Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Walking out of this season without a high 1st would be a turd topping on the shit sundae that was the 2023-24 Sens season.

They can’t trade away their 7th without being able to keep a pick in the top half of the draft, lower than 12 would be uncomfortable for me

In my opinion, 7 shouldn't be on the table in trades for immediate help - at least not any of the ones being discussed around here. We have other assets to work with.

I get that Dorion dug the organization a hole, but the solution can't be to mortgage even more of the future. Not after the last two years of doing just that. Staois signed up for a hard job. He has to find value in free agency. He has to make an intelligent trades. He has to be better than Dorion.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If Philly is taking Chabot, I’d assume we have to take Sanheim back considering they were trying to flip him for Krug last year but Krug refused to go there.

He makes 6.25 million so a lower cap hit, but 3 more years than Chabot. Perks for us is that Sanheim can play the right side.

I don’t know a lot about him so no idea if this would be good or not but I doubt someone like Atkinson would be the cap dump considering he only has a year left.

Reactions: SensFactor

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In my opinion, 7 shouldn't be on the table in trades for immediate help - at least not any of the ones being discussed around here.

I get that Dorion dug the organization a hole, but the solution can't be to mortgage even more of the future. Not after the last two years of doing just that. Staois signed up for a hard job. He has to find value in free agency. He has to make an intelligent trades. He has to be better than Dorion.
It makes so little sense to me.

We haven’t had a meaningful high pick since 2020. Right now is when our 2021 and 2022 1sts “should” be becoming core players for the team. Just like Kleven is.

We have none in the horizon. I get that we can’t be in a perpetual rebuild and we need guys to win now, but there are pieces that teams need to keep.

Had we picked up Korchinski and But who were waiting in the wings, then maybe moving a pick this year may make a bit more sense.

Staios was undoubtedly dealt a 7-2 off suit. A goalie who is possibly the worst contract in the league for the position, no recent high picks, lost future picks because of incompetence, and a dire, DIRE need for a new impact goalie.

It’s a recipe for disaster, and im not sure we’re going to wade our way out of paying a very costly price and/or making a very costly mistake.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
It makes so little sense to me.

We haven’t had a meaningful high pick since 2020. Right now is when our 2021 and 2022 1sts “should” be becoming core players for the team. Just like Kleven is.

We have none in the horizon. I get that we can’t be in a perpetual rebuild and we need guys to win now, but there are pieces that teams need to keep.

Had we picked up Korchinski and But who were waiting in the wings, then maybe moving a pick this year may make a bit more sense.

Staios was undoubtedly dealt a 7-2 off suit. A goalie who is possibly the worst contract in the league for the position, no recent high picks, lost future picks because of incompetence, and a dire, DIRE need for a new impact goalie.

It’s a recipe for disaster, and im not sure we’re going to wade our way out of paying a very costly price and/or making a very costly mistake.
The issue is Staios can’t get too caught up in the long-term because we’re a year away from a potential Tkachuk trade/some form of a re-tool if we don’t make some pretty big strides. I don’t know that moving backwards is beneficial at all - we have to avoid the Buffalo situation as best we can.

I don’t love the idea of moving down, but I don’t think we’ll trade the pick away completely either. It’s sort of the middle ground between our short and long term goals, where you still keep the pick but at a lower spot to help you now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In my opinion, 7 shouldn't be on the table in trades for immediate help - at least not any of the ones being discussed around here.

I think moving down a couple of spots is fine if we think we can still get the guy we like, but in no way should we be moving that pick without a a top 12 pick coming back. Even 12 is a bit uncomfortable for me.

There's always going to be a balance that needs to be struck between short term and long term health of the team, right now, the long term health needs help, as does the short term. it's not a comfortable spot to be, like the back seat of a volkswagon...

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm still not sure why they are hell bent in trading for both Tanev brothers considering they are 34 & 32 yrs old. I get they need some more experience in their lineup, but there must be some better options out there especially if Chris wants more than a couple of yrs term & both are somewhat expensive given their age. Clearly that kind of player is valuable & sought after & shows how rare they are in the NHL these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The part with Alfredsson makes it feel like a writing prompt. I don't know how hard the league scrutinizes tampering but that seems like an obvious case to me. The kind of thing that ends up with us losing another 1RP or something egregious.
If we’re allowed to talk extension we’d be fine

I’d assume we’d be given that permission as it’s essentially needed for the Bruins to move him.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What could have been. If Matt Murray didn’t veto the trade to Buffalo we would have not had retention on him and we would have sent Chicago 16OA rather than 7OA.

Risto is definitely a cap dump but so is Chabot at this point. I’m getting the feeling you don’t like Laughton lol
That was just a bad proposal, just puts the Sens with a worse roster and sets them back.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
With the Markstrom trade Calgary now has the 9th OA & 10th OA picks in this 2024 draft. I expect that they will draft Iginla C/LW with the 9th OA pick & Yakemchuk RD with the 10th OA pick. Two good offensive pieces for their future.

This leaves Ott in a precarious position with a Calgary trade off the table, I'm still not sure why they are hell bent in trading for both Tanev brothers considering they are 34 & 32 yrs old. I get they need some more experience in their lineup, but there must be some better options out there especially if Chris wants more than a couple of yrs term & both are somewhat expensive given their age. Clearly that kind of player is valuable & sought after & shows how rare they are in the NHL these days.
They never got 10th, they got a top 10 protected 1st next year

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
The issue is Staios can’t get too caught up in the long-term because we’re a year away from a potential Tkachuk trade/some form of a re-tool if we don’t make some pretty big strides. I don’t know that moving backwards is beneficial at all - we have to avoid the Buffalo situation as best we can.

I don’t love the idea of moving down, but I don’t think we’ll trade the pick away completely either. It’s sort of the middle ground between our short and long term goals, where you still keep the pick but at a lower spot to help you now.

Keeping seven doesn't mean we're taking a step backwards. There are other ways to take steps forward. Most organizations use their first round picks - that doesn't mean they're not trying to take steps forward. It's part of maintaining a healthy organization - or in our case, getting the organization back to good health.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
How can you talk extension if Alfredsson is needed to convince the guy to waive his NTC?

Boston could grant Ottawa permission to speak with Ullmark and his agent whenever they want. They could say "He doesn't want to waive, but you guys try convincing him. Maybe show him a video of beautiful Kanata Centrum, that might make him perk up."

He doesn't need to agree to waive before Ottawa gets involved. It's up to Boston.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Keeping seven doesn't mean we're taking a step backwards. There are other ways to take steps forward. Most organizations use their first round picks - that doesn't mean they're not trying to take steps forward. It's part of maintaining a healthy organization - or in our case, getting the organization back to good health.
It’s just weighing out the risk on both sides.

The player you get at 12 vs the player you get at 7 is something the Sens have some sort of pulse on.

Like three years down the line are we a better team with Ullmark + Solberg or are we better with just Dickinson? Obviously this is a random example, but that’s the balance the Sens have to find.

We can say find other ways to fix the goaltending and protect your picks but if it’s the best way to fix a position we need massive help on, it shouldn’t be discounted either. We have to acknowledge we no longer have the luxury of time. Doesn’t mean you get reckless like Dorion either.

Reactions: Agent Zub

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
It’s just weighing out the risk on both sides.

The player you get at 12 vs the player you get at 7 is something the Sens have some sort of pulse on.

Like three years down the line are we a better team with Ullmark + Solberg or are we better with just Dickinson? Obviously this is a random example, but that’s the balance the Sens have to find.

We can say find other ways to fix the goaltending and protect your picks but if it’s the best way to fix a position we need massive help on, it shouldn’t be discounted either. We have to acknowledge we no longer have the luxury of time. Doesn’t mean you get reckless like Dorion either.

I'm not sure how trading 7 for 12 would impact an Ullmark acquisition, unless we're flipping 12 to Boston, which wouldn't be great.

If it's a "let's trade 7 for 12 and dump Korpisalo on them because we need to get rid of him to go after Ullmark", that'd be even worse.

Just buy him out. The penalty isn't very punitive. It even adds cap space this year!

7 to 12 is a fairly big leap, IMO. It'd be one thing to swap with Calgary at 9, for example, if you know who they want and have a good idea who the team at 8 wants.

But a lot can happen between 7 and 12.

The problem we have isn't so much prospect depth. We have lots of guys who project to be 3rd or 4th line NHLers. The problem is outside of Stutzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson, we don't have elite talent. And after being so bad for so long, it's crazy that we only have 3 guys. We need another one, and we have a better chance at getting one at 7 than at 12.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm still not sure why they are hell bent in trading for both Tanev brothers considering they are 34 & 32 yrs old. I get they need some more experience in their lineup, but there must be some better options out there especially if Chris wants more than a couple of yrs term & both are somewhat expensive given their age. Clearly that kind of player is valuable & sought after & shows how rare they are in the NHL these days.
top 10 protected 2025 .. which very well could be in the 20s

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
= why chabot is being moved for him.
Chabots gets a ntc after this summer AND 10m

Our d is getting a makeover.

Chych and 25 > ullmark

7oa + chabot + korpi > 12oa, Laughton and konecty

****supposedly
That’s not a makeover. That’s a trade everybody and then there’s no one left lol. We still need people to play D

Konecny? 10 ... as in 10 million dollars per year?
Yeah

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I hate to say it, but it's time to clean up the D. And left handers are easy to come by. Get me a solid righty or two and the left side will sort out itself.
Nothing is easy to come by.

Unless we are getting Buium or Dickinson we should be trading everyone.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Nothing is easy to come by.

Unless we are getting Buium or Dickinson we should be trading everyone.
Who knows. I assume - in this scenario - we'd be signing or acquiring a vet left hander to hold the position until someone like Dickinson or even Kleven is ready for top 4 minutes.

Again, it's right handers that are rare as hen's teeth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad