Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Ullmark has three seasons now of 40+ games with solid stats, and put up respectable numbers on some bad Sabres teams. This isn't a Korpisalo situation where his career has been up and down - he's been solid since he entered the league. He is presently a 1B, and would absolutely be the man in Boston if not for Swayman.

Is he Saros? No, but he's the closest thing, and you'd absolutely be paying out the nose to pry Saros out of Nashville. That's a team that knows and *loves* their goalies.

Last edited:

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If the Ullmark trade is contingent on the Philly trade going through, I’d assume there’s a specific player they want. Farabee? Frost? Idk, Boston needs forwards. The flyers have been pretty adamant about wanting to re-sign Konecny but I guess they could be lying.

Add on to that all the dman talk and it’s all a bit confusing.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You really don’t like Korpi. He s not that bad. With a better structure, I think he could be fine At the end of the year, he was good
His career numbers and the performance of his peers behind those same teams tells us everything we need to know imo.

His numbers last year weren't even capable backup. when all was said and done. And really, the issue is the bad ones besides his poor numbers.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Idk, Chych and moving down to 12 should get more than the final pick in the first and Laughton imo.

Moving from 7OA to 12OA should return the FLA 1st (essentially a 2nd) plus another pick.

Chychrun, even with just 1 year left, has more value than Laughton. Quite a bit more.

If Staios is considering such a trade, we're hooped.

Maybe he'd try to stick Philadelphia with Korpisalo's contract as well, and that is the "contingency" for making a subsequent Ullmark trade, but attaching an albatross contract to our two best trade assets would be a more of a Dorion-esque move than Dorion ever made.

I wouldn't be down.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Moving from 7OA to 12OA should return the FLA 1st (essentially a 2nd) plus another pick.

Chychrun, even with just 1 year left, has more value than Laughton. Quite a bit more.

If Staios is considering such a trade, we're hooped.

Maybe he'd try to stick Philadelphia with Korpisalo's contract as well, and that is the "contingency" for making a subsequent Ullmark trade, but attaching an albatross contract to our two best trade assets would be a more of a Dorion-esque move than Dorion ever made.

I wouldn't be down.
Flyers do need a goalie with Hart unavailable. And we need a destination to send a goalie, you might be on to something...

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Ullmark has three seasons now of 40+ games with solid stats, and put up respectable numbers on some bad Sabres teams. This isn't a Korpisalo situation where his career has been up and down - he's been solid since he entered the league. He is presently a 1B, and would absolutely be the man in Boston if not for Swayman.

Is he Saros? No, but he's the closest thing, and you'd absolutely be paying out the nose to pry Saros out of Nashville. That's a team that knows and *loves* their goalies.

I like Ullmark, and you can't argue with the numbers he's put up. But you can't deny there are risks. Significant ones.

His career high GP in a season is 49, last year he played 40 (without ever playing 2 in a row), and he did it with a top-notch partner behind one a veteran and high-end defensive team.

That won't be the situation in Ottawa.

If the asking price is Chychrun + a 1st + another pick and then you have to give him a 6-7 year extension at ~7M before he ever plays a game for you... that's crazy talk.

Markstrom just went for a top 10 protected 1st and a good 3rd pairing defenseman but NJ is only on the hook for 2 years for a total of ~$8M. Not a ton of risk, and a lot of upside.

Based on where we are as a team, I'd take the risk of giving Ullmark the extension. But the most I'm trading for him is Chychrun 1:1 or the 25th pick + a prospect like Jarventie or Boucher.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Flyers do need a goalie with Hart unavailable. And we need a destination to send a goalie, you might be on to something...

Korpisalo also had his best season with Torts in Columbus, so maybe he likes the guy.

But I still wouldn't make that trade with Korpisalo included.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think Chychrun isn't going to Philadelphia, he is the piece going to Boston for Ullmark.

I suspect the reason they are swapping picks with Philadelphia is because Philadelphia is willing to take Korpisalo as part of the trade. Boston isn't taking Ullmark, so that necessitates involving a third team.

We know that Boston "politely declined" Korpisalo at the deadline. We also know that Ottawa has very little cap flexibility with multiple needs that they have to fill. So having to dump Korpisalo to get a goalie makes sense.

If the difference between 7 and 12 is an average first round pick, that's your sweetener for dumping Korpisalo. Instead of getting back a 1st from PHI to swap picks, Ottawa sends them Korpisalo.

While that might seem low, you have to consider that PHI could want a specific player, and they might have that player ranked very high. So if they have that player ranked 3rd overall, internally it would be like trading up from 12 to 3, not 12 to 7.

Reactions: PlayOn

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I think Chychrun isn't going to Philadelphia, he is the piece going to Boston for Ullmark.

I suspect the reason they are swapping picks with Philadelphia is because Philadelphia is willing to take Korpisalo as part of the trade. Boston isn't taking Ullmark, so that necessitates involving a third team.

We know that Boston "politely declined" Korpisalo at the deadline. We also know that the team has very little cap flexibility with multiple needs that they have to fill. So having to dump Korpisalo to get a goalie makes sense.

If the difference between 7 and 12 is an average first round pick, that's your sweetener for dumping Korpisalo.

While that might seem low, you have to consider that PHI could want a specific player, and they might have that player ranked very high. So if they have that player ranked 3rd overall, internally it would be like trading up from 12 to 3, not 12 to 7.

If it ended up being:

Out: Chychrun, Korpisalo, 7th OA
In: Ullmark, 12th OA

You could stomach that.

But if Garrioch reporting is true and BOS want Chychrun + a 1st + something else, it'd end up being:

Out: Chychrun, Korpisalo, 7th OA, 25th OA, Jarventie/Ostapchuk

I'm not doing that, considering what Markstrom just went for.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
If it ended up being:

You could stomach that.

But if Garrioch reporting is true and BOS want Chychrun + a 1st + something else, it'd end up being:

It's not so much what Ullmark is going for it's what teams would expect in return for taking on the Korpisalo contract.

Reactions: Alex1234

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If it ended up being:

You could stomach that.

I didn't mean to suggest Chychrun alone would go to Boston. It sounds like it's going to take Chychrun and another big piece, like the BOS 1st.

Maybe Ottawa and Florida can swap 25 for 32 as part of the trade because at the end of the day Boston isn't turning down Chychrun+32.

There are a lot of different angles with PHI/OTT that you could go through and make the trade really convoluted, but I think the base of it will be 7 for 12 with PHI taking Korpisalo. Whether they add in a Joseph for Laughton swap, or whether Chabot gets put in the trade as some random Tweets seemed to hint at, who knows.

It could be something like 7th+25+Korpisalo for 12th+32+51. Then even with sending 32 to Boston, they can at least justify that they turned 25 into 32+51, so even know Boston got 32, Ottawa still at least has an additional pick in the first two rounds.

We also don't know what Ottawa's list looks like. There are multiple teams willing to trade out of the top 10. So it is possible that they might get the same caliber of player at 12 as they would at 7. In that scenario, those two series of trades would be a lot easier to accept because the 7 to 12 swap wouldn't have a very steep cost for Ottawa.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

We know that Boston "politely declined" Korpisalo at the deadline. We also know that Ottawa has very little cap flexibility with multiple needs that they have to fill. So having to dump Korpisalo to get a goalie makes sense.

If the difference between 7 and 12 is an average first round pick, that's your sweetener for dumping Korpisalo. Instead of getting back a 1st from PHI to swap picks, Ottawa sends them Korpisalo.

This makes a lot of sense. There’s still a missing piece somewhere if we believe that there’s a defenceman involved with the Flyers. One guy said a defenceman that’s not who you’d think (so not Chychrun) and another guy said Sens are talking about multiple defencemen (although that one wasn’t Flyers specific), so I wonder if that’s another piece of the deal. Could just be a throw-in like Brannstrom though.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
It's not so much what Ullmark is going for it's what teams would expect in return for taking on the Korpisalo contract.

The correct path if you have to get rid of him would be to buy him out. Not pay a premier asset to trade him. The highest dead cap year on a buyout would be ~2M, but that'd come in 27/28 when the cap is likely to be 98-100M.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I didn't mean to suggest Chychrun alone would go to Boston. It sounds like it's going to take Chychrun and another big piece, like the BOS 1st.

Maybe Ottawa and Florida can swap 25 for 32 as part of the trade because at the end of the day Boston isn't turning down Chychrun+32.

There are a lot of different angles with PHI/OTT that you could go through and make the trade really convoluted, but I think the base of it will be 7 for 12 with PHI taking Korpisalo. Whether they add in a Joseph for Laughton swap, or whether Chabot gets put in the trade as some random Tweets seemed to hint at, who knows.

It could be something like 7th+25+Korpisalo for 12th+32+51. Then even with sending 32 to Boston, they can at least justify that they turned 25 into 32+51, so even know Boston got 32, Ottawa still at least has an additional pick in the first two rounds.

We also don't know what Ottawa's list looks like. There are multiple teams willing to trade out of the top 10. So it is possible that they might get the same caliber of player at 12 as they would at 7. In that scenario, those two series of trades would be a lot easier to accept because the 7 to 12 swap wouldn't have a very steep cost for Ottawa.

Going from 7 to 12 to get rid of Korpisalo and then sending Chychrun + another 1st to BOS for Ullmark would be a bad move, any way you slice it.

I like Ullmark. I'd trade for him. But I'm not paying much more than what NJ just paid for CGY. Especially considering he carries a lot more risk considering the extension he'll need.

As much as Ottawa needs a goalie, BOS isn't exactly in a position of bargaining strength. They'll need to pay Swayman $7-8M so are set on moving Ullmark, but according to Dreger, he's not interested in playing in the West. So that leaves you with OTT and TOR in the East, and what does TOR have to trade?

Chychrun + Forsberg + the 25th for Ullmark is the most I'd do.

Keep the 7th and try to rehabilitate Korpisalo over 30-35 games next year, and then try to flip him with ~1M retained next summer. But if you really don't want him around, buy him out. Don't pay an asset to get rid of him.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This makes a lot of sense. There’s still a missing piece somewhere if we believe that there’s a defenceman involved with the Flyers. One guy said a defenceman that’s not who you’d think (so not Chychrun) and another guy said Sens are talking about multiple defencemen (although that one wasn’t Flyers specific), so I wonder if that’s another piece of the deal. Could just be a throw-in like Brannstrom though.

It could be that we're not dumping Korpisalo, and they are taking Chabot. Or it could be that they are taking both. In which case, I would expect us to have to take a big contract from them. Atkinson makes sense since he is an expiring contract that they clearly want to dump.

So it could be like two different trades built into one.

7th for 12th (Philadelphia takes Korpisalo)
Chabot+Joseph for Atkinson+Drysdale+Laughton

Chychrun+25+Another B Or C piece for Ullmark (5.5M-6.5M or so extension).

People will raise an eyebrow at Drysdale, but he had injury troubles in Anaheim and he has not been good in Philadelphia. They traded a blue chip prospect for him. Say what you want about Chabot's play, but he is still #2-3 defenseman on a good team or a top pairing D on a bad team. He is also still young. Flipping Drysdale for Chabot ensures that Philadelphia doesn't risk turning Cutter Gauthier into nothing, and they get a core player for him. Ottawa taking Atkinson offsets Chabot being overpaid.

So Ottawa basically changes over 4 roster spots in one trade and comes ahead with cap space to add Tanev or whoever their Tanev proxy will be if he doesn't sign.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
It could be that we're not dumping Korpisalo, and they are taking Chabot. Or it could be that they are taking both. In which case, I would expect us to have to take a big contract from them. Atkinson makes sense since he is an expiring contract that they clearly want to dump.

So it could be like two different trades built into one.

7th for 12th (Philadelphia takes Korpisalo)
Chabot+Joseph for Atkinson+Drysdale+Laughton

Chychrun+25+Another B Or C piece for Ullmark (5.5M-6.5M or so extension).

People will raise an eyebrow at Drysdale, but he had injury troubles in Anaheim and he has not been good in Philadelphia. They traded a blue chip prospect for him. Say what you want about Chabot's play, but he is still #2-3 defenseman on a good team or a top pairing D on a bad team. He is also still young. Flipping Drysdale for Chabot ensures that Philadelphia doesn't risk turning Cutter Gauthier into nothing, and they get a core player for him. Ottawa taking Atkinson offsets Chabot being overpaid.

So Ottawa basically changes over 4 roster spots in one trade and comes ahead with cap space to add Tanev or whoever their Tanev proxy will be if he doesn't sign.

I really think this is being overblown. Philadelphia has York at LD, Sanheim who's a natural LD but can also play RD, Seeler who they just re-signed, and Zamula who's a nice young player on the left side. And based on what's out there, the guy they're trying to move up to get is Dickinson, a LD.

I'm not sure why they'd be interested in Chabot or even Chychrun.

Plus, Briere has been pretty upfront about their rebuild and not taking shortcuts.

My bet is that it's more of a "if the guy we really like is gone, and the guy you really like is there, we'll swap 7 for 12 and another pick or two at the draft".

The Ullmark situation is a different story. I doubt the price will be as high as what's being talked about here, but the real question is whether Ullmark would accept a trade and sign here.

Last edited:

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
A trade contingent on another trade, that may only happen if a certain player is available at 7, 10 days from now. Too many moving parts, with too much time for things to change.

Sens management is locked down, no rumors come out, then two linked in a day. Odd circumstances.

I think the Sens have some trades in the works, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is something that has not been speculated on today.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You said that Saros played better. How did he play better than a guy who won the Vezina?

And Swayman is a top 5 goalie in the league. That's like saying Draisaitl isn't that good because he's playing 2C on his team.

If Saros is so much better, then why is he available? Ullmark is only available because Boston has Swayman. Why is Nashville willing to trade Saros so easily if he's better than the Vezina winner?
Ullmark had great numbers in 22-23 but was helped a great deal by Bruins Team D. Swayman had a 920 save percentage and 2.27 GGA last year which were both top 5 for goalies that played 20 games or more.

And if you don't know why the Preds would trade Saros then go look up Varoslav Askarov. He's the reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad