Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
So why hasn't the Sens retired Alfie's number yet or even announced it?

Is it Melnyk who can't afford a $200 silk banner?

Reactions: ShonSaunders

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Zetterberg and Datsyuk will be tough. They would certainly be retired by all the other teams. Heck, they would probably have a better shot in Montréal than Detroit. While it didn't work for Fedorov, if they are enshrined into the Hall of Fame as a career Red Wing, I think it will be tough for mr. little ceasar to say no.

What would actually be the deciding choice for me regarding Z and Dats is that there will be quite a while before they get another player to retire so it's not like the rafters will be cluttered.

Meatwad

Feb 17, 2004
Vancouver
I def see Phillips getting serious consideration from Ottawa. The guy spent his entire career there too, similar to how Ken Danyeko got his number retired by the Devils but obviously with 3 cups.

Ohlund #2 I consider a possibility for Vancouver but very slight.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Jagr will not be retired by the Rangers. Lundqvist's #30 is guaranteed. Lot can change, but if the Rangers win a cup McDonagh's will absolutely be, and if he spends his career here Stepan probably might have a shot.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary:
Jarome Iginla
Miikka Kiprusoff (?)

By the way, why isn't MacInnis retired there? Or Theo Fleury? Or have they stopped retiring numbers and started that silly "honored numbers" thing?

I've heard the Flames offered it to MacInnis but he wanted the Blues to retire it first, and seeing as he decided to enter the HHOF as a Blues it suggested he took more pride with them.

Fleury left on bad terms and doesn't have enough self-awareness to shut up. He's unclassy. I'm not saying he's a bad person, especially with his charity work. And I understand (to put it mildly) he endured horrible stuff. But he's still unclassy. The Flames gave him the ultimate send-off to his career by giving him the chance in preseason, to give him one last time of an entire arena shouting his name while he skates for the team. Instead of going out with dignity when it was apparent he didn't have the skating ability to play in today's game, he instead berates the Flames for choosing players like Conroy over him. Of course that was probably to stay in the media spotlight due to his autobiography "coincidentally" coming out the same time. If he could just shut up and stop being Theo for a couple years, he probably would have already had it retired.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
For the Devils, probably just Elias.

I don't think Schneider will have his jersey retired. IMO, a jersey retirement should be for the elite of the elite. There should be Cups behind them.

Daneyko probably shouldn't have had his jersey retired but we're going to have 5 numbers retired for the Devils run from 1994-2012 that included 3 cups, 5 finals, etc. That feels like a good ratio.

Yea, I know the point is to honor great players but great players also need great moments to be remembered by and most of these involve the Cup. Unless we somehow win one with Schneider here and he plays a major role (i think one Cup alone wouldn't do it), I could see it.. but not if he just continues being elite and we don't win one.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Pens are very stingy with retiring numbers, but it's hard to argue against 68, 71, & 87 going up there.

Jagr may wait a little while after finally retiring, but it'll happen.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Tavares has done it, his number will be retired. As long as he stays here his entire career, no one will ever wear #91 again.

Leddy could be on his way too. I love this kid.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Is that supposed to be a joke???

Not to just single you out, but some of the suggestions in the OP and the posts that follow are downright laughable. You people really need to learn what it takes to get a # retired. For starters, you better be in the HOF. And then, not just in it, but one of the better players.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Right now it's only Thornton and Marleau for the Sharks

No, if you go by the OP's standards its Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Burns and jsut on the outside, but tracking towards a jersey retirement are Hertl and Jones. Wingels might get one too for being there a long time which I learned in this thread is somehow worthy of getting enshrined.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Is that supposed to be a joke???

Not to just single you out, but some of the suggestions in the OP and the posts that follow are downright laughable. You people really need to learn what it takes to get a # retired. For starters, you better be in the HOF. And then, not just in it, but one of the better players.

unless the isles win a cup, theres no way I see leddy getting his number retired. Tavares however will have a great chance to, he turned this organization around and continues to be one of the best in the game year in and year out.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
[NHL][/NHL]
unless the isles win a cup, theres no way I see leddy getting his number retired. Tavares however will have a great chance to, he turned this organization around and continues to be one of the best in the game year in and year out.

Islanders need to do a lot more than win a Cup for Leddy to be in the mix. Or I should say, Leddy needs to do a lot more. For starters, maybe he should make an all star game. Guy has never even been an all star and someone is talking about retiring his number?

So far his CV looks like this...
-Minnesota HS player of the year
-WJC Bronze
- way back seat passenger on 2 Cups.

LOL, retire that man's number!

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Scott Niedermayer
Chris Pronger
Jarome Iginla
Henrik Lundqvist
Jaromir Jagr
Daniel Alfredsson
Sidney Crosby
Jaromir Jagr
Mats Sundin
Alex Ovechkin

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
So why hasn't the Sens retired Alfie's number yet or even announced it?

Is it Melnyk who can't afford a $200 silk banner?

Considering he's working for the Sens with management, it probably is just haven't gotten around to picking a date.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
[NHL][/NHL]

Islanders need to do a lot more than win a Cup for Leddy to be in the mix. Or I should say, Leddy needs to do a lot more. For starters, maybe he should make an all star game. Guy has never even been an all star and someone is talking about retiring his number?

So far his CV looks like this...
-Minnesota HS player of the year
-WJC Bronze
- way back seat passenger on 2 Cups.

LOL, retire that man's number!

Retiring a number has a lot more to do with importance to the team, not necessarily personal achievements.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
In terms of jersey retirement, Hall and McDavid are at the same level - i.e. they haven't really done anything at all yet.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Is it normal for a player to have multiple teams retire his number? I can't think of an example.

Niedermayer's number is retired with the Devils (as oppose to the Ducks, who you have listed as a possibility in the future).

Overall I feel your list is very generous, OP. Players need to spend a great deal of their career with one organization (50%+), perform as a top player, and usually win a Cup (or get close) to get consideration.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Is it normal for a player to have multiple teams retire his number? I can't think of an example.

Niedermayer's number is retired with the Devils (as oppose to the Ducks, who you have listed as a possibility in the future).

Mark Messier, Patrick Roy, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky and Ray Bourque are the only ones.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Tavares has done it, his number will be retired. As long as he stays here his entire career, no one will ever wear #91 again.

Leddy could be on his way too. I love this kid.

This is just a littttlllleeee bit premature.

Overall I feel your list is very generous, OP. Players need to spend a great deal of their career with one organization (50%+), perform as a top player, and usually win a Cup (or get close) to get consideration.

Gretzky:sarcasm:

Edit: But seriously Gretzky, Messier, Hull, Howe, Bourque, Roy are the only ones.

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I def see Phillips getting serious consideration from Ottawa. The guy spent his entire career there too, similar to how Ken Danyeko got his number retired by the Devils but obviously with 3 cups.

Ohlund #2 I consider a possibility for Vancouver but very slight.

Phillips won't get retired, maybe honored but even the it's unlikely.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Retiring a number has a lot more to do with importance to the team, not necessarily personal achievements.

How many retired number players in the NHL aren't in the HOF?

Aside from guys who suffered serious injury/death early in career and had numbers retired because of that.

So, I read earlier in this thread that Danyko was retired by New Jersey. Anyone else retired who isn't also in the HOF?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
How many retired number players in the NHL aren't in the HOF?

Aside from guys who suffered serious injury/death early in career and had numbers retired because of that.

So, I read earlier in this thread that Danyko was retired by New Jersey. Anyone else retired who isn't also in the HOF?

34 players have their number retired but are not in the hall of fame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad