Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
That's what people said about Tavares and yet some people have been complaining about him for the past few seasons even though he's still a pretty decent player who hasn't dropped off nearly as far as many expected him to by now. If Tanev drops off early or doesn't play nearly as well as we hope he does, there's going to be a firestorm coming. is at 11 mill
Tavares is at 11 , Tanev will come in 4 or Under, not even close to comparable.

Reactions: Sypher04

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Tavares is at 11 , Tanev will come in 4 or Under, not even close to comparable.
People will still complain about how Tanev's caphit could've been used on signing someone else more effective. Just look at how many people complain about Kampf and Jarnkrok and even dirt cheap Timmins and how they're not contributing enough and need to be moved.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Well, I like our 7th Rd picks that we chose today so I think people should stop saying we gave up nothing for Tanev's rights.
For perspective, odds are higher for Tanev entering the league @ 40 years old and having a better NHL career in that 1 season than the player drafted with the 7th rounder.

Tanev is old yes but he has enough in the tank to not care about losing 7th round picks.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Tanev is still a legit top 4D. You can disagree but you’d be wrong.

We don’t need anyone better than Rielly to win. Rielly is a #1 D. The problem is we’ve surrounded him with spare parts his entire career. Get players of appropriate quality to actually help and compliment him. And because he’s more of an average 1D than a high end one, you do need someone else who is close to his level, someone like Skjei would be a good example

I would argue Tanev was a top pairing quality D last Season, at worst a number 2.

The man ate some of the most difficult minutes in the league head to head against Eichel, Rantanen and the leagues MVP in the first two rounds and held them to a combined one goal 5 on 5.

The guy was simply unbelievable in rounds 1 and 2.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
And what are those ?
The implications are primarily that if you have a player or players on LTIR you cannot accrue cap space throughout the season for use at the deadline. It doesn't seem to hurt LV too much and as a team that is pretty much always up against the cap and not accruing space anyway, I think it is a good trade off for us to make. Get a low AAV while the cap is $88M and not be able to accrue when it gets over $100M. AOK with me.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
People do understand it’s going to take two seasons to rebuild their defense. $22M+ coming off the books after next season will be needed to sign some of the names I’m reading here. There are 31 other teams competing for 8-10 top four dmen. Forget top two dmen. They’re rarely available as UFA.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
The implications are primarily that if you have a player or players on LTIR you cannot accrue cap space throughout the season for use at the deadline. It doesn't seem to hurt LV too much and as a team that is pretty much always up against the cap and not accruing space anyway, I think it is a good trade off for us to make. Get a low AAV while the cap is $88M and not be able to accrue when it gets over $100M. AOK with me.
Exactly what I thought. They’re a cap team anyway. And low salary teams will take players on LTIR to meet the floor. The sky isn’t falling.

Reactions: conFABulator

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
at his age he really can't demand more then a 2-3 year deal, he's from Toronto so if he signed a 2 year deal and he no longer a top 4 Dmen he might want to just stay home.
I think he can. The Leafs are about to give him a deal longer than 2-3 years

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
It’s going to be something stupid like a 8 year deal at 3 million
Except it’s not stupid if they front load it they can beat out teams willing to pay him a higher AAV on a shorter term. They don’t have $5-6M AAV to throw his way to compete with teams that do.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Love Tanev. Huge add

Now can you focus on getting a real number 1 D

Let’s stop with adding 3rd and 4th line plugs. And let’s stop adding depth D.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Exactly what I thought. They’re a cap team anyway. And low salary teams will take players on LTIR to meet the floor. The sky isn’t falling.
Especially if the contract is front end loaded with signing bonuses. A team can take he on the cap without having to pay a lot of actual dollars in the back half of a well structured deal.

There are still some ways a team with financial strength can us dollars to their advantage. For example, offer Tanev $5M more over the life of what will be his last contract by offering more years and load it with signing bonuses in the early years. Say, $20M over seven years with $15M paid our in the first three years (or whatever the max allowable is to front end load these days).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Fantastic. I’m convinced many of you have no clue who this player really is and will absolutely love him in a few short months.
I know who he is. I know he is a wonderful shut down guy and a wonderful fit for the Leafs but he is NOT young and I'm not sure how much money you spend on Tanev given the fact that the Leafs are getting old fast.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Especially if the contract is front end loaded with signing bonuses. A team can take he on the cap without having to pay a lot of actual dollars in the back half of a well structured deal.

There are still some ways a team with financial strength can us dollars to their advantage. For example, offer Tanev $5M more over the life of what will be his last contract by offering more years and load it with signing bonuses in the early years. Say, $20M over seven years with $15M paid our in the first three years (or whatever the max allowable is to front end load these days).
The Leafs are smart to do that to compete with lower tax States and players who don’t want the pressure. Not everybody wants to play in Canada and especially Toronto. Make it worth their while to get their attention. Maybe the player’s agent get paid earlier too ?

Reactions: conFABulator

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Throwing away a 7th is nothing but the thought of giving a 35 yr old (mid season) a long term deal is just a terrible idea. But that’s Tre …he gave reaves a contract to long and now is attempting to over buy for Tanev.

He may be good for a few yrs…and then we will wondering how to get rid of that contact.

Not a fan

But what did we expect from Tre?

Let’s hope the cap hit is team friendly because that will be the only way you should offer a long term deal.
A few years is all they have on Matthews contract anyway. If they don’t win by then, it’s rebuild time.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad