Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Unless they're LTIRs, no. They get injured after, like Foligno, or like Tanev will plenty over the next 6 years.
I know it can be shocking sometimes how inept and dumb Dubas is/was. Hard to believe he has any fans really.

dubas.jpg

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He joined the team on April 22nd, fully healthy, and got injured May 3rd. I'm not sure what you think he has to do with Tanev, but if you dislike injury risk, Tanev from ages 34-40 is pretty much all injury risk.
I'm talking about one of the worst trades in Maple Leafs history when Dubas gave up a first round pick for a low talent grinder who had a back injury. Yes, I know Tanev is a risk. That's why he doesn't have a higher cap hit.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm talking about one of the worst trades in Maple Leafs history when Dubas gave up a first round pick for a low talent grinder who had a back injury. Yes, I know Tanev is a risk. That's why he doesn't have a higher cap hit.
You're talking about a trade for a healthy and highly coveted player years ago. I'm talking about Tanev, who didn't get a raise because he's 34 years old, and being signed until he's 40. At that age and term, he should have been cheaper.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
You're talking about a trade for a healthy and highly coveted player years ago. I'm talking about Tanev, who didn't get a raise because he's 34 years old, and being signed until he's 40. At that age and term, he should have been cheaper.
The best 11 games that I've ever witnessed from a broken down grinder with a bad back. It was magical. Thank you Dubas.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Haven’t heard or read one analyst that thinks Tanev is around the last years of this deal, fret not about the term. Tre has known this guy forever too, they cut to the chase pretty quick I bet.

Reactions: Kazparov and Buds17

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
What boggles my mind is how many people are celebrating this.

Meanwhile my suggestion they trade for a younger three time Norris winner in Karlsson was ridiculed. He's too old and injury prone is exactly what I was told. But the same people who said that are tripping all over themseves regarding this one.

You know who you are.

What's with Treliving and damaged goods anyway. Am I the only one concerned the starting goaltender, 1RHD, OEL, Murray, and Hakanpaa are all made of Cottonelle. I don't even know if I got everybody, probably not.

All these guys are on top of the injury prone players like Matthews, Liljegren, and Robertson, who were already here.

The Leafs went from horrible management to even more horrible management. Treliving's dumber than dumb. A team made of glass expecting to play pound and ground hockey doesn't sound like the best idea to me.

But yeah, Tanev is soooo much younger, better, and healthier than Erik Karlsson it shouldn't be a problem.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
What I don't get with alot of people is the consensus on here(hfboards) is that this coming year is a throw away year with Tavares and Marner's contract so were not expected to compete for the cup this season

but so many people are saying it's a great signing because we should get two good years out of Tanev, before he regresses to maybe a bottom pairing guy for a year or 2 and then LTIR.

but if were not competing this year that means only 1 year Tanev will still be at his best and 2 years he'll be overpaid playing on our bottom pairing.

everybody believes our best chance to win is in Matthews current contract meaning the three season's after this next one yet were basically just signed a player not expected to be worth his contract in year 2 and 3 of that window, and yet the majority seem to like the deal

btw this is not my opinion at all just the consensus it seems to what I'm reading in here. just doesn't seem to make sense.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Meanwhile my suggestion they trade for a younger three time Norris winner in Karlsson was ridiculed. He's too old and injury prone is exactly what I was told. But the same people who said that are tripping all over themseves regarding this one.

You know who you are.

What's with Treliving and damaged goods anyway. Am I the only one concerned the starting goaltender, 1RHD, OEL, Murray, and Hakanpaa are all made of Cottonelle. I don't even know if I got everybody, probably not.

All these guys are on top of the injury prone players like Matthews, Liljegren, and Robertson, who were already here.

The Leafs went from horrible management to even more horrible management. Treliving's dumber than dumb. A team made of glass expecting to play pound and ground hockey doesn't sound like the best idea to me.

But yeah, Tanev is soooo much younger, better, and healthier than Erik Karlsson it shouldn't be a problem.
You really don't see the difference between signing Tanev and trading for Karlsson?

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
What I don't get with alot of people is the consensus on here(hfboards) is that this coming year is a throw away year with Tavares and Marner's contract so were not expected to compete for the cup this season

but so many people are saying it's a great signing because we should get two good years out of Tanev, before he regresses to maybe a bottom pairing guy for a year or 2 and then LTIR.

but if were not competing this year that means only 1 year Tanev will still be at his best and 2 years he'll be overpaid playing on our bottom pairing.

everybody believes our best chance to win is in Matthews current contract meaning the three season's after this next one yet were basically just signed a player not expected to be worth his contract in year 2 and 3 of that window, and yet the majority seem to like the deal

btw this is not my opinion at all just the consensus it seems to what I'm reading in here. just doesn't seem to make sense.
The consensus of the board is not how the hockey club is run.. they are obviously looking to compete this year, and the next, and the next, and the next etc.. there is no rebuild year until it eventually falls off the rails.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The consensus of the board is not how the hockey club is run.. they are obviously looking to compete this year, and the next, and the next, and the next etc.. there is no rebuild year until it eventually falls off the rails.

I'm aware of all of this. my point was towards how the board seems to be happy with a move that contradicts it's self

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017

There's a difference between what the uber pessimistic HFboards and what Leaf management think.

We think this could be a throwaway year.

Leafs are thinking they needed to improve their team through options available to them.

Coaching change is a good one for sure and I'd argue the D looks better than last year. Goaltender still iffy.

Will it end up making a difference in the end? I personally don't think this is a cup winning team BUT at the end of the day a team needs to rise above the sum of it's parts to win. They are likely a playoff team but beyond that very unproven hence everyone's pessimism.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

You know who you are.

The Norris is awarded for offensive play by a defenceman, not defensive play. Tanev is a better defender than Karlsson and is exactly what the Leafs need.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

You know who you are.

Negative poster, finds way to spin things in a negative way... news at 11.

Tanev is the exact partner Rielly needs. Who knows how many years he'll be good for, before he ends up on LTIR, but Tanev will be the exact type of player Rielly can excel with. It's almost like you have no idea what our needs are.

Karlsson would have cost a lot more to obtain than a 7th and throwaway, would have had a higher cap even retained, and would have meant we still needed a Tanev like guy for Rielly.

You really are talking about the merits of obtaining Karlsson, and calling others dumb??????

BTW... OEL just came off an 80 game season. Tanev has played 82 games, 75, and 65 games the last three years... actually been quite durable. Hakanpaa 82 games, 80 games, and then 64 after needing knee surgery last year... so hardly been an injury plagued player.. but thanks for making stuff up.

Murray is a #3/4 Goalie... with Hildeby maybe even getting an opportunity before him, if he shows he's ready....

Congrats on going to great lengths, to find something to complain about today.

Reactions: ACC1224

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
There's a difference between what the uber pessimistic HFboards and what Leaf management think.

We think this could be a throwaway year.

Leafs are thinking they needed to improve their team through options available to them.

Coaching change is a good one for sure and I'd argue the D looks better than last year. Goaltender still iffy.

Will it end up making a difference in the end? I personally don't think this is a cup winning team BUT at the end of the day a team needs to rise above the sum of it's parts to win. They are likely a playoff team but beyond that very unproven hence everyone's pessimism.

yea I understand Management isn't giving up on this upcoming year, my comment was solely on this boards consensus. they think this year is a throw away year and Tanev will only have a 2 year window of playing up to the current deal, meaning one useful year out of the 6 year deal and they seem to be happy about it? seems contradictory to me.

Edit: I will again put a disclaimer this is not my opinion on Tanev or the team

Reactions: Kazparov

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Of course I do.

Tanev is older, less gifted or skilled, signed longer, and costs almost as much as Karlsson retained would have.

But he cost less to trade for and he plays the "right way" so Go Tanev... I guess.
Your proposal would have seen the Leafs move two of their best prospects, a youngster (albeit who has underachieved) and two 1sts this team can ill afford to trade at this point.

I'm content with a geriatric Tanev who cost all but money and extra term to add some much needed toughness on the D. I love Karlsson, but a trade like that for him would set the team back years just as it has for Pittsburgh. Sadly, the Leafs aren't a Karlsson away to go all in with and blow their few valuable pieces to try and achieve.

Reactions: ACC1224

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
hf has overrated this guy for a decade. i remember around 2015-2019 seeing countless nylander for tanev trades on here and the consensus being leafs needing to add. he's always been overrated imo

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Your proposal would have seen the Leafs move two of their best prospects, a youngster (albeit who has underachieved) and two 1sts this team can ill afford to trade at this point.

I'm content with a geriatric Tanev who cost all but money and extra term to add some much needed toughness on the D. I love Karlsson, but a trade like that for him would set the team back years just as it has for Pittsburgh. Sadly, the Leafs aren't a Karlsson away to go all in with and blow their few valuable pieces to try and achieve.

I really hope you aren't suggesting, lol, that, lol, Tanev is the solution...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad