Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Ik Doug weight unfortunately prolly won't go into the hall even though he's only been retired for 9 years this year will be his 6th for induction, but look at how long it took rogie vachon and Phil Housley it took vachon 31 years to get in and housley it took him 11. Not everybody is a first through 3rd ballot hall of famer.
If he does eventually make the HOF then that would change the situation. I don’t see Weight as a HOFer personally (again, I was a big fan) but I’ve been wrong on HOF inductees before.

As to your previous comment on Hamilton, his #3 was retired in the early 80’s, well before making the HOF became defacto criteria for the Oilers. Since then you have to make the HOF. For example, Anderson retired in 97 but wasn’t elected to the HOF until 2008. As such, he waited until 2009 to have his number retired.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Canucks: Sedins, Luongo, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, Horvat, and Petersson.

All I could think of for now. Obviously most of those names are just beginning their careers. Others were fan favorites. I apologize for the spelling on names. Ialso apologize if some of those players already got their jersey retired. Just my opinon.
Sedins are obviously locks. Everyone else from that era, I'd say there's a slim chance anyone else gets their number retired (Luongo being the most likely, but probably not IMO). New era players (Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser), it's too soon to tell.

Luongo probably has his jersey retired in Florida (probably not in Vancouver, IMO). If he doesn't have his jersey retired in Vancouver, he'll go in the Ring of Honour.

Kesler probably would go in the Ring of Honour if not for the burnt bridges. Bieksa, maybe Ring of Honour. Edler, definitely in the Ring of Honour.

You forgot Burrows, who is almost certainly going to be in the Ring of Honour.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jersey retirement is the best thing about north american sports. It's a great honor, showing how much a single guy can mean for an organisation. I appreciate jersey retirement more than HoF inclusion, even though some of the players are not even close to sniff HoF, because for a single team you mean so much nobody is going to touch your legacy in any way.

Personally after the Miami Heat retired #23 jersey retirement lost some of the aura for me. How do you retire the jersey of someone who never played for you :facepalm:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Denis Savard's number is not in the rafters, then neither will Crawford or Seabrook. Hossa too seems like a long shot.

Not only this, but the Hawks only retire a players number if they reach the HHOF, aside from Magnuson who died tragically. So Toews, Kane, Keith and possibly Hossa would be the only guarantees but maybe they'll make an exception for other guys because of the 2010-2015 run of success.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
How could their numbers not be retired?

That’s a minority opinion I’d say. Zetterberg is about 90% like to get his retired I’d say, given his reputation within the organization. I think Datsyuk’s case is a little more complex, given how he left with a year on his contract. He deserves it as much or more than Z does though, given his on-ice resume.

Obligatory #Retire91 - the Wings win none of our first three cups without Sergei Fedorov.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
I dont think the preds have an active player worth retiring the number. Yes Subban is the "face" of the franchise but hes not very good defensively, If anyone and this might be a stretch. If the preds were to ever win a cup in the next couple years then Rinne might be considered for retirement in the future, but not now

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Regarding the Hawks, my expectations are as follows:

2 - Keith
7 - Seabrook/Chelios
19 - Toews
81 - Hossa
88 - Kane

They're definitely getting retired. Three statue players, a combo of a three Cup player with a previous great that the Hawks brass has been trying to mend the fence with (to fan displeasure), and the greatest free agent signing in team history. Those are absolute locks.

Possibly getting retired, but not guaranteed:

4 - Hjalmarsson - I would legitimately not be surprised if they retired the numbers of all members of the three Cup crew.
10 - Sharp - ditto
50 - Crawford - 3rd winningest goalie in franchise history, possible he could become the 2nd winningest goalie if he plays another year or two. I think if he passes Hall, he's getting his # retired. And two Cups!

4 and 10 are the least likely imho, but I honestly think that Crow's retirement odds are vastly underscored. His place in franchise history could very possibly end up between two other retired number goalies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
If the preds were to ever win a cup in the next couple years then Rinne might be considered for retirement in the future, but not now

Why would Rinne not be considered now? He was drafted by the Preds, played his whole career there (to date and he's 36), Vezina winner last year and considered amongst the elite goaltenders of his generation. Would he really need a Cup to be worthy of a jersey retirement at this point?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If Denis Savard's number is not in the rafters, then neither will Crawford or Seabrook. Hossa too seems like a long shot.

Uh....

images

Reactions: iamjs

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Would he really need a Cup to be worthy of a jersey retirement at this point?
Yes, a retired number shouldnt be given to anyone. Hes arguably the pest player this franchise has seen but its only been around for roughly 20yrs and yet to reach the Cup

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Caps have historically been a little too liberal w/ jersey number retirements. Yvon Labre was a good but not great player. Mike Gartner is an all-time great but was honored so long after leaving the team that it seemed a bit forced. Dale Hunter also falls into the 'good but not great' category but was a longtime leader/captain, so I'm on the fence with that one. So out of the 4 currently retired numbers, only Rod Langway really stands out as clearly deserving of the honor.

Ovechkin, Backstrom and maybe Holtby could someday get their numbers retired, but Olie Kolzig and Peter Bondra are also deserving of the honor. But then you have a ~50 year old franchise with 9 retired numbers? Seems excessive.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yes, a retired number shouldnt be given to anyone. Hes arguably the pest player this franchise has seen but its only been around for roughly 20yrs and yet to reach the Cup

I agree with you a retired jersey is a great honour, but idk if I would call Rinne "anyone". I have not followed the Preds too closely over time but I'm pretty sure that their rosters has been more of a reason for not reaching the Cup than Rinne himself. If anything it seems like he made these teams look better than they were.

Though I can see them compete for the Cups so that debate might be short-lived :P

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Habs: Price, Subban, Markov, Koivu, and Gallagher.
Lol no way, the Montreal Canadiens are not the Arizona Coyotes or a franchise with a poor history. Then none of them will have his jersey retired in Montreal. Maybe Price only if he wins the Cup in Montreal at least.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
If you go by the standard in this thread, we're going to run out of numbers.

Players like Schneider,Spezza and Stamkos getting mentioned? Yikes. Leddy too lol
Once all whole numbers are retired, NHL will switch to fractions :) Futurama (c)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
100% AGREE !!!

Why is it dumb? Forever the Chicago Bears refused to not only retire Butkus 51 but insisted on issuing to some back up special teams linebacker every season. Whoever it was always looked like an idiot. Nick Jensen is wearing 3 for the Caps right now and looks silly. The Capitals have not issued #12 to any player since Peter Bondra retired.

Numbers are identifiers. When a number is so tied to a special player its ridiculous to allow or force any other player to wear it. Another Oriole in 8 or Yankee in 3 is just a terrible idea.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps have historically been a little too liberal w/ jersey number retirements. Yvon Labre was a good but not great player. Mike Gartner is an all-time great but was honored so long after leaving the team that it seemed a bit forced. Dale Hunter also falls into the 'good but not great' category but was a longtime leader/captain, so I'm on the fence with that one. So out of the 4 currently retired numbers, only Rod Langway really stands out as clearly deserving of the honor.

Ovechkin, Backstrom and maybe Holtby could someday get their numbers retired, but Olie Kolzig and Peter Bondra are also deserving of the honor. But then you have a ~50 year old franchise with 9 retired numbers? Seems excessive.

Labre was a grasp at straws. He belongs in a ring of honor or something but not a number retirement. Mike Gartner on the other hand is a legit hall of famer who was a Capital longer than anything else. Hunter is a tough one.

Considering the Caps have been around since 1974, 4 numbers isn't a lot. They should quietly take down 7, but they have 8, 19 and 70 coming and by all appearances have retired 12 without a ceremony.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Why is it dumb? Forever the Chicago Bears refused to not only retire Butkus 51 but insisted on issuing to some back up special teams linebacker every season. Whoever it was always looked like an idiot. Nick Jensen is wearing 3 for the Caps right now and looks silly. The Capitals have not issued #12 to any player since Peter Bondra retired.

Numbers are identifiers. When a number is so tied to a special player its ridiculous to allow or force any other player to wear it. Another Oriole in 8 or Yankee in 3 is just a terrible idea.
Honour numbers, fine. Put up a ring of honour or even hang banners with the player and the number.
I like seeing players get given a number of a former great. In soccer for example, to be given the number 9 or 10 is a great honour. Each team has a number made special by certain players. I love the tradition of looking back on a number and seeing all the greats who have worn it.

Reactions: Iapyi

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Barrasso played enough for the Pens to have his number retired, but he's not exactly a well-liked person and all of his records have been shattered by the far more likable Fleury.

He'd probably be the first player in history to no-show his jersey retirement.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If he plays for the leafs for another 6-8 years, and puts up consistent 50 point seasons, Rielly is legit option for a number retirement, and is a lock IMO if they somehow win a cup.

Matthews and Marner, if they continue their pace and become elite players in their late 20s, will be considerations if they put up the numbers.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Perhaps you fans of retiring #s should just retire the # of every player and then have guys play themselves off.

Personally I prefer to honour the player.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Sorry I see you edited it... still no Larmer is surprising ... and Doug Wilson to.

Last edited:
Reactions: COHawk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad