Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Korpisalo goals saved above expected:

15-16: 11
16-17: 1.09
17-18: -7.95
18-19: -10.11
19-20: -8.94
20-21: -18.06
21-22: -14.87
22-23: 16.72
23-14: -16.76

Two good years, one draw even year, and every other year he was horrible.
It's just a mystery why this guy hasn't been good this year. Nobody could have seen it coming.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
If we have to Keep Korpi
Add Luukkonen for 1M and Kahkonen for 3M
.905 and .914 with bad defensive team

Ride the Finished Trio...
I mean Finnish

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He was really good one year, you know who else was really good one year, Forsberg, he had a .917 on a bottom feeding Ottawa team and actually played a starters load.

6 out of 9 seasons he has been well below average, an alternative goalie doesn't make him good, like I said, he's never once in his career played a starters load,

We need to run as fast as we can from this contract, flip him for Campbell if we can, EDM gets a lower cap hit this year, and a lower buyout cap hit for 6 years, we get a chance at a reclamation where a change of scenery could actually work, but if not, the buyout is two years shorter

There is no logic to going with Korpisalo over Forsberg I can see,

That year was last year. Forsberg hasn't been good for two seasons now and has a much shorter contract, which means a much more palatable buyout.

I don't understand why people think it's so much better that we go with:

Starter: Trade/UFA
Backup: Forsberg
AHL: Sogaard/Merilainen

then

Backup: Korpisalo

If we keep Forsberg over Korpisalo we're still likely to have a bad goalie as our backup.

It's not like Forsberg is a good goalie. He's a career .906 SV% guy whereas Korpisalo is a career .902 SV% guy.

I could understand the logic of buying out Korpisalo over Forsberg if we were in desperate need of additional cap space and were therefore willing to stomach an 8 year buyout cap hit instead of a 2 year buyout cap hit, but I don't expect that will be the case.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Yeah we really don't need Karlsson on this team anymore unless he came cheap. Use that money on a primarily defensive dman and use the leftover money for depth elsewhere.

As painful as it is to say I agree.

EK would be fun, but I just wanna see this team win a chip and EK is not that piece even if paired with Sanderson. He was that piece if this was 4 years earlier.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Saros for Norris makes sense as the base of a trade with a filler contract going to Ottawa to equal out the cap.

That's assuming Saros is what he appears to be, a legitimate top goalie - and that Ottawa can talk to him prior to a trade to see if he will sign an extension on July 1st. I am not going to pretend to have any idea about goalies.

He will likely cost similar money to Norris on an extension, so it would be money in/out long-term. You're looking at 6.5M-8M, depending on how motivated he is to sign early. Hellebucyk signed at 8.5M and has a better resume so that is why I'd peg 8M as the worst-case-scenario type ceiling.

If Norris was playing like he did when he earned that contract, it wouldn't make any sense. In a sense, both players would have risk. Goalies are notoriously difficult to project long-term. Norris has shoulder injuries dating back to College, and is not playing anywhere near where he did previously. He is also signed long-term.

Nashville has cap space, but they also have a few expiring contracts, or contracts with only a year left that could possible be used to help make it closer to cap in/out.

As painful as it is to say I agree.

EK would be fun, but I just wanna see this team win a chip and EK is not that piece even if paired with Sanderson. He was that piece if this was 4 years earlier.

It depends. Back when he was a kid Erik Karlsson used to play goalie, so he might be an upgrade on Korpisalo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That year was last year. Forsberg hasn't been good for two seasons now and has a much shorter contract, which means a much more palatable buyout.

then

If we keep Forsberg over Korpisalo we're still likely to have a bad goalie as our backup.

It's not like Forsberg is a good goalie. He's a career .906 SV% guy whereas Korpisalo is a career .902 SV% guy.

I could understand the logic of buying out Korpisalo over Forsberg if we were in desperate need of additional cap space and were therefore willing to stomach an 8 year buyout cap hit instead of a 2 year buyout cap hit, but I don't expect that will be the case.
Forsberg had a 902 sv% last year, league average was 904, he wasn't really that bad at all, if you think based on their careers that Forsberg isn't good, to be consistent you'd have to think Korpisalo is terrible because frankly, aside from one outlier, he's been well below average.

You're falling for the same trap Dorion did, get caught up in one good year and think that's representative of the player. there are 8 other years to go by and most of them he was terrible. Just to put it in perspective, this year, we all agree Forsberg has been bad, yet he has a Quality start rate of .500%. Korpisalo has had a quality start % lower than .500 (significantly lower in most if not all depending how you want to define significant) in 6 of his 9 seasons.

Riding it out is insane, a buyout whether we do it now or in a year is still more than half a decade, and it's inevitable. just live with the reality that we'll have 1.3 mil on the books for the next 8 years thanks to dorion and move on.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

then

Wasting cap space is always a bad idea. The only buyout should be Hamonic as his buyout + Guenette is cap neutral.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Forsberg's goals saved above expected...

14-15: -4.7
15-16: 1.68
17-18: -4.69
19-20: -1.57
20-21: -0.08
21-22: 11.49
22-23: 2.94
23-24: -4.05

That is what an inconsistent goalie looks like.

When you have two good years out of nine, you are not inconsistent. Your are consistently bad.

Reactions: Bileur

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Yeah that was a very bad run of moves, they've essentially thrown away their past 3 top 12 1st round picks, there is nowhere to go but up with regards to sunk costs

Get a futures package and use those to trade for a guy at the draft, use their own 1st wisely, and they are sitting pretty compared to what we have become used to
It was more a comment about how the whole DeBrincat situation played out. The fact that Dorion mismanaged the Dadanov trade which has cost the organization a future 1st round pick and the fact that Kubalik has had a terrible season and will likely get the team minimal return, if any at all, essentially amounts to zero return for DeBrincat.

The fact that the Sens didn't even make the playoffs means the trade can't even be justified as a kind of temporary success.

It was high quality assets for one season of under performance by a player who wasn't willing to commit for term. No playoffs as a result of the trade and DeBrincat's poor performance lead to a decrease in trade value. Then to top it all off, the salvaged value is going to amount to pretty much nothing.

At least with Chychrun there is a chance of getting somewhat decent of a return in trading him. If the team gets anything at all it is still better than how the DeBrincat situation played out.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Seeing we lost Norris and one of the guys to trade, we better trade Chychrun real soon or Staios could be left with no big moves. Unbelievable

Reactions: gab6511

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Reactions: Emerica

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

👀 From Lavoie:

Même si les rumeurs entourant Tkachuk semblent farfelues, Lavoie est d’avis que quelque chose se trame à Ottawa.

«Il y a quelque chose qui est en train de se passer et qui se passe d’une certaine façon. On me dit qu’il y a des joueurs qui ne sont pas contents de la façon dont les choses se passent chez les Sénateurs. Et les dirigeants ne sont pas contents de la façon dont ça se passe avec des jeunes de l’organisation. Une chose est claire : que Brady Tkachuk demeure en place ou non, de grosses décisions devront être prises.»

Reactions: NB613 and gab6511

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What the actual f*** man this team just can’t have anything nice. This is so thoroughly dissappointing.

Oct 10, 2010
Feels like we are never going to win honestly.

Seems like everything is falling apart obviously on the ice but now off it as well apparently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad