Friedman: Flames trying to acquire a first round pick

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Mtl might be desperate for a center. They might trade their 1st, but not if they win the lottery.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And Vancouver has a good chance of drafting Dahlin.
Not exactly sure what you are saying here...my point is that Dahlin is being hyped as the best Dman prospect since- Ekblad, maybe?, if not better. Certainly more hype than Jones had. Don't see how any team won't keep him over Tkachuk.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Not exactly sure what you are saying here...my point is that Dahlin is being hyped as the best Dman prospect since- Ekblad, maybe?, if not better. Certainly more hype than Jones had. Don't see how any team won't keep him over Tkachuk.

Dahlin’s hype blows Ekblad’s hype out of the waters. No one had Ekblad pegged as possibly being generational.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yes Marner and a 1st is likely fair value for Hamilton.

As much as I would rather move one of the other guys I would consider that deal.

And I assume that you just forgot to type in Marners name because insinuating that Hamilton for a 1st is his value is pretty pathetic even for a Leafs fan.
Ah yes, that typical HF moment were one joke is compounded by a much more unrealistic other joke.:thumbu:

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Flames were on such a roll earlier in the year. I never would have thought the Hamonic trade would blow up like this. Not sure why/who they would target with a 1st in this draft. Maybe fire the coach? Gulutzan isn't a very good coach and seems like he does his best motivating on TSN clips of their practices. Players aren't motivated to play for him.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Flames were on such a roll earlier in the year. I never would have thought the Hamonic trade would blow up like this. Not sure why/who they would target with a 1st in this draft. Maybe fire the coach? Gulutzan isn't a very good coach and seems like he does his best motivating on TSN clips of their practices. Players aren't motivated to play for him.

That's becoming a convenient scapegoat for a lot of teams. Good or bad coach, a coach cannot play for you. It's a poorly assembled team. There's no depth.
Hamonic hasn't had good years in a while. He has bee on the decline for a bit.
Brouwer is borderline trash
Bennett hasn't panned out as they had hoped
Backlund is overrated. Apparently,
he's really good defensively but his number states otherwise. He is capped out on his production and what he can become as a player
Lazar, Versteeg, Stajan, Stewart
oh yeah, Mike Smith. A drama queen who has his moments of hot and cold

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
How the hell does Larsson return Hall, but Brodie can only return a low 1st and a prospect?
Yah you can say Chiarelli is an idiot, but that's fair market value for a top4 defenseman. Defenceman who play 20mins+ a night are a sought after commodity and GM's will overpay for them.

Brodie, if traded, will return a top6 forward at the very least or a top15 pick + A-prospect.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Flames can do 3 things to get a 1st round pick back:

1) See if there are any takers on Fox --> He is unsigned, and has decided to go back to Harvard for his last year. But honestly, who wouldn't finish their last year in Harvard? Furthermore, I think Adam Fox is more than willing to sign with an American team. Since he is unsigned, I think a pick in the 25-35 range would suffice if a team wants to take that risk on a defenseman who looks like he is going to be an absolute pro. It's unfortunate that he most likely won't sign with Calgary (there is still hope), but we did select him 3rd round in the 2016 draft so it's not entirely bad. The team that gets this guy, assuming we trade him, is not going to regret it. I know he'll be in your top 4 soon.

2) Trade Ferland --> Love the guy, but if there is anyone that probably has peaked value, it's this guy. Can play LW/RW on any line. He was an absolute beast in the 2015 playoffs against Vancouver in a bottom 6 role, and also has played rather well on the top line in Calgary as the RW stopgap for the time being. Has a pretty nasty shot, big body, can hit, he can do it all. Obviously is not a driver, he's a passenger that can really compliment anyone that he plays with. I think the only problem with him is inconsistency. This guy could fetch a 1st rounder (and nothing else) in the 20-30 range, basically for a team that would rather take a flier on a player of Ferland's caliber for a year to see if he can really pan out well to earn himself a better contract. Currently has 1 year left with a value of 1.750m. Pretty easy to fit that within any cap-structured team.

3) Trade Brodie --> If we are looking to really retool and think we have a chance at signing another decent LHD, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Brodie. I really think that this guy just simply did not have a good year. He's usually above average, but this year he has not played well at all. If he were to switch teams and played as their #2/#3, I think he would excel, especially on the right side where he played his best hockey. This guy could fetch a mid round 1st and a B+/A- prospect in my opinion. 2 years left at 4.65m is a dang good contract for someone of Brodie's caliber. Plays above average defensively, and you can expect him to rack up .5PPG.

If I were the GM of the Flames, I would be looking for a 1st in this order. Chicago could definitely give us Nashville's 1st for Fox, or the Flyers could even shell out one of their 1st round picks for a LW like Ferland. The Islanders could very well hand us back our 1st round pick and Ho-Sang for Brodie, because I believe that they are a team that is just a defenseman and goalie away from being really good.

These are just my ideas. I don't think the Flames have to trade Bennett for a low 1st, high 2nd with the risk of him finding his game on another team, or even trade Tkachuk/Gaudreau/Monahan/Hamilton for some quantity + picks. I think with one of these three options we can find ourselves back in the 1st round.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

1) See if there are any takers on Fox --> He is unsigned, and has decided to go back to Harvard for his last year. But honestly, who wouldn't finish their last year in Harvard? Furthermore, I think Adam Fox is more than willing to sign with an American team. Since he is unsigned, I think a pick in the 25-35 range would suffice if a team wants to take that risk on a defenseman who looks like he is going to be an absolute pro. It's unfortunate that he most likely won't sign with Calgary (there is still hope), but we did select him 3rd round in the 2016 draft so it's not entirely bad. The team that gets this guy, assuming we trade him, is not going to regret it. I know he'll be in your top 4 soon.

2) Trade Ferland --> Love the guy, but if there is anyone that probably has peaked value, it's this guy. Can play LW/RW on any line. He was an absolute beast in the 2015 playoffs against Vancouver in a bottom 6 role, and also has played rather well on the top line in Calgary as the RW stopgap for the time being. Has a pretty nasty shot, big body, can hit, he can do it all. Obviously is not a driver, he's a passenger that can really compliment anyone that he plays with. I think the only problem with him is inconsistency. This guy could fetch a 1st rounder (and nothing else) in the 20-30 range, basically for a team that would rather take a flier on a player of Ferland's caliber for a year to see if he can really pan out well to earn himself a better contract. Currently has 1 year left with a value of 1.750m. Pretty easy to fit that within any cap-structured team.

3) Trade Brodie --> If we are looking to really retool and think we have a chance at signing another decent LHD, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Brodie. I really think that this guy just simply did not have a good year. He's usually above average, but this year he has not played well at all. If he were to switch teams and played as their #2/#3, I think he would excel, especially on the right side where he played his best hockey. This guy could fetch a mid round 1st and a B+/A- prospect in my opinion. 2 years left at 4.65m is a dang good contract for someone of Brodie's caliber. Plays above average defensively, and you can expect him to rack up .5PPG.

If I were the GM of the Flames, I would be looking for a 1st in this order. Chicago could definitely give us Nashville's 1st for Fox, or the Flyers could even shell out one of their 1st round picks for a LW like Ferland. The Islanders could very well hand us back our 1st round pick and Ho-Sang for Brodie, because I believe that they are a team that is just a defenseman and goalie away from being really good.

These are just my ideas. I don't think the Flames have to trade Bennett for a low 1st, high 2nd with the risk of him finding his game on another team, or even trade Tkachuk/Gaudreau/Monahan/Hamilton for some quantity + picks. I think with one of these three options we can find ourselves back in the 1st round.

I don't see any of the above landing a 2018 1st - before the draft... at best a 2019 1st after FA has ended and teams have no other options. The above players aren't in high demand.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
3) Trade Brodie --> . I really think that this guy just simply did not have a good year.

The Islanders could very well hand us back our 1st round pick and Ho-Sang for Brodie, because I believe that they are a team that is just a defenseman and goalie away from being really good.

According to Flame posters Brodie had played like s*** for the past 1-2 seasons and is not too far away from becoming s ufa.
Yet you you think he lands a top 9-12 pick + a 22 yr old JHS who has shown he can put up points at the nhl level?
Milbury is no longer the nyi GM.
Look elsewhere to palm a struggling Brodie off at a high price.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
As a flyers fan I'd give up our 1st (say around 15) and Myers for Tkachuk. Probably an overpayment but that would let us deal Simmonds and still have that net front presence we need.

Am I really far off?

Yes. Really off. Tkachuk will be a standout from a loaded draft year. He got injured and the flames crumpled .

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Good luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad