Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
What if the flyers retired Lindbergh's number it's out of circulation. But. It needs to be hung up

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Brad Richards's number should be retired by Tampa Bay, he did lots for the team and was a huge part of the Cup run, Boyle should be thrown in there too.

I feel Burrows and Bieksa should get their numbers at least honoured by the Canucks, don't know about retired.

Smyth and Lowe for the Oilers.

Letang for Pittsburgh.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's gonna be a tough decision amongst teams on who is the right one to retire Stempniak's. Hurricanes, Blues, Coyotes, Leafs, Flames, Penguins, Rangers, Jets, Devils, and Bruins can all be justified here IMO. Could have multiple retirements when all is said and done.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I hope Eichel plays well enough in Buffalo for a long enough period of time that his jersey gets to the rafters.

If Miller had stayed here, he would've been a possibility.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's gonna be a tough decision amongst teams on who is the right one to retire Stempniak's. Hurricanes, Blues, Coyotes, Leafs, Flames, Penguins, Rangers, Jets, Devils, and Bruins can all be justified here IMO. Could have multiple retirements when all is said and done.

Might as well have a league-wide retirement at that point. Would be well-deserved.

...I don't want to put this, but I feel like I have to. :sarcasm:

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
Stempniak? Are we kidding? As a Canucks fan, I don't think we should have any numbers retired. Retired is forever. If we retire a number every couple years, within 100 years, there would barely be enough left to fill a 50 man roster. It should be harder than getting into the hall.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
The circumstances of his death will probably prevent that. It's already out of circulation out of respect for him, I don't think it'll be officially retired however.
Yeah cuz he was drinking, but snider was very fond of pelle, and IMO he would want Lindberghs number up there it's long overdue, you can't hold a guy back cuz of drinking and killing yourself I'm sorry to say that but it's true. Let's just say it's been too long.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
What if the flyers retired Lindbergh's number it's out of circulation. But. It needs to be hung up

Flyers Retired # criteria is HHoF that played the majority of his career with the Flyers.

His number deserves to be honored and not worn again. It doesn't need to be in the rafters.

Since Lindros is set to go into the Hall I expect 88 will go in the rafters some time this year.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Since the retirement of Barry Ashbee's number due to the combination of his career being ended by injury, then passing away due to cancer while coaching for the club 3 years later, the Flyers have implemented an explicit policy of only retiring the number of players inducted into the Hall of Fame who played a significant percentage of their career in Philadelphia (read: no Jagr.)

Should Lindros get in, and he should, he will have his number retired (he seems to be on better terms with the club in recent years.) LeClair's 10 and Desjardins's 37 are almost certain never to be retired, though they have both been honored by the club. The only other outside possibility before Giroux would come up would be Rod Brind'Amour, and that's an extreme outlier. (Though I personally would love it; Brindy was always one of my favorite players.)

RE Ashbee; It's not like he was a slouch and just got his # retired because he died. The year he suffered the career ending eye injury the Flyers won their first cup, and he was named to the 2nd team All-Star team. He was +52 that year. I don't think Brindy has the #s to get in the Hall. It would have to be an extremely weak year. It will be interesting to see if the Flyers retire Recchi when he gets in.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The Penguins will definitely not retire Jagr's number and IMO may not ever retire Malkin's. They're stingy.

If Malkin retires a Pen his number will be hanging in the rafters.

Letang if he continues his career the way it is there's a small possibility.

20 years from now there will be only 4 numbers retired. 21, 66, 71, 87.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Penguins will definitely not retire Jagr's number and IMO may not ever retire Malkin's. They're stingy.

I disagree with everything but the Pens being stingy. The Pens are stingy, but it's not like there's a laundry list of guys with 800+ games player as Penguins without their names up in the rafters. Actually the only retired player who played 800+ games as a Penguin is up there, #66. The only other player to play more than 753 games as a Penguin is Jagr, at 806. Crosby and Malkin could both join that exclusive club in 2017-18. Both of those players will almost certainly top Lemieux for the club's GP record as well.

So...yes...the Pens have been stingy. With guys who played ~500 games for the Pens (or in Coffey's case...331).

At this point I think Crosby & Malkin are guaranteed to have their numbers retired in Pittsburgh and there's about a 99% chance Jagr gets his retired. Letang has an outside shot of it if he's still anchoring the Pens defensively in 5 years (562 GP already puts him in the top 5 amongst Penguins defenders). The only way Jagr's number doesn't get retired is if Mario owns the team for the rest of Jagr's life and they have about 3 more falling outs. Frankly as someone who has been on the **** Jagr side of the argument for more than 15 years, I find the argument against Jagr getting his number retired in Pittsburgh to be sheer lunacy. What happened off the ice doesn't overwrite what he did accomplish over the course of more than a decade in Pittsburgh.

Right now the Pens are stingy because they didn't just retire guys who stuck around throughout the 70s (Kehoe & Pronovost) and because they didn't retire the numbers of guys who didn't play the bulk of their careers in Pittsburgh (Francis, Coffey, etc.)...there is no precedent of the Penguins not retiring the number a guy who played a ton of time as a Penguin at an elite level. There's only been two examples of those in Penguins history, one owns the team and the other is still active. You have to make note that 5 of the 8 players who have played the most games with the Penguins are still active in the NHL in general. Jagr holds that #2 spot, while #5-8 are held by Crosby, Orpik, Fleury, and Malkin, respectively.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I think Brad Richards's number should be retired by Tampa Bay, he did lots for the team and was a huge part of the Cup run, Boyle should be thrown in there too.

I feel Burrows and Bieksa should get their numbers at least honoured by the Canucks, don't know about retired.

Smyth and Lowe for the Oilers.

Letang for Pittsburgh.

A Kevin Lowe jersey retirement in Edmonton? Have people ever booed at these things? :laugh:

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
RE Ashbee; It's not like he was a slouch and just got his # retired because he died. The year he suffered the career ending eye injury the Flyers won their first cup, and he was named to the 2nd team All-Star team. He was +52 that year. I don't think Brindy has the #s to get in the Hall. It would have to be an extremely weak year. It will be interesting to see if the Flyers retire Recchi when he gets in.
brindamour will eventually get into the hall.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

No offence, but him passing away so suddenly / early was the reason they retired his number. Don't kid yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad