Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
34 players have their number retired but are not in the hall of fame.

I've listed them below alphabetically:

Barry Ashbee - Flyers
Bill Barilko - Leafs
Michel Briere - Pens
Rod Brind'Amour - Canes
Martin Brodeur - Devils (Will obviously be in the HHOF soon)
Neal Broten - Stars
Ken Daneyko - Devils
Frank Finnigan - Sens
Adam Foote - Avs
Danny Gare - Sabres
Bob Gassoff - Blues
Bill Goldsworthy - North Stars
Adam Graves - Rangers
Al Hamilton - Oilers
Lionel Hitchman - Bruins
Dale Hunter - Caps
Yvon Labre - Caps
Trevor Linden - Canucks
Keith Magnuson - Hawks
Rick Martin - Sabres
Bill Masterton - North Stars
Markus Naslund - Canucks
Bob Nystrom - Isles
Terry O'Reilly - Bruins
Barclay Plager - Blues
Mike Richter - Rangers
Rene Robert - Sabres
Teemu Selanne - Ducks (will be in HHOF when eligible)
Stan Smyl - Canucks
Brian Sutter - Blues
Dave Taylor - Kings
Rogatien Vachon - Kings
Mike Vernon - Flames
Glen Wesley - Canes

Edit - Here it is sorted by team as well:

Adam Foote - Avs
Keith Magnuson - Blackhawks
Bob Gassoff - Blues
Barclay Plager - Blues
Brian Sutter - Blues
Lionel Hitchman - Bruins
Terry O'Reilly - Bruins
Trevor Linden - Canucks
Markus Naslund - Canucks
Stan Smyl - Canucks
Dale Hunter - Caps
Yvon Labre - Caps
Ken Daneyko - Devils
Mike Vernon - Flames
Barry Ashbee - Flyers
Rod Brind'Amour - Hurricanes
Glen Wesley - Hurricanes
Bob Nystrom - Isles
Dave Taylor - Kings
Rogatien Vachon - Kings
Bill Barilko - Maple Leafs
Al Hamilton - Oilers
Michel Briere - Pens
Adam Graves - Rangers
Mike Richter - Rangers
Danny Gare - Sabres
Rick Martin - Sabres
Rene Robert - Sabres
Frank Finnigan - Sens
Neal Broten - Stars

Last edited:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Is it normal for a player to have multiple teams retire his number? I can't think of an example.

Niedermayer's number is retired with the Devils (as oppose to the Ducks, who you have listed as a possibility in the future).

Overall I feel your list is very generous, OP. Players need to spend a great deal of their career with one organization (50%+), perform as a top player, and usually win a Cup (or get close) to get consideration.

To answer my own post and expand on other responses. Here are the 6 that have jerseys retired by 2+ teams:

Bobby Hull - Chicago Blackhawks and Winnipeg Jets/Arizona Coyotes Should just be Chicago in my opinion
Gordie Howe - Detroit Red Wings and Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes Why is this not just Detroit??? I assume it was a formality because he was such a legend and did dawn the number for HFD briefly
Wayne Gretzky - Edmonton Oilers and Los Angeles Kings (also retired league-wide) Obviously knew his was, but didn't count it because league wide reitrement
Ray Bourque - Boston Bruins and Colorado Avalanche Who hears Ray Bourque and thinks anything other than Bruins? Same situation as Howe I guess
Mark Messier - New York Rangers and Edmonton Oilers This I should have known
Patrick Roy - Colorado Avalanche and Montreal Canadiens Should have known this as well

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I've listed them below alphabetically:

Barry Ashbee - Flyers
Bill Barilko - Leafs
Michel Briere - Pens
Rod Brind'Amour - Canes
Neal Broten - Stars
Ken Daneyko - Devils
Frank Finnigan - Sens
Adam Foote - Avs
Danny Gare - Sabres
Bob Gassoff - Blues
Adam Graves - Rangers
Al Hamilton - Oilers
Lionel Hitchman - Bruins
Dale Hunter - Caps
Yvon Labre - Caps
Trevor Linden - Canucks
Keith Magnuson - Hawks
Rick Martin - Sabres
Markus Naslund - Canucks
Bob Nystrom - Isles
Terry O'Reilly - Bruins
Barclay Plager - Blues
Mike Richter - Rangers
Rene Robert - Sabres
Stan Smyl - Canucks
Brian Sutter - Blues
Dave Taylor - Kings
Rogatien Vachon - Kings
Mike Vernon - Flames
Glen Wesley - Canes

I looked up a bunch of those and there are several that got in cause they died early. Also, several got in cause they played for teams with little to ho history so they retired numbers just for the hell of it (looking at you Washington Capitals).

Then you got some guys who played for a team for 20 years.

Then you have some that got in for non playing reasons like Finnigan.

So there's probably less than 15 players in NHL history, not in the HOF, who have gotten their numbers retired for legitimate on-ice reasons. And all of those guys have much better resumes than Nick Leddy.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
There's a chance Andrei Markov could have his number retired in Montreal just because of his loyalty alone. Sadly, unless things change I don't see him winning a Cup in Montreal which might hurt his case. He'll at least have his number honoured like the Leafs do for some of their past players but not retire the number.

I think Carey Price will definitely have his retired when all is said and done unless he leaves when his contract is up. Considering he set the wins record last season, all he needs is a Cup and it's guaranteed, IMO.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
As for the HHOF vs Retired numbers thing...

Retired numbers due to death:
Barry Ashbee
Bill Barilko
Michel Briere
Frank Finnigan
Bob Gassoff
Keith Magnuson
Bill Masterton
Barclay Plager

Retired but not HHOF:
Rod Brind'Amour - Canes
Neal Broten - Stars
Ken Daneyko - Devils
Adam Foote - Avs
Danny Gare - Sabres
Adam Graves - Rangers
Al Hamilton - Oilers
Lionel Hitchman - Bruins
Dale Hunter - Caps
Trevor Linden - Canucks
Rick Martin - Sabres
Markus Naslund - Canucks
Bob Nystrom - Isles
Terry O'Reilly - Bruins
Mike Richter - Rangers
Rene Robert - Sabres
Stan Smyl - Canucks
Brian Sutter - Blues
Dave Taylor - Kings
Rogatien Vachon - Kings
Mike Vernon - Flames
Glen Wesley - Canes

Definite HHOF (just not yet):
Teemu Selanne - Ducks
Martin Brodeur - Devils

Other:
Yvon Labre - Scored 1st goal for Caps

So there are 23 or 24 guys in the history of the NHL that are not in the HHOF, and had their numbers retired for other reasons. Most of which were either part of a legacy (The French Connection, a teams 1st cup, or an all-time statistical leader).

STC

Oct 29, 2012
As for the HHOF vs Retired numbers thing...

So there are 23 or 24 guys in the history of the NHL that are not in the HHOF, and had their numbers retired for other reasons. Most of which were either part of a legacy (The French Connection, a teams 1st cup, or an all-time statistical leader).

So in other words, not Nick Leddy.

Thanks for taking the time to post that list broken down like that.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Crosby is for sure gonna have his number up there. Hopefully Geno too.

Lol at people who still think Pittsburgh will retire Jagr's number. He doesn't care about the organization so why should they honour him??

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia:
Claude Giroux should get it or be on his way, but the same is true of Eric Lindros.

Even if you want to ignore Lindros, it should be true of John LeClair and Eric Desjardins for recent players.

So the Flyers don't look very interested in retiring anyone who isn't really both spectacular and in good terms with the club.

Since the retirement of Barry Ashbee's number due to the combination of his career being ended by injury, then passing away due to cancer while coaching for the club 3 years later, the Flyers have implemented an explicit policy of only retiring the number of players inducted into the Hall of Fame who played a significant percentage of their career in Philadelphia (read: no Jagr.)

Should Lindros get in, and he should, he will have his number retired (he seems to be on better terms with the club in recent years.) LeClair's 10 and Desjardins's 37 are almost certain never to be retired, though they have both been honored by the club. The only other outside possibility before Giroux would come up would be Rod Brind'Amour, and that's an extreme outlier. (Though I personally would love it; Brindy was always one of my favorite players.)

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Scott Niedermayer
Chris Pronger
Jarome Iginla
Henrik Lundqvist
Jaromir Jagr
Daniel Alfredsson
Sidney Crosby
Jaromir Jagr
Mats Sundin
Alex Ovechkin
*coughs*

Toronto's standard is "players who have had their career cut short through death or life-threatening injury" so you better not be projecting that Sundin (whose number is already honoured, by the way) is going to die 16 years ago.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Rick Nash's #61 will never be worn in Columbus again. I don't know if it will ever be officially retired, but it won't be worn again.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Blackhawks only retire HHOF'ers numbers, aside from Magnuson, who died tragically. That's why they still have Larmer, Wilson etc numbers in circulation. Chelios they are just ******** about.

So using that criteria, Keith is a lock, Toews & Kane are likely. Hossa too as well.

Seabrook I think they will do with Chelios, and Bathgate-Graves it as a duo. At that point it'll be over 20 years since he left so all should be ok by then.

Never got the Bourque in COL thing. Guy played 1.25 seasons with them yes he was elite, yes he did win his only title there/iconic moment, but its a little much.

Then again, the Miami heat retired MJ's 23 even tho he did not play a single second of basketball for them :laugh:

miami9jordan-jersey-miami-751361.jpg

**Marino jersey is there for Miami respect, #13 isn't retired by the team**

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Crosby is for sure gonna have his number up there. Hopefully Geno too.

Lol at people who still think Pittsburgh will retire Jagr's number. He doesn't care about the organization so why should they honour him??

Because he carried the team for a solid 6-7 years? / was face of the franchise / kept them relevant / was arguably the leagues best player during the same time.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Oilers: nobody

Sharks: nobody (Nolan didn't even get retired)

Kings: nobody

Vancouver: nobody (Sedins don't have a history of greatness)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Pronger's 3 seasons in Anaheim gets his number retired? I have my doubts about Niedermayer too, but he was there a little longer.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Not zetterberg. He hasn't done near enough yet

I would give it to datsyuk. But it's 50-50 usually for everyone

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I feel the same about #94 in Edmonton. They'll never give it out again, but I have a hard time seeing them retiring it.

This makes no sense. They won't retire the number, but they won't let anyone else wear it? Just retire it if you don't want anyone else wearing it. Isn't that the whole point of retiring a number?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
This makes no sense. They won't retire the number, but they won't let anyone else wear it? Just retire it if you don't want anyone else wearing it. Isn't that the whole point of retiring a number?

They've got a policy about only retiring numbers if the player is in the HHOF, and as much as I love Smytty I don't think he'll be getting there. They should break it in this instance IMO but I doubt they will.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
They've got a policy about only retiring numbers if the player is in the HHOF, and as much as I love Smytty I don't think he'll be getting there. They should break it in this instance IMO but I doubt they will.

Oh, I didn't know that about the Oilers. My bad.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Oilers: nobody

Sharks: nobody (Nolan didn't even get retired)

Kings: nobody

Vancouver: nobody (Sedins don't have a history of greatness)

Haters gonna hate, sure they have and that is not up to you to decide (I would say H.S. got a good shot at the HHOF, D.S. an odd chance).

Canucks retired Smyl, Linden and Näslund already so sure, do not retire numbers who have surpassed them in record for team stats.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Haters gonna hate, sure they have and that is not up to you to decide (I would say H.S. got a good shot at the HHOF, D.S. an odd chance).

Canucks retired Smyl, Linden and Näslund already so sure, do not retire numbers who have surpassed them in record for team stats.

I'm 50-50 on Linden being retired, but watching Naslund for most of his career, he shouldn't have been retired. The problem with the Sedins is the perception of their work ethics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad