Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Campbell is a bit of a head case, he’s too emotional over wins and losses.
I'm not advocating for it, but it is interesting to glance at their numbers. Deeper dives may tell a different story, but Jack Campbell had never had a sub .900 save % in 5 seasons prior to being in Edmonton where he just completely fell apart. He appeared to actually earn his contract with consistency unlike Korpisalo getting it more off the latest season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Goaltending was a big question mark, Forsberg was coming off a serious injury, and Korpisalo while coming off a career year has never consistently shown he could be a good starter.

There's no mystery despite Garrioch suggesting otherwise, Korpisalo hasn't pickup where he left off in LA because last year was a career outlier.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does a Campbell for Korpisalo deal with Edmonton work? Edmonton would save on Korp because Campbell is buried anyway. The buyout on Campbell might be better for Ottawa?
I'd do it, idk if EDM likes the idea of adding an extra year to their dead cap space but if they plan on buying him out, they may prefer Korpisalo's deal.

Reactions: Loach

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Does a Campbell for Korpisalo deal with Edmonton work? Edmonton would save on Korp because Campbell is buried anyway. The buyout on Campbell might be better for Ottawa?

The buyout on Campbell is neither better or worse. It comes down to the situation each team is in. Both buyouts have a similar amount of dead cap (10.5M Campbell, 10.66M Korpisalo).

The advantage of a Korpisalo buyout is that there is almost no money on the books in the first 2 seasons. A team that is tight to the cap would benefit from that.

A Campbell buyout has a higher average cap hit per season, but it is only 6 seasons long. If we want to buyout Korpisalo and we're officially in a longer retool, we might prefer the Campbell buyout because it would be off the books 2 seasons sooner.

I think in that scenario, Edmonton would have to include a sweetener because going from 3.85M of dead cap (Campbell buried) down to 333k next year would be extremely valuable given how important it is for them to compete over the next 2-3 years when McDavid and Draisaitl are still cost controlled at their current cap hits.

Reactions: Loach

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Goaltending was a big question mark, Forsberg was coming off a serious injury, and Korpisalo while coming off a career year has never consistently shown he could be a good starter.

There's no mystery despite Garrioch suggesting otherwise, Korpisalo hasn't pickup where he left off in LA because last year was a career outlier.
Ya, this quote doesn't seem accurate.

"It was viewed as a position of strength in camp with the Senators hoping to make the playoffs for the first time in seven years."

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think in that scenario, Edmonton would have to include a sweetener because going from 3.85M of dead cap (Campbell buried) down to 333k next year would be extremely valuable given how important it is for them to compete over the next 2-3 years when McDavid and Draisaitl are still cost controlled at their current cap hits.
Why would they go from 3.85 to 333 k? If they are buying out Korpisalo, they'd be willing to buy out Campbell, so it would be 1.1m vs 333k

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Scrub a dub dub, we clean out the shit this off-season - which is Korpisalo. Can't have a shitty goalie under contract for 4 more years. Go away.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Assuming both goalies continue to suck for the rest of the year and one doesn't look significantly better than the other, does it not make more sense for us to buyout Forsberg given his buyout would only be on the books for 2 years, as opposed to buying out Korpisalo and having his on the books for 8 years?

I'd rather keep Korpisalo an extra year and hope he rebounds, since historically he's been extremely inconsistent on a year-to-year basis, and then try to sucker some team into taking him off our hands.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Assuming both goalies continue to suck for the rest of the year and one doesn't look significantly better than the other, does it not make more sense for us to buyout Forsberg given his buyout would only be on the books for 2 years, as opposed to buying out Korpisalo and having his on the books for 8 years?

I'd rather keep Korpisalo an extra year and hope he rebounds, since historically he's been extremely inconsistent on a year-to-year basis, and then try to sucker some team into taking him off our hands.
1st bolded probably depends entirely on your confidence this is a possibility. The 2nd bolded is debatable imo and affects my opinion on the former. He had a good rookie season, a good one last year, but 2019-20 looks like the only one in between worth pointing at as a success. Sub .900 in 4 of 5 prior to last year.

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
Let me start off by saying that I’m a BIG Josh Norris fan and could see him turn his game around and become a perennial 40G guy. Giving up on that possibility is a difficult decision to make, but using his cap hit to free up space needed to address other areas of major concern have left me wondering if this trade idea would be possible…. and would you pull the trigger on it?

To Nashville:
Josh Norris
Röby Jarventie
Egor Sokolov
Travis Hamonic
2024 1st (Boston)

To Ottawa:
Juuse Saros
Jérémy Lauzon (left shooting RD with size/speed/grit @ 2M)

• Haha
Reactions: NB613

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Let me start off by saying that I’m a BIG Josh Norris fan and could see him turn his game around and become a perennial 40G guy. Giving up on that possibility is a difficult decision to make, but using his cap hit to free up space needed to address other areas of major concern have left me wondering if this trade idea would be possible…. and would you pull the trigger on it?

To Nashville:
Josh Norris
Röby Jarventie
Egor Sokolov
Travis Hamonic
2024 1st (Boston)

To Ottawa:
Juuse Saros
Jérémy Lauzon (left shooting RD with size/speed/grit @ 2M)

I’d think long and hard.
If it came with a Saros extension I’d do it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Rebounds to what exactly?

What does an average Korpisalo year look like?

Of his 9 seasons, only three have had a quality start % over .500, for reference, .530 would be league average, and one of the three was .533, so 6 out of 9 years he's been below average, one year average and two good years. He's also never played 41 games in a season, so no full starter workload

He just isn't very good, we need to get away from him ASAP, trade him for Campbell and hope for an Anderson style miracle is my solution but a buyout is the next best option.

Keeping him around should be a non starter, I can't imagine anyone on the roster being confident with him behind them.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Rebounds to what exactly?

What does an average Korpisalo year look like?

Of his 9 seasons, only three have had a quality start % over .500, for reference, .530 would be league average, and one of the three was .533, so 6 out of 9 years he's been below average, one year average and two good years. He's also never played 41 games in a season, so no full starter workload

He just isn't very good, we need to get away from him ASAP, trade him for Campbell and hope for an Anderson style miracle is my solution but a buyout is the next best option.

Keeping him around should be a non starter, I can't imagine anyone on the roster being confident with him behind them.

He was really good last year. .913 SV% on a bottom feeding CBJ team when every other goalie who played more than 1 game had an .892 SV% or lower.

He's been capable of putting together stretches of really good goaltending, but he's also had stretches where he's lost his team a lot of games.

The key with a hot/cold goaltender like him is to have an alternative that can be counted on to provide consistent goaltending. Someone like Reimer

Instead we have Forsberg who has also crapped the bed this year and wasn't great last year either.

I'd rather we keep him one more year and buyout Forsberg. If he proves his inconsistency and rebounds, great. If he continues to suck we can just staple his ass to the bench and then buy him out the following summer and "only" have 6 years of his buyout cap hit on the books instead of 8.

Reactions: GCK

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Saros may be a target for us, so let's look at his Goals Saved Above Expected...

16-17: 4.9
17-18: 15.05
18-19: 4.18
19-20: 1.19
20-21: 7.75
21-22: 12.6
22-23: 45.49
23-24: 6.47

I am very skeptical of goalies, but GM SS should be seriously inquiring about the asking price. Seeing eight straight years of solid to great goaltending is pretty rare.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was really good last year. .913 SV% on a bottom feeding CBJ team when every other goalie who played more than 1 game had an .892 SV% or lower.

He's been capable of putting together stretches of really good goaltending, but he's also had stretches where he's lost his team a lot of games.

The key with a hot/cold goaltender like him is to have an alternative that can be counted on to provide consistent goaltending. Someone like Reimer

Instead we have Forsberg who has also crapped the bed this year and wasn't great last year either.

I'd rather we keep him one more year and buyout Forsberg. If he proves his inconsistency and rebounds, great. If he continues to suck we can just staple his ass to the bench and then buy him out the following summer and "only" have 6 years of his buyout cap hit on the books instead of 8.
He was really good one year, you know who else was really good one year, Forsberg, he had a .917 on a bottom feeding Ottawa team and actually played a starters load.

6 out of 9 seasons he has been well below average, an alternative goalie doesn't make him good, like I said, he's never once in his career played a starters load,

We need to run as fast as we can from this contract, flip him for Campbell if we can, EDM gets a lower cap hit this year, and a lower buyout cap hit for 6 years, we get a chance at a reclamation where a change of scenery could actually work, but if not, the buyout is two years shorter

There is no logic to going with Korpisalo over Forsberg I can see,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad