Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The forward depth is a little underrated IMO, and I think it's mostly due to pessimism after last season's absolute trainwreck.

The Devils have:
4 unquestionable top line players in Jack, Bratt, Meier, and Hischier;
4 unquestionable middle-6ers in Haula, Palat, Mercer (any day now 🤞), and Tatar;
3 unquestionable bottom-6ers in Noesen, Lazar, Cotter (will be a fan favorite by December mark my words);
and then there's Bastian, Foote, and MacDougal or whoever who are almost certainly capable of playing NHL minutes even if it might not be pretty.

That's 14 forwards who could take a shift and not make me instinctively pull up a draft lottery simulator. And then there's Willman, Squires, Stillman, Labanc, all likely capable of handling a cup of coffee without checking the latest prospect rankings. Considering Toffoli, Holtz, Tierney, and Nosek all left for greener pastures, I think the depth could be a LOT worse.
The one thing I kind of like after the Bastian/Foote/MacDermid group is that the rest of the AHL guys are that hungry energy forward type.

Either Stillman, Schmelzer, Laberge, Bowers, Hartman, and Halonen are all at that AHL/NHL bubble where they could bring some energy for a few games on the fourth line in a pinch.

The only thing missing is a young skill guy that could maybe jump into the top six. We lack some skill on the AHL. If it’s an option, might be nice to potentially sign Labanc for the AHL team for that reason. I suppose Gritsyuk is also that player in theory too when his KHL season ends.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
The one thing I kind of like after the Bastian/Foote/MacDermid group is that the rest of the AHL guys are that hungry energy forward type.

Either Stillman, Schmelzer, Laberge, Bowers, Hartman, and Halonen are all at that AHL/NHL bubble where they could bring some energy for a few games on the fourth line in a pinch.

The only thing missing is a young skill guy that could maybe jump into the top six. We lack some skill on the AHL. If it’s an option, might be nice to potentially sign Labanc for the AHL team for that reason. I suppose Gritsyuk is also that player in theory too when his KHL season ends.
filmon probably fits that bill

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Some day 1 camp interviews out.

nico, jack, timo, battery, hatakka, Dougie, tatar... Dillon, nemec, etc

Nico talks (was asked Bout) about day 1, Keefe, tuna, Lindy (Prague game/Prague)...

There are more...

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
"I think"? 3 months, I think?

"I think so" is what I say to my wife when she asks me if I can do something that I know I'm probably not going to do

The "think" is the disclaimer

Then you say "I thought"

4.5 is fair for 3 years. 2 years 3.5 to 3.75 is a better deal for Mercer though.

You give Mercer two years in the top 6 with Jack and his third year will be worth 8 million in 3 years from now dollars.
Guess Fitz knew what he was talking about after all...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad