Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
Pens are stingy on this kind of thing. Only two numbers retired. One guy died in a car wreck and the other is Mario.

Sid and Geno are by no means guaranteed.

Jagr??? That would be an interesting ceremony to be sure. Do people normally get booed at these things? Haha

RyWy

May 26, 2011
Michigan
Pens are stingy on this kind of thing. Only two numbers retired. One guy died in a car wreck and the other is Mario.

Jagr??? That would be an interesting ceremony to be sure. Do people normally get booed at these things? Haha

You would know better than I would, but I would have thought Sid would almost be a lock, wouldn't he? Turned the franchise around and has been the best player in the league for the last decade.
Geno I can understand not being a guarantee.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
You would know better than I would, but I would have thought Sid would almost be a lock, wouldn't he? Turned the franchise around and has been the best player in the league for the last decade.
Geno I can understand not being a guarantee.

Sid is the best bet for sure but the point is that the Pens don't really retire numbers often. They used to have a "Ring of Honor" at Mellon, where they had pics of past greats but only two numbers hang in the rafters after 50 years.

That said, given the current trajectory I would agree with you that Sid could join the party at some point. A second Cup (possibly in the next few weeks) could help his cause for sure.

Geno? Not sure to be honest because if you put him there then MAF has to go and Letang has to go and Tyler Kennedy has to go.

Things just get out of hand after that... :laugh:

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
You mean the guy that retired in 1997? From 1997-2002 it was Jagr's team.

Yeah, you know the guy that led the Penguins to 2 Stanley Cups in '91 and '92 when Jagr was a rook. Jagr played with the Penguins from 1990-2001. Lemieux retired at the end of the '97 season for cancer and came back in Dec 2000. So at most, Jagr was the face of the Penguins for 3 1/2 seasons and only because Lemieux had to retire prematurely.

Jagr was always the Robin to Lemieux's Batman during his time with the Pens.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I still feel Richards should be retired by Tampa Bay. I feel even he'd take a paycut to return to Tampa Bay his off-season. Plus the only Bolt to wear 19 since he left was JT Brown, but switched to 23.

Burrows for Vancouver.

For the Jets right now I'd say Scheifele, Byfuglien, Little and Wheeler.

You're pretty generous with number retirements. Burrows? Really?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014

Crosby and Malkin are as close to guarantee as you can be unless they **** over franchise or something.

What players do you think should've been retired other than Mario? It's not really many players worth retiring who has done a substantial amount in Pittsburgh jersey. Maybe Barrasso? Maybe some 70s and pre-Mario 80s guys but how many even remember those guys?

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Meh, retired #'s is silly if you ask me. Honor the numbers sure but no need to retire them.

As to Ottawa I think you'll see guys like Spezza, Karlsson and maybe Phillips get their #'s retired.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Sid and/or Geno would have to outright insult the franchise and its fans for their spots to not be guaranteed.

The Pens are stingy with retiring numbers, but as it stands today Sid is 5th in franchise history in games played and will almost certainly end next season 3rd. He's 99 regular season GP behind Jagr and 208 behind Lemieux for the franchise record. Geno is 3 spots lower with 644 GP and could jump Kehoe by next year making him 4th (behind Lemieux, Jagr, & Crosby).

Fleury is also right there, 9 GP ahead of Malkin. That's where the Pens being stingy comes in...Fleury would basically have to win a Cup for the Pens for him in the number retirement discussion. Win a Cup, not be on a Cup-winner.
Sid & Geno have been guarantees for a while now.

The biggest reason the Pens don't have more retired numbers is because very few players have spent 600+ games with the Penguins. An argument could be made for Coffey, but the biggest argument against it is that he played 331 regular season games for the Pens (compared to 532 for the Oilers). Francis played 1,186 games for the Whalers/Hurricanes franchise compared to 533 for the Pens. Murphy played 336 games as a Penguin (hard to get your number retired anywhere when you play for 5 teams for at least 2 full seasons, but never 6 full seasons anywhere), etc. Barrasso played enough for the Pens to have his number retired, but he's not exactly a well-liked person and all of his records have been shattered by the far more likable Fleury.

Last edited:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I'm 50-50 on Linden being retired, but watching Naslund for most of his career, he shouldn't have been retired. The problem with the Sedins is the perception of their work ethics.

Linden was a heart and soul leader of the Canucks most beloved iteration. His work off the ice in the community has not been surpassed. He is the most deserving of all the Canucks retired numbers.

The Sedins will be retired without question and completely deserve it. They are the two best players the Canucks have ever had, rival Linden for their importance in the community and work their frickin butts of for the team.

I agree with you about Naslund. I was not in favour of retiring his number.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't see how my standards are too low.It's getting rarer to spend a significant amount of time on the same franchise, plus a lot of teams don't have a lot of history so retiring jersey numbers would make sense for them.I also said some of those are projections.If Benn's career crashes next year it won't happen for him while a guy like Lecavalier is a lock in Tampa Bay.

Also, recall that I ignored the players that played a long time ago and should have their number retired (Like Red Kelly).

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Zetterberg has a better shot than Datsyuk having been the captain of the team.

Naw, Datsyuk has a better shot because he's more individually accomplished and such a unique talent.

At the end of the day, both might get passed over because the organization ends up deciding that neither have enough cups or individual accomplishment to warrant having their number retired. Tough call, really... Wouldn't be susprised if it went either way.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If things play out as we all hope they should, I don't think anyone will object to Bergeron's number being retired in Boston, whether he makes the Hall or not.

Chara may. I don't know. Would think he makes the HOF but not sure if his number gets retired. But... probably.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Meh, retired #'s is silly if you ask me. Honor the numbers sure but no need to retire them.

As to Ottawa I think you'll see guys like Spezza, Karlsson and maybe Phillips get their #'s retired.

I think you're forgetting someone.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Obviously missing Alfie.. but Spezza and Phillips are # retired worthy in my opinion

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Kiprusoff, probably not. MacInnis isn't retired there because his jersey was retired by St. Louis, I imagine. I'd expect Fleury's to be retired relatively soon.

I don't think they've completely stopped retiring numbers, but they do an "honoured numbers" thing (Forever a Flame - kinda cheesy), which they've applied to MacInnis and Nieuwendyk thus far. I expect Iggy to get a full number retirement, though. They may as well, since nobody's going to wear 12 again for the Flames regardless of what the org does.

What about conroy, if they honored his fleury and Mullen retired there's.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
As for the HHOF vs Retired numbers thing...

Retired numbers due to death:
Barry Ashbee
Bill Barilko
Michel Briere
Frank Finnigan
Bob Gassoff
Keith Magnuson
Bill Masterton
Barclay Plager

Retired but not HHOF:
Rod Brind'Amour - Canes
Neal Broten - Stars
Ken Daneyko - Devils
Adam Foote - Avs
Danny Gare - Sabres
Bill Goldsworthy - North Stars
Adam Graves - Rangers
Al Hamilton - Oilers
Lionel Hitchman - Bruins
Dale Hunter - Caps
Trevor Linden - Canucks
Rick Martin - Sabres
Markus Naslund - Canucks
Bob Nystrom - Isles
Terry O'Reilly - Bruins
Mike Richter - Rangers
Rene Robert - Sabres
Stan Smyl - Canucks
Brian Sutter - Blues
Dave Taylor - Kings
Rogatien Vachon - Kings
Mike Vernon - Flames
Glen Wesley - Canes

Definite HHOF (just not yet):
Teemu Selanne - Ducks
Martin Brodeur - Devils

Other:
Yvon Labre - Scored 1st goal for Caps

So there are 23 or 24 guys in the history of the NHL that are not in the HHOF, and had their numbers retired for other reasons. Most of which were either part of a legacy (The French Connection, a teams 1st cup, or an all-time statistical leader).
A few of those guys vachon, sutter, brindamour, broten and Martin, belong in the hall.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad