Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I agree, but I'd wait until hes both retired and the Oilers are making the playoffs. All will be forgiven if he isn't with the team and the team has recovered from the old boys club. If they were to do it now, he'd get booed and it would be awkward.
I think now that he got in the hall in this years class number 4 will be retired in Edmonton eventually.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
So speaking of retired numbers pronger’s number is gonna be the next retired by St. Louis blues, & the isles retired tonelli’s number 27 & goring’s number 91 this year, goring should be in the hockey hall of fame imo he was one of the best two way players of his era he has a conn smythe trophy which could’ve gone to potvin, bossy or trottier. Mainly potvin or bossy, potvin also had a good argument in 83 he was in the top 3 in voting Bobby bourne was prolly 2ndz

Reactions: sabremike

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Looking back at my list... not too shabby. Some obviously won't happen like Tavares and Karlsson who switched teams, but overall it's a fairly good list.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
With the rumor that Yzerman is trying to bring in Fedorov into the organization again, that would be the perfect time to finally officially retire the #91.

I know there was some ill will before but that was 20 years ago and theres no excuse for not retiring his number, as one of the top players in franchise history.

Likewise w/ Jagr. Not sure what PIT is waiting for, i know hes still an active player but I doubt he'll play in the NHL again.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Bruins:

#37 Bergeron - lock
#33 Chara - lock
#63 Marchand - likely
#46 Krejci - unlikely, but possible with another Cup
#40 Rask - unlikely, unless he wins a Cup as the starter
#88 Pastrnak - likely, if he plays 15+ years in Boston

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I'm sure it's been said ten times over, but Sergei Gonchar is not getting his number retired in Washington. I've never heard any rumblings of it, it's not on any radars.

Regarding former Caps, Alan May (former Capital player and current team in between the glass correspondent) has basically said that both Peter Bondra and Olaf Kolzig will probably see their numbers raised at some point. Leonsis famously didn't want to retire anymore numbers until he got his cup. Both Bondra and Kolzig work in the Caps organization so I think we'll see them both sooner than later. Why not Sergei if those two? Well, the role those two played is a bit different. Both were faces of the franchise during the extent of the 90's. Both were outward public figures during both high marks in the teams history (98 Cup run) and lone bright spots in low marks. Sergei never really connected as much with the local community, he's not thought of in the same regard in DC as he is in Pitt. Go to a Caps game and you'll see Kolzig and Bonzai sweaters, you'd be hard pressed to find any Gonchar's.

For modern players, Backstrom and Ovechkin are obvious choices, the team has pretty much confirmed that it'll happen and they'll be retired at the same time. Other options? Here is where time will tell. I think Holtby has a decent shot. He owns essentially every single goalie record in a 46 year old team franchise and he helped us capture our first Cup. I think that it will happen a few years after Ovechkin/Backstrom.

I think if Carlson puts together 3-4 more seasons like this past one he's got a chance.

I also think that the Capitals are also wild cards in number retirement. Yvonne Labre is one of the lowest bars you could have for a number retirement and yet he's one of only 4 retired. Even he basically said he was shocked when the team retired his number. Dale Hunter is obviously not a prolific player, but he was a huge part of the team and their image for years. So the team has definitely made it clear that between Labre and Hunter, they're not opposed to putting fan favorites who don't have the best resume in the rafters. With that all said, I think you could conceivably see a future where after Ovechkin retires Tom Wilson becomes the team captain, and well... you take it from there.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Bruins:
#37 Bergeron - lock
Agreed.

Sure-fire Hall-of-Famer. Absolutely deserving of having his #37 retired by the Bruins.

#33 Chara - lock

Same as above. Agreed.

#63 Marchand - likely

Not so fast.

Brad Marchand is a good player, but not an elite talent, and he hasn’t done enough for the Bruins to warrant a number retirement. Marchand will never make the Hockey Hall of Fame. Yes, Rick Middleton isn’t in the Hall either and still had his number retired, but he was a better player than Marchand. Terry O’Reilly also isn’t in the Hall, but he was a leader on the Bruins for years, and Marchand doesn’t even wear an alternate captain’s “A” on his sweater. He has for a game here or there, but not consistently. Certainly not enough to get 63 retired.

#46 Krejci - unlikely, but possible with another Cup

Good, but not great enough.

#40 Rask - unlikely, unless he wins a Cup as the starter

The Bruins have never retired a single goalie’s number. Tiny Thompson, Frank Brimsek, and Gerry Cheevers never had their numbers retired... at best, Rask is fourth in line for Bruins goaltender number retirement.

#88 Pastrnak - likely, if he plays 15+ years in Boston

He has the talent to be one of the Bruins all-time greats. Should Pastranak have a few 50-goal seasons and win the Cup a time or two, then 88 will hang alongside 77 in the rafters at the Garden.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Not so fast.

Brad Marchand is a good player, but not an elite talent, and he hasn’t done enough for the Bruins to warrant a number retirement. Marchand will never make the Hockey Hall of Fame. Yes, Rick Middleton isn’t in the Hall either and still had his number retired, but he was a better player than Marchand. Terry O’Reilly also isn’t in the Hall, but he was a leader on the Bruins for years, and Marchand doesn’t even wear an alternate captain’s “A” on his sweater. He has for a game here or there, but not consistently. Certainly not enough to get 63 retired.
I don't think Marchand goes to the HHOF either but he's absolutely been elite the last 4 years. 3rd in the league in points/game over that stretch. You can't tell me that's not elite in a league that has McDavid, Crosby, Kane, Malkin, MacKinnon, Kucherov, Draisaitl, and Stamkos in it. His peak as an elite player definitely eclipses Middleton's peak compared to their peers. Being a key part of a Cup winner and probably playing his entire career in Boston will likely put #63 up in the Garden rafters.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The four most influential players in Kings history are a lock: Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, and Brown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad