Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I agree, but switch Laughton for Atkinson who the Flyers are trying to move out & makes a lot more money & it might make sense for both sides. Atkinson recently nixed a deal to SJ so he might not come here either, but who knows. It would also give Philly some space to re-sign Konecny. I assume Ott makes up the money by moving out Joseph LW/RW & Forsberg G ($5.685 mil). If they acquire Bonk it reduces any pressure to draft a RD & maybe they go after Sennecke RW.

To Philly: Chychrun LD ($4.6 mil out)
To Ott: 32nd OA, Bonk RD & Atkinson RW ($5.875 mil in) - difference $1.275

- Ott gets another 1st rd pick & adds a good young RD
- Philly moves out a bad contract, creates some cap space & acquires a top 4 LD.
I like the idea of Bonk, but if Chychrun is our biggest trading chip, then I’d hope we leverage that to address our biggest needs which are a good top 4 RD that can contribute this season and a goalie. I’m assuming Bonk won’t be ready to step into a NHL regular role right away.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm not saying he's great by any means, but GMs love their big RHD.

Is taking on that contract worth 12 oa? Idk, but it's not as bad as some ideas I've seen...
Are we living in a fantasy land where Chabot isn’t a cap dump ?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Stutzle-Pinto-Greig. We already have centre support.

If Chabot is gone do we take another shot at re-signing Chychrun? That d-corps is incredibly bare with both gone. Also Chychrun will probably be a better player if he gets his guaranteed top 4 LD spot.
Oh there’s no way I’m keeping Chychrun either way, just rebuild the left side completely.

Sign a stop gap, trade for someone else, but there’s no way I want Chuchrun here

Reactions: Alex1234

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I like the idea of Bonk, but if Chychrun is our biggest trading chip, then I’d hope we leverage that to address our biggest needs which are a good top 4 RD that can contribute this season and a goalie. I’m assuming Bonk won’t be ready to step into a NHL regular role right away.
I wasn't super impressed by Oliver Bonk at the WJC. I could be totally wrong based on limited viewings, but he seemed like a good skater but not overly physical, and while he can handle the puck and make decent passes he's not exactly a dangler either. Pothier would be my comp, so maybe a #4D on an average team? Am I totally off-base?

Reactions: Senator Stanley

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That depends on how much Chychrun costs, what the team does with the extra 2.8M, etc.
Not sure there’s anyway that would work out for the Sens. They get much worse, and save a very measly amount. Laughton is going to be a mistake for whoever trades for him almost immediately, and Risto is legitimately one of the worst D in the league

Reactions: Alex1234

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Sanderson-Zub
UFA/trade/Brannstrom-Tanev
Kleven-JBD

Added Tanev because we’re definitely going to offer him the highest contract if Chabot and Chychrun are both gone (that’s 13 mil in cap space).

Are we a better team? We need someone other than Sanderson who can move the puck.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The 'framework' is probably something as simple as a pick swap if Demidov falls to 7, which is why it would have to wait for the draft. The Sens would almost certainly not be picking him, so it's a good situation to extract value.

You move from 7 to 12 and get a couple 2nds in the process. Easy.
Just quoting myself here to add on...

...apparently there's a Flyers discord server and a guy there with some insider credentials believes there is a deal for Philly to move up to 7 contingent upon a certain player being available. He thinks it's Dickinson.

Kinda feeling like the Sens are going to move the pick down. Garrioch has been pushing the idea pretty hard in his recent articles as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

...apparently there's a Flyers discord server and a guy there with some insider credentials believes there is a deal for Philly to move up to 7 contingent upon a certain player being available. He thinks it's Dickinson.

Kinda feeling like the Sens are going to move the pick down. Garrioch has been pushing the idea pretty hard in his recent articles as well.
Idk how I feel about that (I suppose it depends on the return). I suppose 31/32 and 12 for 7 would be appealing depending on who we could get at 12th.

But then again, there are some guys who if the slide to 7 I'd be all over

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

That would make sense why the trade is in place but hasn't happened yet.

If that were to happen I'd imagine the target for us would be Solberg. Checks off every box for what our staff loves in a player.

Maybe we then try to package two late 1sts for a mid 1st to add the other Norweigan MBN, who also looks like a player we'd be very interested in.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Idk how I feel about that (I suppose it depends on the return). I suppose 31/32 and 12 for 7 would be appealing depending on who we could get at 12th.

But then again, there are some guys who if the slide to 7 I'd be all over
Outside of the top-5 I'm almost always in favour of moving down and adding more ammo to the clip, and it's an especially good idea when the system is as barren as Ottawa's is today.

I can't help but feel that there's a good chance that when 7 rolls around there's going to be a lot of highly ranked players that aren't at the top of Ottawa's list. Based on recent history they're probably not going to take guys like Demidov, Catton, Helenius, or Parekh.

Easier for me to see them moving the pick down and grabbing a Yakemchuk or even a Solberg.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I wasn't super impressed by Oliver Bonk at the WJC. I could be totally wrong based on limited viewings, but he seemed like a good skater but not overly physical, and while he can handle the puck and make decent passes he's not exactly a dangler either. Pothier would be my comp, so maybe a #4D on an average team? Am I totally off-base?
I definitely fit into the category of “limited viewings” when it comes to Bonk and most prospects. That’s why I said I “like the idea”.

But, more importantly, I guess I’m struggling with the idea of Philly as our trading partner as I’m mostly focused on our 2 biggest priorities (RD & goalie).

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I definitely fit into the category of “limited viewings” when it comes to Bonk and most prospects. That’s why I said I “like the idea”.

But, more importantly, I guess I’m struggling with the idea of Philly as our trading partner as I’m mostly focused on our 2 biggest priorities (RD & goalie).
Those are priorities 2 and 3. Culture change is #1. This roster has enough talent to be a solid playoff team but it’s been broken by Dorion.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What could have been. If Matt Murray didn’t veto the trade to Buffalo we would have not had retention on him and we would have sent Chicago 16OA rather than 7OA.

Not sure there’s anyway that would work out for the Sens. They get much worse, and save a very measly amount. Laughton is going to be a mistake for whoever trades for him almost immediately, and Risto is legitimately one of the worst D in the league
Risto is definitely a cap dump but so is Chabot at this point. I’m getting the feeling you don’t like Laughton lol

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Those are priorities 2 and 3. Culture change is #1. This roster has enough talent to be a solid playoff team but it’s been broken by Dorion.
Culture change will be addressed by a variety of methods some of which will be coaching versus players, the systems we play, what gets emphasized, etc. If our goaltending is as poor as it was last year, and our RD is as weak as its been for the last several years, I don’t think we’ll improve much. Toronto has tried to change their culture by moving in a few new players at the bottom of their roster as well, but things haven’t changed much. You are more optimistic than I am when it comes to adding a player like Laughton who would supposedly or hopefully change the culture. JMHO.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
What could have been. If Matt Murray didn’t veto the trade to Buffalo we would have not had retention on him and we would have sent Chicago 16OA rather than 7OA.

Risto is definitely a cap dump but so is Chabot at this point. I’m getting the feeling you don’t like Laughton lol
The entire sequence of shedding Murray’s contract (a miracle), then signing Korpisalo to a 5 year contract a year later is the stuff legends are made of.

Chychrun and a first for Ullmark is madness.

I’m so leery of Ullmark as he was trash before going to Boston …. he’s been a career backup.

I don’t see him as an upgrade to Korpi
Supposedly Boston would be willing to take Forsberg back (they will make him better). They’d still need to throw in something more worthwhile for me to accept that.

Reactions: DJB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad