Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
JBD is the guy I could see them still trying to change, bring in a body, and put on waivers. I feel like maybe he could work next to Kleven, but not very much experience there and worry they may look to Hamonic as the alternative since he's a vet and Kleven is a rookie. I want the coach to be able to be confident in his 6 guys to keep Hammer in the box.
I'd give JBD another year or even 1/2 a year .. .. See how he does .. if he's plateaued .. replace him on waivers.
My expectations are he will have improved.. A little stronger , maybe a little faster.. His overall awareness should improve.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Staois was a NHL defender. The idea behind adding Jensen is that he’s a better partner for Chabot. I can see the logic Staois is using in that the tandem will improve and that better options just weren’t available to us ultimately unfortunately.

I think some are under estimating how little cap we have as well.

A lot of this off season’s results will boil down to getting an extension for Ullmark.
We will just blame Jensen for not being the right partner for Chabot if things go south no worries

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
What are the rules on burying salary in the minors? For example, if we find someone cheap to replace MacEwen, how much relief do we get by sending him to Belleville?

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Damn wouldve loved him as a cheap signing
Hell of a playoff run for him. Glad to see him stay there.

What are the rules on burying salary in the minors? For example, if we find someone cheap to replace MacEwen, how much relief do we get by sending him to Belleville?
I remember the argument for his contract being that we could bury him with no hit at all, so I think the benefit exceeds his salary.

Reactions: DrEasy and BigRig4

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have no problem with that. He looked a lot better last year and we only need 3rd pairing minutes. My only concern is the coach looking to Hamonic feeling like Kleven needs a vet beside him.
I had that thought as well. Hopefully JBD's improved play and Hamonic's continued decline will help them with the decision.

DeHaan or HakanPaa would have been better options to shelter Kleven

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

You can bury up to ~$1.15M of a player's salary. I can't remember the exact number. But we can put MacEwen in the minors and, because he makes less than that amount, his full cap hit goes off the books.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I had that thought as well. Hopefully JBD's improved play and Hamonic's continued decline will help them with the decision.

DeHaan or HakanPaa would have been better options to shelter Kleven
I do hope we're in the era that performance earns minutes, but all coaches seem to have their favorites and they're usually vets.

I suppose some cautious optimism for Hamonics surgery helping him play a little better than last year, but not holding my breath on that one lol.

I would agree one of those 2 names might be better. I don't have enough viewings to truly say, but I do like shuffling deck chairs for the sake of it sometimes when you know the guy you have isn't cutting it.

Reactions: DrEasy and BigRig4

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I admittedly know nothing, but based on Staios saying months ago he wanted to add older vets, this seems a very specific execution of a plan, right down to the lack of long-term commitments to those vets. I'd bet experienced guys like Staios and JM saw the team last year and thought, these guys need to grow up and be professionals. So he brought in guys to model that behavior. The coaching choices also fit that picture. Overall I like it. With limited resources and options, they're trying to help the core get as close to its ceiling as possible.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Lot of people commented that waiting till the offseason and not doing anything at the deadline would lead to a lot of heavy lifting having to be done now

Chychrun should have been dealt at the deadline. its not looking good imo

It's difficult to say this without knowing what the offers were at the trade deadline, or even at the draft.

It was a very weak market at the trade deadline. Then at the draft, Marino went for two 2nd round picks.

Jensen and a 3rd is a disappointing return value wise. I also do not think it was our first choice if we were in on Tanev, and then Roy. But it may have been just as disappointing of a return at the trade deadline.

The upside is that the trade made the team better, even if the value wasn't there.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
In terms of potentially cheap UFA forwards Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin, Kyle Okoposo, Nick Cousins, Kailler Yamamoto, Sammy Blais, James Van Riemsdyk are still available.

As is Nick Ritchie and Brett Ritchie which could potentially be signed to two way contracts or might be looking to go the PTO route.

Reactions: NB613

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Unless he puts up 30/30 next year with responsible play.

It's really going to come down to his shoulder and Pinto's play next year. Norris has shown he can be a solid 30/30 guy, but I'm more confident in Pinto owning the 2C+PK/PP position by end of next season. Would mean we're either playing Norris as our 3C or he moves to RW, either option would not be ideal for a guy you're paying $7.9m/year.

I was hoping they would explore trading him this offseason. If he gets injured again, we're going to have a hard time finding anyone to take on that contract next summer. Maybe they tried and there was no one willing to take the risk, but just being able to clear that contract out would have been a win in my books. Fine with the choice to wait and see, but his contract will be the hardest to move out of all our big money players if he has another meh season.

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
I admittedly know nothing, but based on Staios saying months ago he wanted to add older vets, this seems a very specific execution of a plan, right down to the lack of long-term commitments to those vets. I'd bet experienced guys like Staios and JM saw the team last year and thought, these guys need to grow up and be professionals. So he brought in guys to model that behavior. The coaching choices also fit that picture. Overall I like it. With limited resources and options, they're trying to help the core get as close to its ceiling as possible.
This is the most ridiculously sane and rationale post I've read. today. Get off the internet and go back to the real world.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Right. Lindholm is meh and if there’s an improvement from UFA signings it’s not a big one. 9 times out of 10 when a team improves its because of a new coaching style, goaltending, or progress of young players.
Lindholm is meh? I would easily take him as our 2C for the next season

Boston def got better. The added the best C avaliable in their weakest position

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lindholm is meh? I would easily take him as our 2C for the next season

Boston def got better. The added the best C avaliable in their weakest position
They did also downgrade their goaltending tandem significantly and lost some guys too. I think they're probably better overall, but it wasn't without some subtractions and risk.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
They did also downgrade their goaltending tandem significantly and lost some guys too. I think they're probably better overall, but it wasn't without some subtractions and risk.
Swayman is better than Ullmark so they kept him. Its not a massive loss for them when it comes to the playoffs where one guys runs with it.

These are almost guaranteed playoff teams that are improving further to try to win

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
In terms of potentially cheap UFA forwards Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin, Kyle Okoposo, Nick Cousins, Kailler Yamamoto, Sammy Blais, James Van Riemsdyk are still available.

As is Nick Ritchie and Brett Ritchie which could potentially be signed to two way contracts or might be looking to go the PTO route.
OK, but not a lot of cap space right now. They have approx. $4.4 m of cap space and still need to sign Pinto and a couple of other players at least. Could move someone I suppose like Joseph. With the cap space situation and what is available now on the market, it doesn’t seem like there’s any needle movers likely coming our way.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Swayman is better than Ullmark so they kept him. Its not a massive loss for them when it comes to the playoffs where one guys runs with it.

These are almost guaranteed playoff teams that are improving further to try to win
Playoffs yes, but regular season has the potential to have an impact. Swayman will likely play a lot more now, but it's a factor imo. Korpisalo has been below replacement level backup 3 of the last 4 years.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Playoffs yes, but regular season has the potential to have an impact. Swayman will likely play a lot more now, but it's a factor imo. Korpisalo has been below replacement level backup 3 of the last 4 years.
If Bostons biggest worry is their backup goalie then I would say they have definitely improved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad