Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Nope.

I've personally felt Osgood should get his number up there, though.

Ozzie I agree with but what about homer or Feds I know some say vladdy but they should honor his, and in a way philly should be honoring Lindbergh's

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Pavel Datsyuk
Sergei Fedorov
Henrik Zetterberg

Honoured nights but not a jersey retirement, Niklas Kronwall and Chris Osgood. I don't think they should have their number retired. Depends how much longer Kronner plays though I suppose. He was the number one guy for a short period and his peak was around 7-12 top D in the NHL. Love Ozzy but no.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Sedins. No one else for the next 10 years. Luongo coulda been if he retired here after a few more solids years.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Do you always call players nick names? I mean once is fine, I know a kid who does this, and I don't know who he's talking about..

Just curious who these players are. lol

Chris osgood. Tomas holmstrom. Nick kronwall. Vladimir konstantinov

Who except maybe osgood (super fringe) should not be retired. And I don't think osgood should

Idk about vladdy. He pretty much is right now.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Toronto's standard is "players who have had their career cut short through death or life-threatening injury" so you better not be projecting that Sundin (whose number is already honoured, by the way) is going to die 16 years ago.

We do retire.
In fact the first of any team in professional sports to retire numbers.

#6, #5

Lou has tried to make sure players don't have the honoured numbers either.
Stalls in the locker room too.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Not a ducks fan but what about kariya, giggy, or niedermayer, and maybe salei.

Giguere's and Niedermayer's numbers have not been used since they retired. I think they should retire their numbers eventually. Taking a number out of circulation but not retiring it has always been a bit silly IMO. Kariya's number would probably be retired if he simply let it go of whatever stupid grudge he still holds against the NHL or the Ducks. Salei's number was out of circulation for a while after his death until Simon Despres joined the team and is now wearing 24 which is fine by me. His number was used plenty of times after he left the team, I see no reason why it should have been taken out in the first place

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Yeah, you're wrong on that one.

Kopitar's only 6th in team career regular season scoring (3rd for playoffs) so I suppose you can ignore the 2 cups and the 9 consecutive years leading the team in scoring if you don't feel that they're criteria for jersey retirement. (5th in scoring is Nichols, number not retired, 1-4 are retired)

Doughty's only 2nd in team career regular season scoring for defensmen (1st for playoffs), so again, if the cups mean nothing you could argue he hasn't quite hit the jersey retirement threshold yet. (1st in scoring is Blake, only defensmen with retired number)

But #32 is a lock. Quick holds all team goaltender records and Vachon's already up in the rafters. And then there's the 2 cups, and the Conn Smythe. Doesn't matter how high your standards are for jersey retirement, Quick has far surpassed all of LA's.

I think the OP nailed it, as much as Brown is disliked here (for a variety of reasons) and on the Kings board due to his contract, he captained the team to 3 of their 4 best seasons ever. He'll likely (unless he doesn't survive the expansion) become the 3rd player to play 1000 games in a Kings uniform, and just the 2nd to do it consecutively. He'll probably finish next season 8th in franchise history in goals & points, 10th in assists.

Kopitar, Doughty and Quick are no-brainers.

Last edited:

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Currently in the league, without projecting too much (say Matthews in Toronto or McDavid in Edmonton) but maybe a little bit (say Taylor Hall or John Tavares), here's my list of players that should have their number retired by the appropriate team.I'm ignoring the personal problems between the player and the organization (think Jaromir Jagr or Martin St. Louis) and going only on merit or probable merit.Take note I also try to "guess" the standards of the franchise.I don't expect Carolina and Montreal to have the same standard for jersey retirement.

If you feel I'm missing some players don't hesitate to comment.

Anaheim:
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry
Scott Niedermayer
Chris Pronger
J.S. Giguere

Arizona:
Shane Doan

Boston:
Patrice Bergeron
Zdeno Chara

Buffalo:
No one.

Calgary:
Jarome Iginla
Miikka Kiprusoff (?)

By the way, why isn't MacInnis retired there? Or Theo Fleury? Or have they stopped retiring numbers and started that silly "honored numbers" thing?

Carolina:
Eric Staal
Cam Ward

Chicago:
Jonathan Toews
Patrick Kane
Duncan Keith

Possibly one or more of Brent Seabrook, Corey Crawford, Marian Hossa or Niklas Hjalmarsson if they really want to go all-in honoring this mini-dynasty.

Of that last group if I had to pick one it would be Seabrook.

Colorado:
Milan Hejduk?

Columbus:
No one.

Unless they retire Rick Nash'.

Dallas Stars:
Jamie Benn (on his way)

Keeping an eye on Tyler Seguin too

Surprised they didn't do it with Derian Hatcher as heart-and-soul guy

Edit: Also forgot about Jere Lehtinen and Sergei Zubov.Surprising not to see their numbers up there.

The topic of this thread is not really about older retired players not having their jersey up in the rafters (like Red Kelly in Detroit(!)), but these two are recent enough.

Detroit:
Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg

Edmonton:
Maybe Taylor Hall if things start to go well and he can shine in the playoffs.

Florida:
No one.

EDIT: Roberto Luongo, went over my head.

Los Angeles:
Drew Doughty
Anze Kopitar
Jonathan Quick
Dustin Brown*

*Based on leadership, heart-and-soul type of player, I put an asterisk because I'm not sure how true this is for Brown in LA.

Minnesota:
Maybe Mikko Koivu, but the franchise's standards are unknown.

Gaborik is unlikely.Ryan Suter is a possibility depending how things turn out and how long he plays there.

Montreal:
Carey Price (on his way)

P.K. Subban could get it if his career from now on would take a very positive direction (and in Montreal obv).

Playoffs success would greatly help both, as Montreal's standards are quite high.

Nashville:
Shea Weber

New Jersey:
Patrik Elias

New York Islanders:
John Tavares (on his way)

New York Rangers:
Henrik Lundqvist
Jaromir Jagr

Ottawa:
Daniel Alfredsson
Jason Spezza (possibly a long time from now)
Chris Phillips*
Erik Karlsson (on his way)

*As heart-and-soul, longevity-with-the-club type of jersey retirement

Philadelphia:
Claude Giroux should get it or be on his way, but the same is true of Eric Lindros.

Even if you want to ignore Lindros, it should be true of John LeClair and Eric Desjardins for recent players.

So the Flyers don't look very interested in retiring anyone who isn't really both spectacular and in good terms with the club.

Pittsburgh:
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Jaromir Jagr

San Jose:
Joe Thornton
Patrick Marleau
Joe Pavelski

St. Louis:
No one

Pietrangelo could be on his way, St. Louis appears to enjoy retiring numbers.Backes could be there too as heart-and-soul guy.

Tampa Bay:
Vincent Lecavalier
Martin St. Louis
Steven Stamkos (What Stamkos did in goal scoring was spectacular enough despite how things are turning out right now)

Keep an eye on Victor Hedman, especially considering the success the team has in the playoff with him as a #1 and his young age.

Same is true of Kucherov, but his career is so short I can<t really take him seriously yet.On the other hand, having back-to-back impressive, deep playoffs run usually leave a mark.

Toronto:
They don't retire number, but Mats Sundin I guess.

Vancouver:
H.Sedin
D.Sedin

Washington:
Alex Ovechkin
Niklas Backstrom (on his way)

Possibly Sergei Gonchar, though it's a stretch.

Winnipeg/Atlanta:
Ilya Kovalchuk*

* I know it won't happen, but he would deserve in general given the relatively empty history of those two franchises (ignoring the old Winnipeg Jet team or the old Atlanta Flames).
buffalo you could make a case for peca cause of the selke he won while playing there.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Giguere's and Niedermayer's numbers have not been used since they retired. I think they should retire their numbers eventually. Taking a number out of circulation but not retiring it has always been a bit silly IMO. Kariya's number would probably be retired if he simply let it go of whatever stupid grudge he still holds against the NHL or the Ducks. Salei's number was out of circulation for a while after his death until Simon Despres joined the team and is now wearing 24 which is fine by me. His number was used plenty of times after he left the team, I see no reason why it should have been taken out in the first place
I think kariya holds a grudge against the NHL for concussions not the ducks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad