Future Jersey Number Retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Still not sure why Cheevers # isn't retired. Orr, Bucyk, Esposito, Middleton, O'Reilly all have their numbers retired from that era.
Frank Brimsek’s # 1 and Gerry Cheevers’s # 30 both deserve to be retired. Both won two Stanley Cups with the Bruins and both are in the Hall of Fame. They account for two thirds (66%) of the Bruins’ championships.

I have yet to hear of a good reason why. Your guess is as good as mine.

Reactions: Voight

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Ik he’ll prolly never make the hall but Dougie weight should have his number retired by the oilers, Arizona I’d like to see tkachuk & roenick’s numbers retired calgary hang Macinnis’s number 2 instead of giving him the forever a flame treatment that’s crap when you open the new arena create a ring of honor for guys like Valeri bure, Todd Simpson, Doug risebourough, Jim peplinski Tim hunter, Brad McCrimmon, Craig conroy & Joel Otto.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
As much as Zajac is one of my favourites, I can't see him getting his number retired.

The only number that could get retired any time soon is 18 for Sergei Brylin, and that would be more of a retirement for 3 cups and being a lifetime Devil, and even that is unlikely.
What about mogilny he played what 3 1/2 years there or Langenbrunner.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Anaheim:
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry
Chris Pronger
Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Arizona:
Nobody, maybe Ekman-Larsson

Boston:
Patrice Bergeron
Zdeno Chara
Brad Marchand
Tuukka Rask
David Krejci

Buffalo:
Maybe Eichel if they contend again and decides to stay

Calgary:
Miikka Kiprusoff
Mark Giordano

Carolina:
Eric Staal
Cam Ward

Chicago:
Jonathan Toews
Patrick Kane
Duncan Keith
Marian Hossa
Brent Seabrook

Colorado:
Gabriel Landeskog
Nathan MacKinnon

Columbus:
Rick Nash
Cam Atkinson
Nick Foligno (I don't agree with it, but he's done a ton off the ice)
Seth Jones and Zach Werenski I think have potential, but time will tell

Dallas Stars:
Tyler Seguin
Jamie Benn

Detroit:
Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Sergei Fedorov

Edmonton:
Kevin Lowe
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Ryan Smyth
Maybe McDavid and Drasiaitl

Florida:
Nobody

Los Angeles:
Drew Doughty
Anze Kopitar
Jonathan Quick
Dustin Brown

Minnesota:
Mikko Koivu

Montreal:
Carey Price

Nashville:
Roman Josi
Pekka Rinne
Filip Forsberg
Mattias Ekholm
Ryan Ellis
Shea Weber

New Jersey:
Travis Zajac

New York Islanders:
Josh Bailey
Anders Lee

New York Rangers:
Henrik Lundqvist
Jaromir Jagr

Ottawa:
Jason Spezza
Erik Karlsson

Philadelphia:
Claude Giroux

Pittsburgh:
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Jaromir Jagr

San Jose:
Joe Thornton
Patrick Marleau
Joe Pavelski
Logan Couture
Brent Burns
Maybe Erik Karlsson if he does enough damage

St. Louis:
Alex Pietrangelo
David Perron
Alexander Steen
Ryan O'Reilly (if he spends the remainder of his career there, which I highly expect)
Brayden Schenn (I think he's set to retire with the Blues)
Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz
Binnington only if he finds his game again and plays more of his career there.

Tampa Bay:
Steven Stamkos
Victor Hedman
Nikita Kucherov
Maybe Ondrej Palat

Toronto:
Mitch Marner
Would say Matthews, but not to troll Toronto fans I could see him wanting out in a few seasons if the Leafs can't make it past the first round. But Marner I think spends his career with the Leafs win or lose.
Tavares only if the Leafs win the cup.

Vancouver:
Alex Edler
Bo Horvat
Elias Pettersson
Quinn Hughes
But only if they spend more of their career there, but I expect them to do long-term damage with the Canucks.

Vegas:
Mark Stone
William Karlsson
Jonathan Marchessault
Nate Schmidt
Alex Tuch
Max Pacioretty
Reilly Smith
Those are the few I could see getting consideration, but hard to tell in hindsight.

Washington:
Alex Ovechkin
Niklas Backstrom
John Carlson
Olaf Kolzig
Braden Holtby
Peter Bondra
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Tom Wilson

Winnipeg:
Mark Scheifele
Blake Wheeler
Josh Morrissey
Bryan Little
Connor Hellebuyck
Right now Florida has luongo, but I see beezer, mellanby, jokinen & maybe niedermayer joining them cuz they were four superstars in Florida. If Robby niedermayer doesn’t get his number hung up in Florida I could see the ducks at least honoring him having it say forever a duck, I could see guy hebert getting the same treatment.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Anaheim
Jiggy (should have done it before PK)
Getzlaf & Perry on the same night.

That should do it for a good 20-30 years.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I don't think it's asinine. I know the Leafs don't do it but isn't that mostly about Harold Ballard being a jackass and not wanting any Leaf to be more important than the team or Ballard himself?

C'mon, I was watching hockey back when Middleton was still paying and sure he was real good but Marchand, especially in the last few seasons, is a comparable. Also Marchand was an integral member of a Cup winning team and went to the Finals as well whereas Middleton never did win it all.

I can't believe you got me to defend Brad Marchand. *shivers* I need to take a shower.

Not much chance there. You see getting your jersey retired in Montreal is a two-step process. First of all you need to get your picture in the Habs dressing room and after that *maybe* just maybe you get your jersey retired. Now you need to accomplish 3 feats to get your picture hanging in the lockers.

1. You need to have played 2 full seasons on the Habs.
2. You need to have won a Stanley Cup as a Hab.
3. You need to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

So that gets your picture in, so to get your number up in the rafters you need to go above and beyond that.
What about carbonneau should he have his number 21 retired I mean he did win a cup with them and he was captain of the team for 5 years.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
New York Islanders:
John Tavares (on his way)

Why? He didn't win a cup with the Islanders, and left as a free agent. The only player numbers retired by the team are cup winners.

Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Gillies, Smith, Nystrom, Tonelli (the original JT), and Goring (who wore #91 before Tavares)

Granted, he is top 5 at the moment for Goals and Points as an Islander in his career, and 7th in Assists, but the lack of a Cup win, and not playing his whole career on the Island are marks against. MAYBE you can make an argument for Tavares in the team's HOF (which is different than a retired number).

And I just realized this list was pre-Tavares leaving :)

For the Islanders in general, IF they were to win a cup in the next couple years, you MIGHT consider Bailey and maybe Lee, for being career Islanders winning a cup.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
What about carbonneau should he have his number 21 retired I mean he did win a cup with them and he was captain of the team for 5 years.

For a franchise that have top-100 players like Toe Blake, Aurele Joliat and Bill Durnan not retired, Carbonneau is an awfully low bar.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Brayden Point doesn't stop being such a freaking BAUS he's gonna have his number retired too and wind up in the HHOF. He is so magnificent under pressure in the playoffs and so clutch it's starting to turn into a meme amongst Lightning fans.

Guy is a remorseless killer when the game is on the line

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Zajac isn't worthy of a jersey retirement here, wasn't that special of a player, didn't win any cups. We shouldn't be retiring anyone's number for easily the next two decades and that would only be if the current group of young guys sticks around for awhile and actually wins a cup or more.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Barkov, Huberdeau, and Ekblad can get their numbers retired if they stay with the Panthers into their mid-30s and win a few playoff rounds. Those three will blow every relevant forward/defenseman team record out of the water if they stay that long. And it'll also mean that they are the three who kept the franchise in South Florida. If they play entertaining, competitive hockey, and draw fans to games, then the team will get another arena deal. If they didn't want to stay and/or couldn't be the building blocks of a cup contending team, then the team will have been booted from BB&T when the lease expires in a few years.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
:avs

I hope I can say names like MacKinnon, Makar, and Rantanen in the future, but who knows what will happen with future contracts (i.e. they could potentially play half of their careers elsewhere).

The one that's a near lock is Landeskog. 10 seasons in Colorado, 9 of those spent wearing captain's "C", and just signed on for 8 more years. Short of something really strange, #92 will be in the rafters.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Ik he’ll prolly never make the hall but Dougie weight should have his number retired by the oilers

I love Dougie, and was absolutely gutted when he was traded (and to add insult to injury, Ottawa managed to get Chara and Spezza for Yashin a week earlier, while Weight only returned Reasoner and Hecht :help: ), but there's just no way.

Weight is definitely in a different tier, along with the likes of Smyth, Ranford, etc.. All great players who bled oilers orange (or copper :sarcasm:), but are clearly a level down from the guys with numbers hanging in the rafters.

Reactions: RattsSSV

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
For a franchise that have top-100 players like Toe Blake, Aurele Joliat and Bill Durnan not retired, Carbonneau is an awfully low bar.

Carbo is in the HoF, won 2 Cups with Montreal, along with 3 Selkes, and was Captain for 5 years so he really ticks every conceivable box for getting a banner.

That said, Toe Blake's #6 should absolutely be hanging up there as well. I'd also argue Chelios has a good case.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Carbo is in the HoF, won 2 Cups with Montreal, along with 3 Selkes, and was Captain for 5 years so he really ticks every conceivable box for getting a banner.

That said, Toe Blake's #6 should absolutely be hanging up there as well. I'd also argue Chelios has a good case.

I get where you're coming from, but Carbonneau is still at best the 30th greatest player in Habs history. If guys like Toe Blake, Georges Vezina, Aurele Joliat, Newsy Lalonde, Bill Durnan, Jacques Lemaire, Jacques Laperriere, Ken Reardon, Didier Pitre or George Hainsworth don't have their own banner, any discussion about Carbonneau would be either premature or rooted in recency bias.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Right now Florida has luongo, but I see beezer, mellanby, jokinen & maybe niedermayer joining them cuz they were four superstars in Florida. If Robby niedermayer doesn’t get his number hung up in Florida I could see the ducks at least honoring him having it say forever a duck, I could see guy hebert getting the same treatment.

Florida has Barkov. He is the only star the franchise has had. He is homegrown, a Top10 C and already has a selke. Barkov is for sure more worthy already than Luongo, Jokinen and Mellanby.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Blackhawks sorta showed how hollow argument against Larmer has proven

The "He isn't HOF" aspect used to defend not sending #28 to rafters doesn't seem to explain then why Wilson's #24 is not going up either

Both #24 and #28 in Chicago should be retired alongside Hossa's #81

Its time but Hawks show no signs of changing tune

Wilson + Larmer should have been up a longtime ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad