Friedman: Flames trying to acquire a first round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Isles have a glut of young, offensive blueliners with Pulock,Toews and Quenneville leading the way . Not sure how interested the nyi would be in gambling a high first on Fox, who sounds like he is shying away from Calgary because he is blocked.
There is absolutely zero evidence that Fox is "shying away from Calgary", it's just the same paranoid idiots that thought Gaudreau and Jankowski would not sign too.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
You're right, 21 year old 4th overall picks who are fast and tenacious would never be something a GM might give up a 1st round pick for. You may not think he's worth it, and HFBoards may not. Hell, 29 GMs might agree. But all it takes is one guy to think "this kid could be greta with a change of scenery; we can fix him."
He had 36 points his rookie year at 18, which is fine, but is now going to be sub-30 points in back to back years and he didn't have any injury setbacks in either of those years. He just isn't that good and there is no reason that a GM would give up a 1st round pick for him rather than use that to draft a player with more potential to be a better NHL player. Do your gymnastics all you want but he isn't worth a 1st, not even a late one.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You're right, 21 year old 4th overall picks who are fast and tenacious would never be something a GM might give up a 1st round pick for. You may not think he's worth it, and HFBoards may not. Hell, 29 GMs might agree. But all it takes is one guy to think "this kid could be greta with a change of scenery; we can fix him."
This post feels way too much like the Oilers board circa 2016.

Reactions: TS Quint

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
There is absolutely zero evidence that Fox is "shying away from Calgary", it's just the same paranoid idiots that thought Gaudreau and Jankowski would not sign too.
Isles fans were climbing out on the ledge several years ago over Anders Lee ,when he choose to return for his final yr of college.

As for a potential Fox trade...I guess it would come down to whether the NYI scouts viewed Fox as an upgrade on the isles blueline prospects.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Send us Tkachuk, and we give you Vancouver 1st.

MT is worth more than a 1st now unfortunately.

However - here’s an idea that I have, and it’s usually “ideas” like this if mine that leads me to having a bad rep on here. Ah well.

Vancouver needs: a RHD dman.
Calgary wants: a 1st

Now obviously - if the Canucks do well in the lottery and end up with the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall, then the Flames can bugger off.

A 4th overall however.......I’m not sure. Maybe there’s a deal there to be made? Boqvist will likely need another year in juniors and is far from being “a lock” given his defensive play. Bouchard and Hughes are LHD’s.

I probably still wouldn’t make this move as a Canucks fan, but our right side defense still concerns me greatly. As it stands right now, if Demko gets promoted to the bigs and we DONT win the Dahlin sweepstakes, we are basically throwing Demko to the wolves.

Trading our 1st (non top 3 pick) for Hamilton may not be ideal, but Benning might not have a choice here given the gravity of the situation (horribly weak defense particularly on the right side).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
This might sound insane, but if Canucks win the lottery I'd easily give up Tkachuk and more. Size and nastiness is overrated, especially if you can get Dahlin.

This is actually quite interesting.

As depressing as it would be to give up the first overall (and a perceived generational talent), it would be interesting to see what offers the lottery winning team would get.

I love Matthew Tkachuk by the way. If the Flames were willing to offer Tkachuk+ for Dahlin, I’d be willing to listen. Depends on what the ‘plus’ is obviously. As depressing as it would be to give up the 1st overall, I am reminded of the Lindros/Forsberg deal from all those years back.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I remember when the Burke, the smartest person in the universe, traded 2 firsts and second for Kessel, I thought that was too much and unneeded. Now that Hamonic trade might even be worse, especially if the lottery balls fall wrong.
Would love to the faces of the Calgary braintrust when their pick comes up in the draft and is passed to the Isles. Hey I have sympathy for Calgary fans, but when the owners and management who can't do their job. That's sad for the fans who invest their time and money into their team.
Calgary should just suck it up and forget about the picks. Could this management team make a good trade?

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
The Flames are not moving Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, or Hamilton. They are almost certainly not moving Andersson or Valimaki. They will more than likely move Brodie for the 1st.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think Gio or Brodie for a 1st could happen. The Flames are still good on defense that they can afford to lose a defenseman like Gio or Brodie.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Brodie for a 1st is a deal I could see happening. They aren't trading Hamilton after giving up a 1st + for him to then 3 years later get back a similar return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad