Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
It's gonna be a tough decision amongst teams on who is the right one to retire Stempniak's. Hurricanes, Blues, Coyotes, Leafs, Flames, Penguins, Rangers, Jets, Devils, and Bruins can all be justified here IMO. Could have multiple retirements when all is said and done.

LOL Stempniak-in the same idea of Bailey and Barilko
Just plain NO.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Doubt anyone will ever wear 1, 13, 14, 17, 27, and 93 for the Leafs ever again, but I doubt any of them will ever be retired. 21 seemed like another number, but JVR is wearing it now and that's ok with me.

Really hoping Gilmour lets Marner wear 93 though, it's for his brother (Born in 93') and dad (Who's favourite player was Gilmour)

Lou is also shying players away from 4, 7 and 9

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Lou might not want Marner wearing 93 because of his low number policy (some exceptions ie. Jagr).

1. "We're not doing things the New Jersey way or the Detroit way, we're doing things the Toronto way"
2. With Lou even steering players away from the honoured numbers, he may have no choice.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I disagree with everything but the Pens being stingy. The Pens are stingy, but it's not like there's a laundry list of guys with 800+ games player as Penguins without their names up in the rafters. Actually the only retired player who played 800+ games as a Penguin is up there, #66. The only other player to play more than 753 games as a Penguin is Jagr, at 806. Crosby and Malkin could both join that exclusive club in 2017-18. Both of those players will almost certainly top Lemieux for the club's GP record as well.

So...yes...the Pens have been stingy. With guys who played ~500 games for the Pens (or in Coffey's case...331).

At this point I think Crosby & Malkin are guaranteed to have their numbers retired in Pittsburgh and there's about a 99% chance Jagr gets his retired. Letang has an outside shot of it if he's still anchoring the Pens defensively in 5 years (562 GP already puts him in the top 5 amongst Penguins defenders). The only way Jagr's number doesn't get retired is if Mario owns the team for the rest of Jagr's life and they have about 3 more falling outs. Frankly as someone who has been on the **** Jagr side of the argument for more than 15 years, I find the argument against Jagr getting his number retired in Pittsburgh to be sheer lunacy. What happened off the ice doesn't overwrite what he did accomplish over the course of more than a decade in Pittsburgh.

I think time heals wounds and eventually the 68 goes to the roof of Consol. Might be a bit of an awkward moment considering there is still some booing to Jagr when he comes back to town. Barring any type of incident with Mario or the Penguins, his number is going up.

Guaranteed:
Crosby, Malkin

Very likely:
Jagr, Letang

Outside chance:
Fleury

If it hasn't happened by now, it's probably not going to:
Coffey, Francis

Not happening, not even for nostalgia reasons:
Barrasso, Stevens

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I feel Bieksa should be retired by the Canucks down the road. Burrows too.
Ryan Smyth for the Oilers.

The ring of honour is for these caliber of players. The Sedins will be retired. Luongo is questionable and I don't think they should do it.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
The ring of honour is for these caliber of players. The Sedins will be retired. Luongo is questionable and I don't think they should do it.

The whole fiasco with his last seasons in Vancouver more or less speaks for itself. If he plays out his contract, I definitely see Luongo's number being retired by Florida.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
For Chicago, this is what I'm expecting:

2 - Keith
7 - Seabrook/Chelios (and many will complain)
19 - Toews
81 - Hossa
88 - Kane

I think that an argument can, and will, be made for 4 (Hjalmarsson), 10 (Sharp), and 50 (Crawford), but the ones above I see as slam dunks that will definitely happen. These three are possible, but I'm not going to say that they will absolutely happen.

Crow has two Cups to his name, and I think a third would definitely do it. Barring that, I think that he needs at least five more great years with us to definitely get #50 retired.

Sharp was a core piece for three wins, but it all depends if the management thinks that every member of the three Cups (so far) club gets in or not.

Same for Hammer, albeit he has the benefit of still being with the club. If this core wins a fourth Cup, I think that definitely does it.

Outside of the current players (or recent) players....

28 - Larmer - think this depends on if he gets into the HOF eventually or not.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015

2 - Keith
19 - Toews
81 - Hossa
88 - Kane

I think that an argument can, and will, be made for 4 (Hjalmarsson), 10 (Sharp), and 50 (Crawford), but the ones above I see as slam dunks that will definitely happen. These three are possible, but I'm not going to say that they will absolutely happen.

Crow has two Cups to his name, and I think a third would definitely do it. Barring that, I think that he needs at least five more great years with us to definitely get #50 retired.

Sharp was a core piece for three wins, but it all depends if the management thinks that every member of the three Cups (so far) club gets in or not.

Same for Hammer, albeit he has the benefit of still being with the club. If this core wins a fourth Cup, I think that definitely does it.

Why hasn't Graham's been hung up. One of the best defensive forwards in history.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
As for Calgary get al Macinnis's number up their get rid of the honored thing and retire his, along with niewundyk, Mullen, and fleury, and maybe conroy.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015

2 - Keith
19 - Toews
81 - Hossa
88 - Kane

larmer will sneak into the hall not next year cuz two first ballot hall of famers with alfie, and Selanne, and my guess is Rex or fleury will be the only Canadian inducted unless kariya goes in before mogilny but 2018 will be larmer brodeur osgood and maybe Rick Martin or tkachuk, cuz with Martin he's passed on and fans in buffalo want him in but I see him getting in in 2019 that class will be fleury, Martin, maybe Pierre turgeon, that's just ruled out very gentleman like player. And my fourth out of the nhlers in that class is guy carbonneau which Him and lehtinen belong in I know lehtinen is a long shot and his stats aren't there cuz of injuries, but he deserves a nod of carbonneau gets in both three selke trophies I mean in the dead puck era too he played as a heart and soul forward. If anyone ever asked you who was the best shutdown forward of the late 90s early 2000s I know some will make a case for Stevie y, and Feds, as well as Ronnie Francis, and peca, but if you ask anyone who was the best shutdown forward of that era other than Stevie y, it's jere lehtinen. Number 26 needs to be retired by the stars. If 56 ever gets retired than 26 is as much deserving for the stars team.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
There's a chance Andrei Markov could have his number retired in Montreal just because of his loyalty alone. Sadly, unless things change I don't see him winning a Cup in Montreal which might hurt his case. He'll at least have his number honoured like the Leafs do for some of their past players but not retire the number.
How can you compare Markov to any of Montreal's retired numbers? Is he comparable even to someone like Saku Koivu?

buffalo you could make a case for peca cause of the selke he won while playing there.

Five years and one individual trophy and a finals appearance means he is forever incomparable in Sabres history? Why? What possible justification is there to say that Mike Peca is such an irreplaceable figure for the Sabres that they should retire his number, eventually, over a decade after he stopped playing for them?

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
St. Louis:
No one

Pietrangelo could be on his way, St. Louis appears to enjoy retiring numbers.Backes could be there too as heart-and-soul guy.

I expect that Chris Pronger's #44 will be retired after his NHL contract is complete. Backes might've been on his way there had he not left this summer.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
How can you compare Markov to any of Montreal's retired numbers? Is he comparable even to someone like Saku Koivu?

Five years and one individual trophy and a finals appearance means he is forever incomparable in Sabres history? Why? What possible justification is there to say that Mike Peca is such an irreplaceable figure for the Sabres that they should retire his number, eventually, over a decade after he stopped playing for them?

Have they been to the finals since peca left. They came close twice with drury donning the c but they couldn't get the magic that the 1999 team had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad