Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hypothetically, if the NHL wiped out the team retired numbers and just went to league wide retired numbers only reserved for Legends, what numbers would they be?

4, 9, 66, 99?

I am not sure why you would do that as each team has its own history that they want to promote and enjoy. Which 9 are you celebrating? Howe? Hull? Richard? Which Capitals player do you want to see in 8 next decade?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Retire all the numbers/players and have the players play themselves off. I realize this is sarcasm. We think too many numbers are retired. Too many numbers isn't fixed by stopping the practice entirely.

Retiring #s and not just honouring the player reeks like a short sighted government program type decision.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
huh? Just so I get you. You think having another Boston Bruin wear 4 or Capital wear 8 is a good idea?

I see nothing wrong with it. It's a fricking # dude. Put up a banner which honours the player. This whole concept that any single player is above the team/organization is inane as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: varsaku and Pi

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
If things play out as we all hope they should, I don't think anyone will object to Bergeron's number being retired in Boston, whether he makes the Hall or not.

Chara may. I don't know. Would think he makes the HOF but not sure if his number gets retired. But... probably.
No brainer on both Z and Bergy.

Depending on the next few yeas, I could see Tuukka being retired.

I wish they'd retire Ace Bailey's number.

Reactions: b in vancouver

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
No brainer on both Z and Bergy.

Depending on the next few yeas, I could see Tuukka being retired.

I wish they'd retire Ace Bailey's number.

I’m certain they’ll retire 33 and 37.

Even if Tuukka wins the Cup a couple of times, it’s a long shot.

The Bruins never retired #30 for Cheevers (two Cups, HHOF) or #1 for either Frank Brimsek or Tiny Thompson (three Cups between them, both in the HHOF). For some reason, the Bruins have never retired a goalie’s number.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I know the Islanders have Biggie's number hanging in the rafters, but there isn't even an Atlanta team anymore, and I think there's a number of players who deserve their number retired before Future.

Reactions: sabremike

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Stamkos is a lock, and hedman probably too. Kuch is likely if he stays elite for a few more years

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Hypothetically, if the NHL wiped out the team retired numbers and just went to league wide retired numbers only reserved for Legends, what numbers would they be?

4, 9, 66, 99?
Even if it's just stupid to retire a number league wide, 99 and 66 are easy numbers to retire league wide because they were so uncommon before Gretzky and Lemieux. And nowadays even if 66 is not retired league wide, I never see a good/great player wearing it for obvious reasons.

However 4 and 9 are pretty common numbers since forever and in Montreal number 4 is Jean Béliveau not Bobby Orr and especially number 9 is Maurice "Rocket" Richard not Gordie Howe.

Reactions: jetsforever

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Numbers shouldnt be retired, Makes no sense at all. Some old traditions are not worth keeping. This is one of them.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fedorov. Those are the only musts. I have a soft spot for Shanny consideration but he didn’t start or end his career with us so it feels like a stretch. No on Osgood because I like the Hall of Fame standard. Osgood opens the floodgates.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Even if it's just stupid to retire a number league wide, 99 and 66 are easy numbers to retire league wide because they were so uncommon before Gretzky and Lemieux. And nowadays even if 66 is not retired league wide, I never see a good/great player wearing it for obvious reasons.

However 4 and 9 are pretty common numbers since forever and in Montreal number 4 is Jean Béliveau not Bobby Orr and especially number 9 is Maurice "Rocket" Richard not Gordie Howe.
Richard pattened the number Howe innovated it.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Richard pattened the number Howe innovated it.
LOL Richard is as much if not a biggest legend than Howe even if Howe was obviously a better all-around player. Maurice Richard is arguably the greatest legend in the NHL history (not the best player). And in Montreal we don't care about Gordie Howe, Maurice is the one and only number 9.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
LOL Richard is as much if not a biggest legend than Howe even if Howe was obviously a better all-around player. Maurice Richard is arguably the greatest legend in the NHL history (not the best player). And in Montreal we don't care about Gordie Howe, Maurice is the one and only number 9.
No I get Montreal fans don't care about Howe

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't think Islanders are retiring 91. What has he accomplished with them? Granted its not all his fault, but still. Fans don't like him.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Numbers shouldnt be retired, Makes no sense at all. Some old traditions are not worth keeping. This is one of them.

It's not really that old of a tradition per say.

In recent times with the societal shift we are seeing towards a more self absorbed mentality and lack of tradition is when we see this idiotic concept being force fed. 20 years ago this thread wouldn't even have existed.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
I’m certain they’ll retire 33 and 37.

Even if Tuukka wins the Cup a couple of times, it’s a long shot.

The Bruins never retired #30 for Cheevers (two Cups, HHOF) or #1 for either Frank Brimsek or Tiny Thompson (three Cups between them, both in the HHOF). For some reason, the Bruins have never retired a goalie’s number.
Just a conversation starter because I’m torn on raising any numbers outside of 37,33 but wouldn’t be upset with these two depending on how they finish there careers.
What do you think about Krejci’s 46 going to the rafters?
Kinda gets over looked but he’s been here since the start and been dominant in our 2 playoff runs to the finals, winning it all with him leading in scoring in 2011.
I think if Tuukka gets us another cup and finishes his years in Boston he has a chance considering all the records he’s beat and holds for our franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad