Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Just a conversation starter because I’m torn on raising any numbers outside of 37,33 but wouldn’t be upset with these two depending on how they finish there careers.
What do you think about Krejci’s 46 going to the rafters?
Kinda gets over looked but he’s been here since the start and been dominant in our 2 playoff runs to the finals, winning it all with him leading in scoring in 2011.
I think if Tuukka gets us another cup and finishes his years in Boston he has a chance considering all the records he’s beat and holds for our franchise.

I’m going to have to pass on Krejci and Rask.

Krejci is a fine player to be sure, and has produced in the playoffs, but doesn’t pass the muster. Hall of Famers Brad Park and Jean Ratelle aren’t up there, even if they didn’t play their whole careers in Boston. Both more deserving than Krejci.

As for Rask... at present he’s too inconsistent. And even if he wins the Cup, I think Gerry Cheevers and Frank Brimsek are ahead of him in terms winning with the Bruins. Two Cups each.

Reactions: Btown

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
The Blackhawks are an interesting case. They only have 7 numbers retired but none of those players won more than 1 title.

Thus I think Kane, Toews, Keith and Hossa should all get their numbers retired. Maybe even Patrick Sharp.

The Wings are real tough with their numbers. I think Zetterberg is a lock because he played his entire 15 year career in Detroit, was the Captain, performed well in the playoffs and got a Smythe. Datsyuk is likely with his Selke, Byngs and again his entire career on the team. Fedorov might be left out because of how he left and considering how loaded those teams were his 3 rings might not be enough with Yzerman and Lidstrom being the big dogs.

Dylan Larkin looks seriously primed if he plays 13-15 years like Zetterberg/Datsyuk for the team. Being a native after all.

Last edited:

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
The Blackhawks are an interesting case. They only have 7 numbers retired but none of those players won more than 1 title.

Thus I think Kane, Toews, Keith and Hossa should all get their numbers retired. Maybe even Patrick Sharp.

The Wings are real tough with their numbers. I think Zetterberg is a lock because he played his entire 15 year career in Detroit, was the Captain, performed well in the playoffs and got a Smythe. Datsyuk is likely with his Selke, Byngs and again his entire career on the team. Fedorov might be left out because of how he left and considering how loaded those teams were his 3 rings might not be enough with Yzerman and Lidstrom being the big dogs.

Dylan Larkin looks seriously primed if he plays 13-15 years like Zetterberg/Datsyuk for the team. Being a native after all.
Ik that fedorov and the wings are supposedly on better terms.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think the Rangers and Blues should have Gretzky banners, but not the rest of the NHL, in fact it should be unretired league-wide.

Fedorov, Zetterberg and Datsyuk with Detroit, but Larkin looks to be on his way with that club.

Scheifele and Wheeler for Winnipeg.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't think Islanders are retiring 91. What has he accomplished with them? Granted its not all his fault, but still. Fans don't like him.
Do it for the REAL 91!!!!!!!!!
FB_IMG_1555709071199.jpg

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
What about recchi or leclair for philly, even if leclair doesn't make the hall should he gets his number retired. And should carbonneau's number 21 be hung up at the bell centre in Montreal, imo it should be. And who's next for the flames if Theo fleury makes the hall, yes I do see him getting his number retired, kipper they can give him and Craig conroy that forever a flame thing where their jerseys aren't retired but honored and kept in circulation. Yeah 24 & 34 can be honored, same with 39 for dougie gilmour give him the forever a flame honor. 7 should get the forever a flame thing for Joey Mullen. 2 should be hanging next to iggy's number 12. The best team that nieuwendyk has a chance that have his number retired is Dallas. I can see 25 hanging from the American Airlines center eventually. The forever a flame thing is like a ring of honor. It's a ring of honor without a ring.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
97 for the Oilers. Draisaitl's 29 would be a stretch.

I'd like to see Weight and Smyth's number in the rafters. Even if they aren't retired, they deserve to be honoured. They were basically the most recognizable Oilers of the 90s.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
97 for the Oilers. Draisaitl's 29 would be a stretch.

I'd like to see Weight and Smyth's number in the rafters. Even if they aren't retired, they deserve to be honoured. They were basically the most recognizable Oilers of the 90s.
What about Kevin Lowe should 4 be hung up in Edmonton

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
What about Kevin Lowe should 4 be hung up in Edmonton
I agree, but I'd wait until hes both retired and the Oilers are making the playoffs. All will be forgiven if he isn't with the team and the team has recovered from the old boys club. If they were to do it now, he'd get booed and it would be awkward.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If the Sens have their way, local legends Cody Ceci and Mark Borowiecki will have their numbers in the rafters one day.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
If luongo gets his number 1 hung up in Florida, do you guys think beezer's number 34 should go up and what about 55 for jovanovski, and two honorable mentions are 27 for Scott mellanby, and 10 for pavel bure even though he only played 3 1/2 years there he won two Rocket Richards.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Does Anaheim ever retire giggy's number 35 or guy hebert's number 31. There the only two I can think of that deserve to be either retired or honored.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Do al maccinis and theorem fleury deserve to have there number hung up at the scotiabank saddledome. And do Doug gilmour, Craig conroy, & kipper deserve to get the forever a flame honor which is basically your number is honored but is in circulation.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
With the rumor that Yzerman is trying to bring in Fedorov into the organization again, that would be the perfect time to finally officially retire the #91.

Reactions: um

slicedbread

Oct 27, 2015
Ostrava
Colorado won’t retire Hejduk (if they’ve wanted to it would have been done by now)

For all I know - Elias is already hanging from the rafters

Pittsburgh will definitely retire 68 (i take Marios word for it)

Honestly, I wonder if #68 will be retired league-wide

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Colorado won’t retire Hejduk (if they’ve wanted to it would have been done by now)

For all I know - Elias is already hanging from the rafters

Pittsburgh will definitely retire 68 (i take Marios word for it)

Attachments

• 58606943-AAE9-4CBF-A032-7865940306C1.jpeg
    58606943-AAE9-4CBF-A032-7865940306C1.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 21

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008

It won't, nor should it be retired.

If the teams that he once played for want to do it, that's fine. But why should a team like the Knights have #68 hanging from the rafters?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad