Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I'm 50-50 on Linden being retired, but watching Naslund for most of his career, he shouldn't have been retired. The problem with the Sedins is the perception of their work ethics.

That their work ethics are to good you mean?

For example quitting an iron man streak at 679 consecutive games played is of course not equal to say 700 games.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I still feel Richards should be retired by Tampa Bay. I feel even he'd take a paycut to return to Tampa Bay his off-season. Plus the only Bolt to wear 19 since he left was JT Brown, but switched to 23.

Burrows for Vancouver.

For the Jets right now I'd say Scheifele, Byfuglien, Little and Wheeler.

RyWy

May 26, 2011
Michigan
Oh man, some people have some really low standards on what they think it takes to have a number retired. Most of the players named in this thread will not have their number retired.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
As for the HHOF vs Retired numbers thing...

Retired numbers due to death:
Barry Ashbee
Bill Barilko
Michel Briere
Frank Finnigan
Bob Gassoff
Keith Magnuson
Bill Masterton
Barclay Plager

Humm... Finnigan played his last game in the mid-thirties and died in the early nineties, so you definitely might want to check this.

Pretty sure Finnigan's number got retired because he got involved in bringing back the Senators in the NHL, all the while almost certainly the last "original" Senator alive...

EDIT : He wasn't the last original Senator alive (Flash Hollett outlived him by quite a few years, by virtue of being significantly younger, and there might be others), but I'm actually quite certain Finnigan was the last Cup-winning Senator alive.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Doubt anyone will ever wear 1, 13, 14, 17, 27, and 93 for the Leafs ever again, but I doubt any of them will ever be retired. 21 seemed like another number, but JVR is wearing it now and that's ok with me.

Really hoping Gilmour lets Marner wear 93 though, it's for his brother (Born in 93') and dad (Who's favourite player was Gilmour)

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
Alfredsson is the only Senator currently worthy of having his number retired. It wouldn't shock me if Phillips and Neil get their numbers retired because of loyalty but they shouldn't. Karlsson has a strong case but it is too early to say, he could have an ugly split from the team eventually.

Doubt anyone will ever wear 1, 13, 14, 17, 27, and 93 for the Leafs ever again, but I doubt any of them will ever be retired. 21 seemed like another number, but JVR is wearing it now and that's ok with me.

Really hoping Gilmour lets Marner wear 93 though, it's for his brother (Born in 93') and dad (Who's favourite player was Gilmour)

Lou might not want Marner wearing 93 because of his low number policy (some exceptions ie. Jagr).

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Could be wrong bout this or its just my opinion but teams need to stop retiring jerseys of players who only play a handful of seasons for a team. Its suppose to be something special. Although I wasnt happy about it Hunter was there a long time and can understand it. I do think they need to retire bondra's number. Wasted his whole career being the only guy who could score on his team. If they tried to do Oates or Gonchar I wouldnt be happy about it.

My argument is basically Getz and Perry have more right to their numbers being retired (as long as they stay there) then Nieds. Giggy deserves it to. Nieds was there 4 seasons? 5?

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Lundqvist practically had a number retirement ceremony when he broke the win/shutout records.

I'd be OK with Jagr having his retired with the Rangers, not sure it happens though.

I can see McDonagh and Stepan being retired if they spend their careers here and win a cup.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Haters gonna hate, sure they have and that is not up to you to decide (I would say H.S. got a good shot at the HHOF, D.S. an odd chance).

Canucks retired Smyl, Linden and Näslund already so sure, do not retire numbers who have surpassed them in record for team stats.

Sedins' #s are going up for sure.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Bobby Hull - Chicago Blackhawks and Winnipeg Jets/Arizona Coyotes Should just be Chicago in my opinion
Gordie Howe - Detroit Red Wings and Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes Why is this not just Detroit??? I assume it was a formality because he was such a legend and did dawn the number for HFD briefly
[/COLOR]

Hull and Howe both absolutely deserved to have their numbers retired in Winnipeg/Hartford. Both were MVPs, multiple times champions and got on a couple of first all star teams. They were legendary for those franchises for 7/8 seasons.

edit: Mistaken Hartford for Houston, my bad

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Just reading the first page of this thread, the standards to get your jersey # retired are pathetically low around here.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Kings: nobody

Yeah, you're wrong on that one.

Kopitar's only 6th in team career regular season scoring (3rd for playoffs) so I suppose you can ignore the 2 cups and the 9 consecutive years leading the team in scoring if you don't feel that they're criteria for jersey retirement. (5th in scoring is Nichols, number not retired, 1-4 are retired)

Doughty's only 2nd in team career regular season scoring for defensmen (1st for playoffs), so again, if the cups mean nothing you could argue he hasn't quite hit the jersey retirement threshold yet. (1st in scoring is Blake, only defensmen with retired number)

But #32 is a lock. Quick holds all team goaltender records and Vachon's already up in the rafters. And then there's the 2 cups, and the Conn Smythe. Doesn't matter how high your standards are for jersey retirement, Quick has far surpassed all of LA's.

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
Some pretty low standards here. I think jeresy retirement should be a relatively rare thing - honestly I think it is one of the highest honors a player can get. Longevity, loyalty, excellence.

As a Devils fan (many will disagree) but I think only 4, 26, and 30 should be up there. (I completely understand why 3 and 27 are up there but if it was up to me it'd be different)

Catmando

Nov 22, 2015
FL
You gotta think Luongo gets retired in at least one of these places, no?

If there is anyone who gets retired for Florida its Bobby Lu. Holds all our goalie records, face of the franchise, fan favorite etc... if he has 1-2 strong seasons it will happen!

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I still feel Richards should be retired by Tampa Bay. I feel even he'd take a paycut to return to Tampa Bay his off-season. Plus the only Bolt to wear 19 since he left was JT Brown, but switched to 23.

Burrows for Vancouver.

For the Jets right now I'd say Scheifele, Byfuglien, Little and Wheeler.

Can we all agree that this is without a doubt the worst post in this thread and maybe on the entire board?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Random: are relocated teams still keeping jerseys retired from former locations?

Eg: Atlanta players retired in Winnipeg?

Is there a standard on this?

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
Random: are relocated teams still keeping jerseys retired from former locations?

Eg: Atlanta players retired in Winnipeg?

Is there a standard on this?

It's up the the individual franchises. I think the Stars are the only team to hang retirement banners for players that never played in their city.

So proud that we do, too.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Oilers: nobody

Sharks: nobody (Nolan didn't even get retired)

Kings: nobody

Vancouver: nobody (Sedins don't have a history of greatness)

Kopitar, Doughty, Quick and Brown will get retired by the Kings. Brown for longevity, captaincy and commitment to the community. Quick already owns every goalie record in the franchise. If Rob Blake got his number retired, then Doughty will certainly get his number retired as well and Blake is not well liked by Kings fans. Kopitar by the time his contract is up will be one of the franchise leaders in points and games played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad