Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
How did Dorion look at those stats and gleefully give him that monstrous contract
He thought the only chance of keeping his job was the team starting hot and so decided to chuck any amount of money at a goalie that he thought could do that in the short-term. The man wasn't looking out for the team's best interests and was in way over his head.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, after the last few years, we said to ourselves, well, the goaltending can't get worse, so we should see improvement there, and Dorion responded by saying "hold my beer"...

If we're going to have terrible goaltending, it should at least be cheap. Instead, we're spending 6.75, that's top half of the league to have the worst results in the league.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The next week should be busy for Staios

Chychrun has to go, they can't hold onto him this summer and then trade him for less like we've become accustomed too.

Tarasenko to the highest bidder in a futures based deal.

Get feelers out on Tkachuk if there are any legs whatsoever, with his NMC coming up and the team where it is, it wouldn't be a surprising turn of events.

Any of our spare parts that anyone wants to trade for, send them to Timbuctoo, doesn't really matter.

Let it be known what you will be looking to do at the draft, get a feel for what may be available and put some early work in.

There IS going to be a core piece or two moving this offseason, the work should be started to see who is generating interest and what we can expect.

Reactions: NB613 and Relapsing

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I wouldn't be shocked to see anyone moved at this point. The team isn't good and if you have a chance to make a move to improve your team you take it.

There's also a high risk that someone like Tkachuck/Chabot demands a trade after spending years on this sinking ship and when everyone knows you have to trade someone their value tanks (see: EK, Stone, Hoffman, Heatley, Spezza etc.). Hate to say it, but you'd be better off getting rid of them before that happens. I don't see Brady wanting to ride out 8 more years of this crap.

If the team wants to be competitive next season they need to do a lot and have almost nothing to work with in terms of assets. They need a new goalie, a top six forward, better forward depth on 3rd/4th lines, a top 4 RD, two decent quality bottom pairing D, and probably 1-2 veteran NHL guys that can still play in that mix.

They have nothing in the prospect pipeline to graduate (or to trade) and in terms of assets they have a late first round pick (Boston), expiring Tarasenko, probably Chychrun, and probably a #10 overall pick. And a small amount of cap space.

You might have to move a Tkachuck to try and fill all/some of those holes. I don't see how you can do it with the assets they have aside from trading away more picks and further kneecaping their non-existent prospect pool.

I'd hate to be Staois right now.

Reactions: LiseL

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tkachuk isn't going anywhere.

Anyone who would suggest that as even a remote possibility sometime in the next 12-15 months is a lunatic.
He would be using such a story as "Click-bait"!

Any Ottawa GM who would trade Tkachuk would likely be on the list to be fired in the next month or two due to fan backlash (dropping ticket sales and booing at the games).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Whatever happens...this team needs a big shock. I can definitely see a core player being moved (hopefully for a good haul, not a bullshit Dorion special). I was hoping Jacques could get through to them....but they don't seem to want to have any consistency. And they still have a hard time showing up at the start of games.

Something has to give.

It'll really suck if that core guy is Brady, though.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
You remind me of my old high school girlfriend who would lowkey drop that she might kill herself if I ever left her. Rest her soul.

I shall henceforth refer to you as 'Calamity Gil'.
You really think a Tkachuk is going to be fine with 7 NHL seasons and no playoffs? Whether he's part of the blame or not, he's not going stay and stick it out for f***ing Ottawa.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Consider this: are you a fan of the Ottawa Senators, or are you a fan of the players that play for the Ottawa Senators?

I think, as a fan, it's time to let go of any attachments to the players that play for this team.

My ultimate goal as a fan is for my team to win, barring that, to be competitive and extend the window of games I can watch (playoffs) as often as possible.

With that context, go ahead and trade anyone and everyone if the end result is icing a team next year without glaring gaps in the roster that finds success in the regular season. I really don't care anymore.

Let go of your attachments to a group of players that seems deeply flawed in its makeup, built by a GM that left in utter disgrace.

I want the senators to win. I don't care who's on the team to make that happen.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What in our season changed with the loss last night that suddenly has everyone talking about trading the whole roster? None of these games matter. Who cares if they had a stinker on a b2b? It's a completely meaningless game anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: branch

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
We need to be all over full retention on Tarasenko for the rest of this year and Chychrun this year and next.
I’d sacrifice the cap space next year to get more for Chychrun.

It’s obvious some big changes will be coming, and it’s likely that $2.3 million won’t matter for 1 year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What in our season changed with the loss last night that suddenly has everyone talking about trading the whole roster? None of these games matter. Who cares if they had a stinker on a b2b? It's a completely meaningless game anyway.
Nothings changed, everyone wanted to be selling the guys on the team this deadline for a long while.

Deadline is a week away, only makes sense trade talk heats up.

The report from Spittin Chickets and then Renaud Lavoie, for whatever you think it’s worth, that Brady and Walt aren’t pleased in Ottawa and that Ottawa is gauging the water around the league likely gets more traction in the trade rumours thread.

Last edited:

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The challenge with trading a core piece is that you don’t have a ton of options.

Unless there’s truth to Brady/team being unhappy with each other, I don’t think it makes any sense to move him. No real logic behind trading Stützle, Sanderson, Pinto or Greig.

Norris isn’t movable if he has another shoulder injury. Chabot can’t go if you’re moving Chychrun which is inevitable. I suppose you can move Batherson in a hockey deal to fill a need, but I don’t think that would be wise.

It’s easy to say trade a core piece. When you break it down I’m not sure who you would trade.

Team is better off just finding a goalie and RD this summer and hoping for the best - it’s the quickest way to a turnaround. I don’t think they’re too far off here. If they suck again next season, the core is going to come undone anyway. Both team and some players will want to move on. I don’t really buy that you’re losing value by keeping them around one more year and letting things play out.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Is there really much more to fixing this team than getting a goalie? I don't see how moving any core pieces does anything if it doesn't result in average goaltending coming our way.

Is it the only issue? No, but we're probably in the playoff race with a .905 save percentage.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Deadline

Move Tarasenko at 50% retained

Move Chychrun without retention

Try to move Kubalik if not demote him to Belleville

Make sure you have enough cap space to cover Sanderson’s bonus to avoid an overage going into next year.

At the draft

Try to unload Korpisalo for Campbell or add a non premium asset and get Gibson.

Free Agency

Overpay for a top 4 RD

Pick up a physical LD who is serviceable on a cheap 1 year deal.

Add a veteran bottom 6 winger who is fast and competitive.

If Norris is done sign a winger like Toffoli.

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is anyone else tired of hearing about Trade deadline day? Still have to wait until March 8th.
Trade deadline day seems later this year than other years.
Nope. Not me. The Trade Deadline gives us something to look forward to. Like the next draft and UFA season.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Is there really much more to fixing this team than getting a goalie? I don't see how moving any core pieces does anything if it doesn't result in average goaltending coming our way.

Is it the only issue? No, but we're probably in the playoff race with a .905 save percentage.

It's worth considering.

New Jersey looked like they were starting a very long streak of comfortable playoff spots last year.

But Vanecek dropped below .900 this season and they're fighting for their playoff lives right now.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Yes. A Goaltender and a top 4 physical RD. Two key pieces we are missing.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

There is something weird going on with the team, and these reports of some players not being happy and management not being happy with some young players has a certain ring of truth to it to me.
Even when they were winning there was a muted body language, weird vibes, that I found a bit odd.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Consider this: are you a fan of the Ottawa Senators, or are you a fan of the players that play for the Ottawa Senators?

I think, as a fan, it's time to let go of any attachments to the players that play for this team.

My ultimate goal as a fan is for my team to win, barring that, to be competitive and extend the window of games I can watch (playoffs) as often as possible.

With that context, go ahead and trade anyone and everyone if the end result is icing a team next year without glaring gaps in the roster that finds success in the regular season. I really don't care anymore.

Let go of your attachments to a group of players that seems deeply flawed in its makeup, built by a GM that left in utter disgrace.

I want the senators to win. I don't care who's on the team to make that happen.
Yup
Everybody loved EK in spring 2017
We've moved on
And its ok
Big changes are needed
Vancouver acquired Lindholm not because he is friend with Hughes or blabla
Because they needed him
Our roster was built by an idiott

Reactions: NB613 and Relapsing

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Is this team bad because the goaltending is terrible? Or is the goaltending terrible because this team is bad?

It's the Korpisalo and the Egg.

Reactions: LiseL

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
There is something weird going on with the team, and these reports of some players not being happy and management not being happy with some young players has a certain ring of truth to it to me.
Even when they were winning there was a muted body language, weird vibes, that I found a bit odd.
I wonder if Staios or JM thinks Brady isn't delivering as a captain, and has either challenged him or said that they think the captaincy is up for grabs.

No insider info here at all, and I don't want to contribute to the Brady friction rumours from Twitter.

Reactions: Relapsing

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I doubt there is much legitimacy to the Tkachuk trade rumors. Seems more like pure speculation based on the current situation of the Sens and what happened with Matthew Tkachuk.

What we know is that Tkachuk signed long term based on what he thought was a compelling organizational plan. He had a coach he liked and a GM that articulated some vision of what the organization was trying to build towards.

Since then, there has been an ownership change, and for a myriad of reasons, a GM and coaching change. The new management team hasn't made any clear communication publicly about its vision and has instead expressed that it is in an evaluation process and future organizational plans are indeterminate.

The management team has made zero moves so far, which will clarify which direction the organization is heading in and what kind of plan it is building towards. The head coach is also a temporary solution and Staios has made it very clear that they will be looking to hire a new coach in the offseason.

The rumblings about Tkachuk seem to be consistent with that. He doesn't know who the long term coach is going to be and whether he gets along with them. He doesn't know what the next couple of years for the Senators look like and what kind of team Staios is going to try to build and how long that process will be.

If Staios hires someone like Craig Berube and trades for some veterans like Brayden Schenn, Kadri, Coleman, Benn, etc and demonstrates that he is looking to build a hard to play against team that is going to try to compete within the next couple of years those rumblings likely go away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad