Friedman: Flames trying to acquire a first round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He would be worth a lot more than that.
Probably. I was just being facetious.
That being said, there is no chance I'd pay more than that. I don't think he brings enough to warrant the price Calgary paid for him. That might change going forward, though.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
If I was the Leafs I'd have their 2018 1st on the table for Rasmus Andersson+ (the + being something minor or conditional). I'll probably got pretty shredded for this (on both sides), but it's a player I really like that is cheap, has growth to his game, and fills an obvious need.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
unless you believe what they paid for lazar was an overpayment. which everybody does.
I knew it was an overpayment when it was rumored that was the ask, but guess what, that happens in many trades because GMs overpay quite often.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Zuc/TB 1st/Gilmour for Bennett/Andersson
Awful. Gilmour is a bust. Players like Zuc can easily be acquired for free as FAs. Zuc has no value outside is deadline deal, dependent on next year's performance.

So the trade is basically two good prospects for the potentially 30th overall.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Curtis Lazar, who at the time had 1 assist in 33 games, was traded for a 2nd round pick. Yet Bennett, who is only two years removed from an 18 goal rookie season, couldn't land even a late 1st? I don't buy it.

Bennett's still young enough and isn't far enough removed from his draft position or rookie season, that NHL teams likely still see upside in him.

IMO, Bennett's still got Nazem Kadri-like potential. Keep in mind Kadri didn't reach his current level until he was 26 years old AND played for a good coach. Gulutzan doesn't exactly fit the description of someone that gets the best out of all his players.
Maybe Calgary overpaid for Lazar. He was rumored to be available for a long time.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Think Gio or Brodie for a 1st could happen. The Flames are still good on defense that they can afford to lose a defenseman like Gio or Brodie.
It won't be Gio. He makes everyone he plays with look better. They can't afford to have Hamilton out there without Gio, he looks like twice the player with Giordano as opposed to anyone else.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
As a Oilers fan and I might be in the Minority, but I would offer the Oilers 1st(~8th overall) before the draft lotto for Hamilton. Calgary then has chance to win lotto and move up.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Still makes me shake head that Calgary trade for and gave up so much for Hamonic, he is exactly the dman they did not need at all. They should have Upgraded there RW.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If I was the Leafs I'd have their 2018 1st on the table for Rasmus Andersson+ (the + being something minor or conditional). I'll probably got pretty shredded for this (on both sides), but it's a player I really like that is cheap, has growth to his game, and fills an obvious need.

I can't see how that deal makes any sense for Calgary.

The chances you get a better player than Andersson with that pick is pretty small and they need a guy like Andersson to play with the current team on a cheap deal or to upgrade their holes upfront.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Awful. Gilmour is a bust. Players like Zuc can easily be acquired for free as FAs. Zuc has no value outside is deadline deal, dependent on next year's performance.

So the trade is basically two good prospects for the potentially 30th overall.
Are you thinking of Zuccarello because if so you are massively underestimating him.

It won't be Gio. He makes everyone he plays with look better. They can't afford to have Hamilton out there without Gio, he looks like twice the player with Giordano as opposed to anyone else.

They're D partners... why would we not play our best RD on the first pair?

I think they play together because they are an elite first pairing, but that's just me.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
As a Oilers fan and I might be in the Minority, but I would offer the Oilers 1st(~8th overall) before the draft lotto for Hamilton. Calgary then has chance to win lotto and move up.
Flames are not going to trade their best defenseman to their arch rival for chance to move up in the draft.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Gio is your best dman, by a lot. Would only want Hamilton for his Offence as his Defence and butter soft play is pretty underwhelming.
How would a butter soft defenseman help the Oilers? :laugh:

I should have said best offensive defenseman, my b.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad