Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I’m ok with that same offer for Saros but Ullmark?

No thanks we are going to regret that
Well, you can look at the very recent NJD/Calgary deal to see what the current market is for an experienced goalie.

Ullmark had pretty decent numbers his last year or two with Buffalo. I actually wondered if we could land him when he ultimately became a Bruin.

Last edited:

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
If there's a trade to be made involving Chychrun and the 25th for Ullmark then I would 100% do that. I wouldn't even consider that an overpay on our end, Chychrun sucks.
Come on, man! 6 teams allowed more goals than Ottawa last year. 6 teams had a worse goal differential. Chychrun didn't do that all by himself. He's still seen as a first pairing guy
I like the idea of Bonk, but if Chychrun is our biggest trading chip, then I’d hope we leverage that to address our biggest needs which are a good top 4 RD that can contribute this season and a goalie. I’m assuming Bonk won’t be ready to step into a NHL regular role right away.
Sign Carrier.

Reactions: Alex1234

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Chychrun and a first for Ullmark is madness.

I’m so leery of Ullmark as he was trash before going to Boston …. he’s been a career backup.

I don’t see him as an upgrade to Korpi

I think you are underselling Ullmark big time.

This is a goalie with a .918 SV% average through his career. That puts him top 10 all-time, only behind Shesterkin for active goalies and slightly ahead of the other elite goalies Saros, Hellebuyck and Vasilevskiy.

Yeah he's been on a fantastic defensive team for the last 3 years and that has boosted his numbers, but he's actually spent most of his career on terrible Sabres teams and still put up good numbers.

He's also consistent, which is the best thing a goalie can be. Hasn't had a sub .900 SV% season at any level going back 15 years.

The only question mark with him is his playoff performances. He's only played in 10 playoff games so it's a very small sample size, but his SV% in the post-season is .887, which is terrible.

He's an elite goalie and will be paid as such. Might need to give him a Hellebuyck-type contract to convince him to come to Ottawa, which may be too pricey for us.

Reactions: NB613 and Alex1234

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chychrun + 7OA to Philly for 12OA + 31/32OA + Laughton

25OA + Joseph + Forsberg for Ulmark.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
An insider on the Bruins board, said the Sens will use some assets acquired from Philly for the Ullmark deal. Seems Ullmark agreed to go at Ottawa

I'm very skeptical of that.

You've seen how much he loves that bullshit hugging thing with Swayman

Reactions: Alex1234

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Fair enough I guess I’m in the minority for Ullmark. I hope you guys are right
I agree with you, obviously better than what we have but has been moved to backup and looked shaky in two playoffs in a row

I like him but I’m not paying tons of assets + a big contract extension

On the other hand we’re desperate for a quality goalie so we will see how it plays out

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK

Chychrun and a first for Ullmark is madness.

I’m so leery of Ullmark as he was trash before going to Boston …. he’s been a career backup.

I don’t see him as an upgrade to Korpi
Ullmark went 9-6-3 with a 2.63 GAA and .917 save percentage for a Buffalo Sabres team that lost 18 games in a row lol

I agree with you, obviously better than what we have but has been moved to backup and looked shaky in two playoffs in a row

I like him but I’m not paying tons of assets + a big contract extension

On the other hand we’re desperate for a quality goalie so we will see how it plays out
I mean he was moved to backup because of an even better tender. Thats like complaining Brodeur was only a backup because Roy was the starter

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 8.27.27 PM.png

(15 minutes in)

Sounds like he may have connections to a league executive.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't think Ullmark is a bad goalie or anything. On the contrary he's a pretty good one.

My concern is that based on his recent play, we're paying value for the best case scenario version of him. Playing on the best regular season team of all time behind incredibly strong team defense.

It's going to take a big salary with lots of term to convince him to jump over along with significant trade assets moved, and I'm just not convinced we're going to get appropriate value for what it will take to secure him. This is the absolute peak of his value. We're buying ridiculously high.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I don't think Ullmark is a bad goalie or anything. On the contrary he's a pretty good one.

My concern is that based on his recent play, we're paying value for the best case scenario version of him. Playing on the best regular season team of all time behind incredibly strong team defense.

It's going to take a big salary with lots of term to convince him to jump over along with significant trade assets moved, and I'm just not convinced we're going to get appropriate value for what it will take to secure him. This is the absolute peak of his value. We're buying ridiculously high.
My rebuttal to this is, realistically, what are our other options? We can’t go into next season we the same two guys.

Do we go the reclamation project route again a la Murray? For someone like Merzlikins, Gibson?

Do we sign a career backup that we hope can become a full time quality starter? Someone like Stolarz, Brossoit?

Personally, out of those options, i would rather take the chance and pay premium for someone that has proven to be a great starter in the league and is still in his prime. Even if his play tails off from his time in Boston, he’s still going to be better than what we’ve had the past few seasons.

In the end, there’s no perfect scenario and its going to be a gamble whatever route we go.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We’ve got a full on Da Vinci code trade telephone game going on

Alfredsson being a main cog in the realization of a trade because he’s Swedish is a feather in the cap.

It’s one big game of logical leaps that make sense passing as credible info

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yes and the next year he's a bench warmer in the playoffs. The Bruins team D was the main reason he won that award. He's good but not that good.
You said that Saros played better. How did he play better than a guy who won the Vezina?

And Swayman is a top 5 goalie in the league. That's like saying Draisaitl isn't that good because he's playing 2C on his team.

If Saros is so much better, then why is he available? Ullmark is only available because Boston has Swayman. Why is Nashville willing to trade Saros so easily if he's better than the Vezina winner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad