Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It took Arizona almost two years to trade Chychrun, and our dumbass former unemployed GM was the only one who made an offer.

If there was a better offer from a team other than Washington, do you think they purposely rejected it to take Washington's offer? This dude has been on the market for almost 3 years, and these were the best offers for him. The market has dictated what his worth is.
To be fair to our dumbass former GM, other teams were annoyed they took Ottawa’s offer over presumably better offers. We “won” because we were willing to not send cap back, and maybe because Chychrun was happy yo go to Ottawa

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Only stutzle, Sanderson, pinto, and Greig are under 25 when the season starts and could be considered part of our core.

Tkachuk, batherson, Giroux, Norris, Chabot, zub, ullmark etc will all be 25 or older.

This team is pretty much in their prime.
Statistical prime sure. But they will continue to grow as 200ft players past this season, which is more important to winning.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Multiple teams were in on Chychrun when he was available. Apparently, Arizona was not able to take back money. Otherwise, the market on him would have been stronger.

I am fine if people want to be critical of the acquisition from a POV of fit for our own team, and a complete misunderstanding of what our needs should have been. I don't think we need to revise the trade, as if he wasn't worth a 1st and two 2nds.

There was also an element of gambling to the return. I believe Arizona may have had other options even without taking back money, but they targeted our pick because we were a bubble playoff team.

Chychrun was mostly redundant in his role on this team, and it was a headache from day one trying to slot him and Chabot somewhere in the lineup because of how much their roles conflicted. It was strange to give up that much for a position that was not a direct need. It would be like us going out now and trading a haul for Saros after getting Ullmark.

Reactions: LiseL

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I feel pretty comfortable in saying that if we suck this season, it’s because our core isn’t good enough and not because of goaltending or coaching or an oddly constructed roster. There is enough balance there that now that’s the biggest question mark, so in my opinion Staios did his job.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think goaltending is largely why I feel so good about it and moving from a league worst starter to a guy like Ullmark is massive. More than simply the on ice performance.

I do think Jensen is an upgrade on Chychrun and don't care about Brannstrom, JBD is my preffered option out of those 2, but fair to feel otherwise.

Perron is greasy and I like it for this team. I don't know if they go tougher either, but they did increase their vet presence which can be a part of that. They don't bruise guys with big bouts but they know when to get involved. I also like him as a potential calming presence on the PP.

PK should be better with Jensen and Gregor being targeted for that, plus the Ullmark addition.

I like that we're not running back the D or bottom 6 in general. I feel like the guys brought in should be harder to play against than the guys they are being subbed in for. With a core locked up and cap close to tapped out, it's tough to make much change and I think this is a decent strategy.

I also bet they're not completely done. I see 1 more body coming in in some fashion, but who knows.

And again... Ullmark instead of Korpisalo.
Stats show that both Chychrun and Jensen had poor years last year. We are hoping Jensen rebounds at the age of 34 which is rough

JBD is not an addition and again was part of the issue of the defense not being hard to play against.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Senovision

May 23, 2011
The Leafs getting 2 warrior dmen that we were interested in Tanev and Hakanpaa is discouraging. Those two would be nice additions But Tanev at 4 million for 6 years is crazy, but the Leafs will make that contract disappear eventually.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Stats show that both Chychrun and Jensen had poor years last year. We are hoping Jensen rebounds at the age of 34 which is rough

JBD is not an addition and again was part of the issue of the defense not being hard to play against.
You'll have to educate me on the stats that show Jensen had a down year, I'm not good with that side of things when trying to demonstrate it. It looks to me like he tracked pretty well in line with team performance and some stats were posted earlier that showed his defensive performance was far and above Chychrun. There's also the fit factor that was the glaring issue. And he's just turning 34 in September, played about 20 mins in 78 games last year on a playoff team (granted, the worst one), he's not a corpse.

I'm not arguing for JBD necessarily, I'm just saying I don't see the loss of Brannstrom as anything to worry about. Doesn't move the needle for me in the slightest, sort of like Kelly and Kastelic being moved. Imo JBD as underwhelming as he is, brings a better element on the 3rd pairing than Brannstom, if they even keep him slotted there and don't upgrade.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You'll have to educate me on the stats that show Jensen had a down year, I'm not good with that side of things when trying to demonstrate it. It looks to me like he tracked pretty well in line with team performance and some stats were posted earlier that showed his defensive performance was far and above Chychrun. There's also the fit factor that was the glaring issue. And he's just turning 34 in September, played about 20 mins in 78 games last year on a playoff team (granted, the worst one), he's not a corpse.

I'm not arguing for JBD necessarily, I'm just saying I don't see the loss of Brannstrom as anything to worry about. Doesn't move the needle for me in the slightest, sort of like Kelly and Kastelic being moved. Imo JBD as underwhelming as he is, brings a better element on the 3rd pairing than Brannstom, if they even keep him slotted there and don't upgrade.

His drop off is concerning for his age.

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It may be, but I don't think a 1 year drop in performance is necessarily a large enough sample size to truly say or that things dipped enough to be a huge concern. At 33, he's younger than a guy like Tanev by 10 months who just got 6 years. Jensen has at least basically played the full last 3 seasons. We need 2 years out of him and he's a 20 minute player and we traded a guy with very little value to accomplish it.

Surely, he must have still had better metrics than Chychrun because he was awful last year.

Reactions: LiseL

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It may be, but I don't think a 1 year drop in performance is necessarily a large enough sample size to truly say or that things dipped enough to be a huge concern. At 33, he's younger than a guy like Tanev by 10 months who just got 6 years. We need 2 years out of him and he's a 20 minute player and we traded a guy with very little value to accomplish it.

Surely, he must have still had better metrics than Chychrun because he was awful last year.
I mean the same could be said for Chychrun who had a drop off last year

Maybe a product of the team maybe not....Jensen is risky and not a home run

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean the same could be said for Chychrun who had a drop off last year

Maybe a product of the team maybe not....Jensen is risky and not a home run
Sure, but Chychrun still doesn't bring what the team needs which was the bigger issue.

I would never imply it's a home run. It's making the best of a shitty situation imo, but the player fits the bill on paper. Age is a concern, but it's only 2 years and their assumed biggest target was even older and misses a lot of games. But I do think he'll be fine and it's a pretty easy argument to say that at minimum, he should be a much better fit and fill a needed role as opposed to Chychrun.

And I still see everyone improving with a goalie that isn't some ass backup his whole career letting in soft goal after soft goal in between miraculous saves. Ullmark should bring some confidence to the team that hasn't been seen in Ottawa in a long time.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The risk with Jensen is very low because of his term. It's not like it would have been with Tanev where if he fell off a cliff right away we'd be stuck with him for years.

It would just sting for him not to work out for at least this season because I think the fanbase needs a W from the Chychrun trade.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The risk with Jensen is very low because of his term. It's not like it would have been with Tanev where if he fell off a cliff right away we'd be stuck with him for years.

It would just sting for him not to work out for at least this season because I think the fanbase needs a W from the Chychrun trade.
I'll take Jensen at his deal over Tanev at his deal. Maybe not if I'm the Leafs that will always be wading in to LTIR and can bury him on Robidas island when the time comes, but for this team a contract like that would have had this place going bonkers with fire Steve chants.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Any chance we could get Jokiharju for like, 2 million?
There's no cap space to do anything else. They're at 84.5M with 11F, 7D, 2G signed. If you fill that remaining forward spot with a .775k salary you're left with 2.7M to sign Pinto, which is probably fairly tight to begin with. Or you can run with a 21 man roster and pay Pinto a touch more.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The more other teams improve the worst today looks for us. Ain't no way we're anywhere near the playoffs unless Ullmark steals the entire season for us lol.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
I think we just have to upgrade on Joseph and Hamonic, but there’s really no free agents left

This is what I’m thinking right now

Tkachuk Pinto Batherson
Greig Stützle Giroux
Joseph Norris Perron
Gregor Amadio Sokolov

Sanderson Zub
Chabot Jensen
Kleven Hamonic

Ullmark

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
That Norris deal is killer.

Really sticks out. Need him to have a full recovery and stay healthy for the year.

If not, it will take some creativity to deal with that contract.

A healthy Norris is a good player, likely still overpaid with that contract. If he moves to the wing, even more so.

Ad

Ad

Ad