Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
"We're building this team around Brady Tkachuk and the type of person and the type of player and the type of leader that he is. He means everything to the organization and he brings it every night along with our core group of players."
Steve Staios.

Ok now all of the keyboard warriors can stop with their crazy posts from fringe twitter folks about Brady possibly being traded. It is unfounded but however did get Ryan Whitney and Lavoie a bit more time in the media spotlight. Lol
These reporters will say anything especially around trade deadline just to get people believing their lies and to get some notoriety. And to hope that somebody buys what they are selling. This happens every year at this time of year.

I wonder if Staios is just pissing in our ears.

Probably because he is telling the truth

There are many truths.

Says who?

our core guys don’t bring it every night lol

You can't expect players to back check on games that start at 1PM. At least not for the first period.

Reactions: Duncstar

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
If we are building around our core, we better get some players that play defence and have high dawg/60 because that’s what our core lacks.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Staios isn't trading Brady this season, but I do expect if this team doesn't turn things around next season that he and his family will demand a trade out of Ottawa.

He's in his mid-20s now and hasn't gotten close to the playoffs yet. He just watched his brother escape a small town Canadian franchise and immediately go to an American cup contender that was close to winning it all.

Have to think patience is beginning to wear thin for the Tkachuk camp.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Staios isn't trading Brady this season, but I do expect if this team doesn't turn things around next season that he and his family will demand a trade out of Ottawa.

He's in his mid-20s now and hasn't gotten close to the playoffs yet. He just watched his brother escape a small town Canadian franchise and immediately go to an American cup contender that was close to winning it all.

Whether he asks to get traded or not, I think it's incumbent on the team to determine whether he has greater value to the team in a trade or as a roster player. All the "intangibles" aside, he's been the captain of a bottom dweller for years now, his leadership doesn't seem to be getting us any closer to getting to the playoffs, and he's looked downright disinterested and disengaged for lots of this year.

I think an offseason will help this team get its head screwed back on properly but the people running this front office need to do this kind of evaluation for every player on the roster. And they need to decide whether that player has more to offer to the roster or in trade value. There's simply no more grace for this team to continue to falter.

Reactions: LiseL

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
There is a difference on how he answered to the Tkachuk and Chychrun trade rumors. One he completely shut down, and the other he kind of just left the door open a bit, where he was more upset that his name got out by other managers or agents, then the fact that he's actually shopping him.

Reactions: NB613

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I really hope Staios is putting Chychrun's name out there.

I was fine with trading for him but it really hasn't worked out. He hasn't been comfortable at RD at all and has been more one-dimensional than I expected.

Like most of Dorion's acquisitions, we're not going to get nearly as much back for him as we gave up. We gave up a high 1st (12th) + two 2nds.

Staios needs to do everything he can to maximize Chychrun's value and try to replace as much value as possible.

That means trading him at the deadline this year, plus retaining 50% of his contract to expand his trade market.

Trading Chychrun in the summer probably means a DeBrincat-esque return of a late 1st.

Trading him now with retention should mean a 1st + multiple additional secondary assets, all of which are needed to either re-stock the pool or use as trade chips in the summer.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I really hope Staios is putting Chychrun's name out there.

I was fine with trading for him but it really hasn't worked out. He hasn't been comfortable at RD at all and has been more one-dimensional than I expected.

Like most of Dorion's acquisitions, we're not going to get nearly as much back for him as we gave up. We gave up a high 1st (12th) + two 2nds.

Staios needs to do everything he can to maximize Chychrun's value and try to replace as much value as possible.

That means trading him at the deadline this year, plus retaining 50% of his contract to expand his trade market.

Trading Chychrun in the summer probably means a DeBrincat-esque return of a late 1st.

Trading him now with retention should mean a 1st + multiple additional secondary assets, all of which are needed to either re-stock the pool or use as trade chips in the summer.

If they get a solid offer, they should move him now.

They could still get a decent offer in the summer. The big issue when Debrincat was that he valued playing for Detroit more than he valued maximizing his earning potential.

Chychrun is unlikely to give the Senators only 1 team. If he will sign with a handful of teams, the might get a good return on July 1st.

The Debrincat situation was very unique. Usually, players might have an ideal destination, but ultimately money talks.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There is a difference on how he answered to the Tkachuk and Chychrun trade rumors. One he completely shut down, and the other he kind of just left the door open a bit, where he was more upset that his name got out by other managers or agents, then the fact that he's actually shopping him.

I don't think they are trying to trade Tkachuk but they also aren't going to openly announce it if they are, or if they have an indication that he might want out.

The Chychrun stuff is obvious because of his limited term. So they can't outright say no he is a Senator for life. Everyone knows he has a year left and players either stay or go.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why would we want to sign him? He's a completely redundant piece and not needed on the roster whatsoever

Actually creates a very bad build for the roster
disagree

They can run these 3 as LD for a few years then make a decision once the salaries balloon on the roster

I don't think they need a super high end RD. They can get a mid tier guy to play that role who brings a bit of physicality.

If you can trade Chychrun and turn those assets into a legit top pairing RD then sure. I doubt that we can though

Reactions: Laphroaig

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I don't think they are trying to trade Tkachuk but they also aren't going to openly announce it if they are, or if they have an indication that he might want out.

The Chychrun stuff is obvious because of his limited term. So they can't outright say no he is a Senator for life. Everyone knows he has a year left and players either stay or go.
19,000 asses in seats, does not get easier if the most popular player is being discussed as a possible trade chip, or he wanting out.

$20 beers would go down awfully hard

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

They could still get a decent offer in the summer. The big issue when Debrincat was that he valued playing for Detroit more than he valued maximizing his earning potential.

Chychrun is unlikely to give the Senators only 1 team. If he will sign with a handful of teams, the might get a good return on July 1st.

The Debrincat situation was very unique. Usually, players might have an ideal destination, but ultimately money talks.
It's the exact same situation as Debrincat. A redundant player that wasn't needed that didn't fit the make up of the core.

Many argued with me on here about Debrincat having similar value in the offseason. They were dead wrong.

They have no choice Staios needs to trade him right now before the TDL. His value will only go down. After years of horrid asset management by Dorion which has put this team in this position they need to start operating this like an efficient business. Maximize the return on futures.

Reactions: Duncstar and DrEasy

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Brady can ask for a trade

Sens would be dumb to actually go and do that

They will build around him more though with more physical players

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Basic logic would suggest the Sens would get the most value now, especially if they retained on his contract.

A team trading for Chychrun now would be willing to pay the rental price (the value for adding him for a playoff run) + the value of what they could trade Chychrun for in the summer if they didn't need/want to keep him or if he didn't want to extend (the value the Sens would get trading in the summer).

We hold onto him for the rest of the season and we lose the rental price. Little reason to think we'd make more holding onto him and trading him in the summer.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If we are considering trading Chychrun then we absolutely have to retain on him.
JC at $2.3 million is the best D value in the league for 2 playoff runs.
why would we want to take on more cap for next year if we are dealing Chychrun? Hes already on a value deal and retaining would limit what we can do next year

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Brady package could be worth a lot more relative to the amount of games he wins us.

Ready to be called a hater so go at it.

Reactions: Duncstar

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Brady can ask for a trade

Sens would be dumb to actually go and do that
so, they say NO.

He has 4 more years at around 9 M a year (True salary)... he does not want to be here, you say; No trade.. He sulks. You still pay around 9 M a year, for a guy whose production may come down to 2nd line levels.

Should he walk in and ask for a trade, you do one of the following
1) Kiss his behind and hope he moves off his request
2) accommodate him ASAP and get as good a haul back as possible

ditto for any of the 8 x Y guys. Or any of the 4 or more years on their contract guys.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brady package could be worth a lot more relative to the amount of games he wins us.

Ready to be called a hater so go at it.
Lol. Like you'd know what wins games. You love players like Brannstrom and hate Tkachuk.

The PWHL really fits the style of play you like maybe flip over to that forum.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
They should not have to retain he makes 4.6 they may take a contract back that expires after this year though.
true dollars are 7 in his last year. 1 M is bonus in the summer.

Some team may have to pay 7 M, pus 1/4 of 4.4 M for 2 playoff runs..

That is ~ 8.1 M.. A team had better be certain of 2-3 rounds of playoffs or you have just added 3-4 M to yearly losses to the owner.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Staois handled the question about Brady and about Chychrun very differently.

With Brady, he scoffed at the very notion they'd be trading him.

With Chychrun, he basically said of course people are calling about him, he;d be calling about Chych too if he were in their place. But then goes on to say they try to keep these conversations in house out of respect to the player, and it's disappointing that it got out there, essentially confirming talks are/have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad