Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Ullmark had great numbers in 22-23 but was helped a great deal by Bruins Team D. Swayman had a 920 save percentage and 2.27 GGA last year which were both top 5 for goalies that played 20 games or more.

And if you don't know why the Preds would trade Saros then go look up Varoslav Askarov. He's the reason.
What gives you any indication that the Predators intend to rush Askarov into the starting role right this minute?

Saros spent the better part of five years slowly taking responsibility as Rinne's career wound down. And even Rinne got a good three seasons in the minors before he was eased into the starting role.

Saros isn't even thirty yet, the Predators are just off a season where they made a surprise playoff run, and Askarov has all of three games of NHL experience at this point. He is a *very* good prospect and all indications are that he will be a *very* good goalie in the NHL, but I don't see Nashville making him the starter just yet. The Preds can afford to wait on Saros for now - there will always be a team willing to pay a pretty penny for a proven starter. They're listening, I'm sure, but not actively shopping him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Every time I think of a doomsday scenario in my head, I see a proposal here that is somehow worse.
Wait till you actually see the real thing

He’s legitimately one of the worst D in the league playing #6 minutes on the Flyers, and he’s an even bigger band-aid than Chabot.

I wish we had him during our rebuild, it would have been hilarious watching him when we didn’t care if we won.
Pro GMs keep paying him and pro coaches keep playing him

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
That would make sense why the trade is in place but hasn't happened yet.

If that were to happen I'd imagine the target for us would be Solberg. Checks off every box for what our staff loves in a player.

Maybe we then try to package two late 1sts for a mid 1st to add the other Norweigan MBN, who also looks like a player we'd be very interested in.

I don't think you make that trade with a specific target in mind for 12, because there's a risk your guy will be gone - even Solberg. You make that trade because you think whoever will be left at 12 isn't that far off from whoever you might take at seven (or you see a step down, but are getting value for that elsewhere in the trade).

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Definitely overpayment, and historically way more than what goaltenders go for. I'd be annoyed if that trade went down.
So avs trading for Kuemper is the most recent similar situation, about the same age, good numbers on Arz, got a 1st, Timmons and a 3rd, Anderssen got a first and a 2nd but was younger and no where near as proven, Varlamov got 12 the oa and a 2nd but was much younger.,m Schneider got 9 oa at 27.

I think Ulmark is more valuable than Anderssen or Kuemper, but not Varlamov or Schneider level. It's hard to pin down without knowing how much an extension would cost though.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
What gives you any indication that the Predators intend to rush Askarov into the starting role right this minute?

So avs trading for Kuemper is the most recent similar situation, about the same age, good numbers on Arz, got a 1st, Timmons and a 3rd, Anderssen got a first and a 2nd but was younger and no where near as proven, Varlamov got 12 the oa and a 2nd but was much younger.,m Schneider got 9 oa at 27.

I think Ulmark is more valuable than Anderssen or Kuemper, but not Varlamov or Schneider level. It's hard to pin down without knowing how much an extension would cost though.

The other tricky thing with Ullmark is his NTC. Weekes was on Overdrive today and said that Ullmark didn’t want to play in the West for family reasons, and that’s why he blocked the trade to LA.

But in the East, NJ just got their goalie, so that leaves Ottawa and Toronto?

And Toronto doesn’t have all that much to offer.

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Not getting the desire to use assets on a goalie when we still suck so much defensively.

Let's stop being shit defensively before we use assets to get another mystery box. Korpisalo could turn out ok if we stop being awful.
Say we stop being shit defensively this season, and Korpisalo still sucks. You'll be okay knowing that the Senators missed out on Ullmark but passed on him to draft a player that won't be ready for 3 years and to get an asset less valuable than a starting goalie for Chychrun?

If you can get a consistent goalie like Ullmark for a player you knew you were going to trade away anyway and a draft pick then you make that trade. Especially when that's been a massive hole on the team for 7 years. Ullmark isn't just a goalie, he's a very consistently good goalie. Those don't grow on trees.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
So....Chychrun and Chabot, because we don't have anything else.
And that's not much

After that we can probably afford to splurge on one of Tanev/Zadorov. That only leaves us with one puck mover on the back end though (Sanderson).
We've tried with multiple puck movers with ZERO (-897) success
Zub is underated in that aspect too I find
Trade the f..ing noodles asap please

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Frankly, if you can get Ullmark and still keep our 1st, I take it.

Ullmark has the potential to be the Anderson for this generation of the Sens - a guy who can lock down the crease for the next decade.

And if you can't get Ullmark without our 1st, you walk away. I really hope that that pick is off the table, unless it's for a very minor trade down.

Reactions: Benjamin

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Walking out of this season without a high 1st would be a turd topping on the shit sundae that was the 2023-24 Sens season.

They can’t trade away their 7th without being able to keep a pick in the top half of the draft, higher than 12 would be uncomfortable for me

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not getting the desire to use assets on a goalie when we still suck so much defensively.

Let's stop being shit defensively before we use assets to get another mystery box. Korpisalo could turn out ok if we stop being awful.
We’re middle of the pack defensively.

We need a goalie who will stop the league average of low danger shot attempts and a few more high danger ones and we will be in the mix for the playoffs next year

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
7 + 25
for
12 + Koneckny

Dont do the deal unless an extension is ready to go.

Last edited:

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I read somewhere on twitter from flyers writer he’s looking for 10 on his next deal
= why chabot is being moved for him.
Chabots gets a ntc after this summer AND 10m

Our d is getting a makeover.

Chych and 25 > ullmark

7oa + chabot + korpi > 12oa, Laughton and konecty

****supposedly

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad