Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Honour numbers, fine. Put up a ring of honour or even hang banners with the player and the number.
I like seeing players get given a number of a former great. In soccer for example, to be given the number 9 or 10 is a great honour. Each team has a number made special by certain players. I love the tradition of looking back on a number and seeing all the greats who have worn it.

Clearly soccer is important to you based on your avatar. That is their tradition. Its not the NA tradition. Its not how we do things in the US. There is only 1 #3 in Yankees history. Only 1 #12 in Dallas Cowboy's history. Only 1 #4 in Boston. I mean, come on. What player in their right mind would wear 4 on the Bruins?

Reactions: Sentinel

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Perhaps you fans of retiring #s should just retire the # of every player and then have guys play themselves off.

Personally I prefer to honour the player.

:facepalm:. Retiring a hall of famer equals retiring all the numbers. Sweet

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Clearly soccer is important to you based on your avatar. That is their tradition. Its not the NA tradition. Its not how we do things in the US. There is only 1 #3 in Yankees history. Only 1 #12 in Dallas Cowboy's history. Only 1 #4 in Boston. I mean, come on. What player in their right mind would wear 4 on the Bruins?
I know it's not the NA tradition, but I still think it's wrong. The biggest issue is that if you are going to retire numbers, it better be for clear legends.
Teams like Chicago talking about retiring Crawford & Hossa are a joke.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015

I think we should take a page out of soccer's book. The low bar set for retiring good hockey numbers is way too low. It's gotten way out of hand. There needs to be a correction. Unfortunately, the only solution is for the NHL to unretire ALL numbers and scape this practice once and for all. This may seem unfair to those who truly deserve this honor, but singling certain guys out for unretirement would just cause too many hard feelings.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I know it's not the NA tradition, but I still think it's wrong. The biggest issue is that if you are going to retire numbers, it better be for clear legends.

Hossa was a key part of 3 championship teams, Crawford 2. Teams like to reward success.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I know this is an older thread, but not even half of that list deserves jersey retirement. Nowhere near. Guys like Pavelski? Come on. He won't even make the HHOF.

Dustin Brown!?!?

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think we should take a page out of soccer's book. The low bar set for retiring good hockey numbers is way too low. It's gotten way out of hand. There needs to be a correction. Unfortunately, the only solution is for the NHL to unretire ALL numbers and scape this practice once and for all. This may seem unfair to those who truly deserve this honor, but singling certain guys out for unretirement would just cause too many hard feelings.

Raise the bar then. Nobody on the Boston Bruins should ever where 4 again. Period.

Reactions: Sentinel

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Ok...That's a joke. Fix it. Don't eliminate it. MLB has retired 42 league wide. No NHL player should be wearing 99. Certainly not one in Edmonton. Should Edmonton be telling McDavid he has to wear 99? Should the Capitals have told Ov that he had to wear 5? Crawford is not Tony Esposito for sure. That doesn't mean that 9 or 21 shouldn't be retired in Chicago.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Txpd can GIT IT.... Rarely have I found something I agree with more. The football (soccer) world is a totally different breed because these are individuals recognized at a world level across multiple leagues of the same sport.

People can argue Ronaldo is GOAT have a valid point. He might well be. Here is a man who has enjoyed his career in English, Spanish and Italian leagues who represents Portugal internationally and has represented each of that country's most prestigious clubs. But in the USA our athletes stay here and I promise you what Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr did means little to that fan of SKA St. Petersburg or Turku HC or MODO HC. The NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB stay on the same continent. Numbers don't get retired and are reserved for legends because they come and go in world football. It is more organized than North American sports could ever hope to be. Where else was Babe Ruth gonna play? Japan?? Bobby Orr in Sweden?? Michael Jordan in Turkey??

If we retired numbers for every great on a football club there'd be no numbers left on any club anywhere. Of course it's European tradition to not retire the number. But in North America we surely could never retire a number until a number is sullied by a lesser talent. I think purists should be thakful
it was Ray Bourque who wore #7 before it was retired and not someone else

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I know this is an older thread, but not even half of that list deserves jersey retirement. Nowhere near. Guys like Pavelski? Come on. He won't even make the HHOF.

Dustin Brown!?!?

Captained the team to its first Stanley Cup, most games played in an LA kings uniform, probably will be top 5 most LA Kings statistics. Yeah he's getting his number retired.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Why do people keep saying Gonchar for Washington? He was good when he was here, and he participated in the '98 Cup run, but he's not even in the top 5 all time for defensemen in Washington. I don't know any Caps fans that actually think he's deserving of a number retiring, and the team let Jeff friggin' Schultz wear his number only like 4 years after he left.

Conversely, no one has worn #12 Bondra or #37 Kolzig since either left DC. There is a reason for that, those numbers are earmarked.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Giroux’s 28 will be retired pretty quickly after he does I reckon.

Flyers have pretty much established that you not only have to have been a key player in the franchise's history, but that you also need to be enshrined in the HOF. I think Giroux is likely to get into the HOF, but it may take a little bit. That said, the number likely won't be available after Giroux retires until he gets in.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Way to completely, and I mean completely, miss the point.

Retire all the numbers/players and have the players play themselves off. I realize this is sarcasm. We think too many numbers are retired. Too many numbers isn't fixed by stopping the practice entirely.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Hypothetically, if the NHL wiped out the team retired numbers and just went to league wide retired numbers only reserved for Legends, what numbers would they be?

4, 9, 66, 99?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
joe-montana-624x624.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad