossi won't develop on the 4th line with 10 min TOI - the sooner the better. So there are 2 options: Give Rossi a top 6 role for the next 10 games and see what happens. Or you can send him down to AHL, eating up top line minutes there.

But 10 minutes per game on a grinders line won't help his developement.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Even if you make that argument, it doesn't really explain or excuse why Guerin went out and got a worse goaltender, who Talbot did subsequently play better than while they were both here.
Talbot has been a better goalie than Fleury for maybe a stretch of 30 games in his whole mediocre career.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Which other factors are we appealing to here?

And maybe I should clarify: I don't actually have strong opinions about who should center that line beyond it not being Ek, who's already in the right spot. Between Hartman, Rossi, Steel and Jost, Hartman's the safest based on past performance, but the penalty thing has gone on long enough that his leash should be getting shorter.

So if they start experimenting you can spin the wheel of "not yet very effective young centers" for all I care. If people have a strong desire to see Rossi in that spot I don't have any objections, but from what I've seen of him in the NHL I share the concerns about his overall effectiveness right now. Beyond getting better as the year progresses I don't really have any expectations for him.

Last edited:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities

Outside of the ~PPG AHL play and 8-9 points in 5 preseason games including 2 points/goals playing with Kaprizov.

Let's take all of that and hmmm STEEL! Yes, a guy who has had numerous chances and been wound down to a 4th line/bottom bit player on a bad team.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It is impressive to start the season off with nearly 4 goals allowed above expected. I don’t know if even Dubnyk rivaled that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Outside of the ~PPG AHL play and 8-9 points in 5 preseason games including 2 points/goals playing with Kaprizov.

Let's take all of that and hmmm STEEL! Yes, a guy who has had numerous chances and been wound down to a 4th line/bottom bit player on a bad team.
You know, I blame myself for forgetting that there's no such thing as a lightly held opinion around here.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You know, I blame myself for forgetting that there's no such thing as a lightly held opinion around here.
You should. You've been around us long enough to know we overanalyze everything.

On that note: Fleury sure as hell isn't going to steal any games. This is Backstrom situation all over again. I hope someone has the balls to call out Guerin's obsession over former Pittsburgh players. Maybe Talbot isn't the solution but neither is Fleury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad