Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I'm not sure how trading 7 for 12 would impact an Ullmark acquisition, unless we're flipping 12 to Boston, which wouldn't be great.

If it's a "let's trade 7 for 12 and dump Korpisalo on them because we need to get rid of him to go after Ullmark", that'd be even worse.

Just buy him out. The penalty isn't very punitive. It even adds cap space this year!

7 to 12 is a fairly big leap, IMO. It'd be one thing to swap with Calgary at 9, for example, if you know who they want and have a good idea who the team at 8 wants.

But a lot can happen between 7 and 12.

The problem we have isn't so much prospect depth. We have lots of guys who project to be 3rd or 4th line NHLers. The problem is outside of Stutzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson, we don't have elite talent. And after being so bad for so long, it's crazy that we only have 3 guys. We need another one, and we have a better chance at getting one at 7 than at 12.
I’m not sure either, that’s just what has been said. We’ll see if it’s true or not.

Maybe there’s a guy from Philly that Boston wants. Maybe it’s the cost of dumping Korpisalo. Maybe it’s a large deal with a lot of cap being exchanged that allows us more flexibility in what is currently a tight situation.

I’m not FOR trading down, I’d rather not. But I don’t agree that it shouldn’t be an option if it helps us fix the team. The reason this whole thing is such a mess is because there are no perfect solutions. We’re going to be sacrificing something somewhere no matter what, Staios just has to be good at understanding what risks are worth it vs not.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Who knows. I assume - in this scenario - we'd be signing or acquiring a vet left hander to hold the position until someone like Dickinson or even Kleven is ready for top 4 minutes.

Again, it's right handers that are rare as hen's teeth.

Didn't Philly try to trade Sanheim for Krug last summer?

Maybe that's something they'd do in a Chabot trade.

t'd definitely change the "feel" of our D and allow Sanderson to take a more offensive role.

Not sure what'd be in it for Philly though.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
ugh...spending major assets for a goalie is the worst thing this franchise could do. You could put Jesus Christ in nets and it won't make us any better until we fix our defense.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

t'd definitely change the "feel" of our D and allow Sanderson to take a more offensive role.

Sandheim would have to be someone they want to run with for the next half decade though, right? I don't really understand this one either.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Philly is a really bad trade partner for Ottawa, can't imagine what we'd get from them that would work out long term, unless we're helping them retain salary in a 3 way trade. Joseph for Laughton would be awful, we need more guys like Joseph, not a slower version of him who's on the wrong end of 30. I'd love to swap Chabot for Sanheim, but they Flyers don't have capspace.

NYR is kinda slimy for putting Goodrow on waivers knowing the Sharks would take him after Goodrow stated he didn't want to go there. I'm also surprised SJS took him considering he doesn't want to be there, its not the best type of move to have when you're building a new culture. Plus they're bailing NYR up. Let NYR have to buy him out or pay to get rid of him, don't help other teams for free.

Saaros is looking for $8 million on his next deal. He's the only goalie in the league I'd pay that much for given how hard he's carried some shite Preds squads.

Problem is, we can't afford him unless the Preds take someone like Chychrun or Norris off us + they'll want the 7th overall or our first-rounder next year.

Assuming the Saaros is willing to extend here, the best we can offer is the 25th overall or a top 10 protected 1st rounder next year, Greig, and whomever our next best D prospect would be (Kleven?).
If they want the 7th overall, they better be taking Norris and/or Korpisalo.

Last edited:

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Sandheim would have to be someone they want to run with for the next half decade though, right? I don't really understand this one either.
Longer - 7 years.

The benefit to Ottawa is he’s cheaper than Chabot by just under 2 million dollars and he plays the right side even though he’s a left shot.

The benefit to Philly is they get Chabot for three less years, and for a team that’s rebuilding/retooling, it gives them cap flexibility when they need it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There are many worse things this team could do than to get a stable presence in net.

Problem is, the goalie doesn't matter when the defense is so terrible defensively. Any goalie you put in the pipes will get worn down and be largely ineffective by xmas. We're becoming a goalie graveyard here, and spending a lot of assets we can't afford to spend while doing it.

Reactions: Agent Zub

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm not sure how trading 7 for 12 would impact an Ullmark acquisition, unless we're flipping 12 to Boston, which wouldn't be great.
I’ve been trying to figure that out as well. I’m also quite curious why we are talking with Philadelphia in general and which player(s) they are targeting. It's weird with all these rumours floating around now and I guess patience is required.

Reactions: DrEasy

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Longer - 7 years.

The benefit to Ottawa is he’s cheaper than Chabot by just under 2 million dollars and he plays the right side even though he’s a left shot.

The benefit to Philly is they get Chabot for three less years, and for a team that’s rebuilding/retooling, it gives them cap flevikitt when
Is sanheim a guy you want to run with for 7 more years at 6 something per?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Don’t know much about him so I could be wrong, but no. I also like Chabot personally, so I don’t have a strong desire to move him. But I can see why it might work for both teams.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Problem is, the goalie doesn't matter when the defense is so terrible defensively. Any goalie you put in the pipes will get worn down and be largely ineffective by xmas. We're becoming a goalie graveyard here, and spending a lot of assets we can't afford to spend while doing it.
And what happens when they do fix the defense but have done nothing to fix the goaltending? It won't matter if the defense starts to play better when Korpisalo is letting in softies all the time. Let's not pretend that Korpisalo was just bad this year because of defensive breakdowns in front of him. He consistently let in terrible goals that an above average NHL goalie would've stopped.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Based on what?

People running wild with every crackpot rumour out there.

Sanheim is the only player I can see on the Flyers roster who is at least a RD & might make a bit of sense for us. I have no idea whether Flyers would be interested in moving Sanheim though.

There’s going to be lots of different opinions on this subject and I suspect some will come from people who have barely watched the Flyers play.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd pick Sanheim at his salary over Chabot at his. Plus Torts has helped Sanheim and even Risto stop sucking so much. Having said that, watch us trade Chabot to Philly, only for him to return to being a top pairing guy under Torts.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
ugh...spending major assets for a goalie is the worst thing this franchise could do. You could put Jesus Christ in nets and it won't make us any better until we fix our defense.
This is false. Korpisalo was atrocious all on his own

I'd pick Sanheim at his salary over Chabot at his. Plus Torts has helped Sanheim and even Risto stop sucking so much. Having said that, watch us trade Chabot to Philly, only for him to return to being a top pairing guy under Torts.
Chabot will likely be good with a good partner. Samheim may not be good even with a good partner

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Since the Caps are trying to stay competitive to get Ovie his goal record, they'll make short sighted moves. I wonder if they'd be interested in Forsberg and move one of their RD to us to save some capspace. Wondering if we can get Jensen from them for Forsberg and a draft pick. Would give them $1.25 million that they could really use.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
= why chabot is being moved for him.
Chabots gets a ntc after this summer AND 10m

Our d is getting a makeover.

Chych and 25 > ullmark

7oa + chabot + korpi > 12oa, Laughton and konecty

****supposedly
So, the makeover consists of keeping Chabot & Chychrun then? Not sure what you are getting at.

Since the Caps are trying to stay competitive to get Ovie his goal record, they'll make short sighted moves. I wonder if they'd be interested in Forsberg and move one of their RD to us to save some capspace. Wondering if we can get Jensen from them for Forsberg and a draft pick. Would give them $1.25 million that they could really use.
A GM making dumb moves is a constant theme in your posts. I suspect Staois will need a better & more diverse bag of tricks.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Steve Lloyd on TSN1200 throwing cold water on the Philly rumour, saying that there is nothing going on between those 2 teams right now.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad