Friedman: Flames trying to acquire a first round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That would be an incredibly stupid idea on their part, since he's the perfect age to take Stone's place like right now. I'd rather see them get an underwhelming return for Stone than trade Andersson.
I'm pointing out literally the only move that I can think of that would get the Flames a first in this draft. The logic kind of alludes me though considering the talent level is kind of hit and miss beyond the top ten.

The Rangers drafted Rasmus' brother though so I'm sure they've had their eyes on him for some time. They have three picks in the first round. Put two and two together and it fits the criteria.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Fine send us Hamilton

Yes Marner and a 1st is likely fair value for Hamilton.

As much as I would rather move one of the other guys I would consider that deal.

And I assume that you just forgot to type in Marners name because insinuating that Hamilton for a 1st is his value is pretty pathetic even for a Leafs fan.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm pointing out literally the only move that I can think of that would get the Flames a first in this draft. The logic kind of alludes me though considering the talent level is kind of hit and miss beyond the top ten.

The Rangers drafted Rasmus' brother though so I'm sure they've had their eyes on him for some time. They have three picks in the first round. Put two and two together and it fits the criteria.
True, it does make some sense value-wise. Ras has been extremely good in the AHL, though, and even a mid-1st doesn't seem like enough.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
That would be a not great idea on their part, since he's the perfect age to take Stone's place like right now. I'd rather see them get an underwhelming return for Stone than trade Andersson.

If the Flames are going to trade someone for picks, I would hope it'd be Stone (I know he won't get a first) or Bennett. I do think Bennett could get a mid/low first; he's still young, he's got pedigree, and he has a lot of traits that hockey people like.
Sam Bennett absolutely does not get a 1st round pick

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What players on their current roster do they have that would attract at least a 1st, and don't have full NTCs?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, Hamonic, Hamilton, and Brodie?

First three probably aren't being moved I'd imagine. I'd be surprised to see Hamonic moved on from so soon, and maybe with his subpar performance so far in CGY, now isn't the time to move him.

That leaves Bennett, Hamilton, Brodie.

If I had to make a prediction, CGY cuts bait on Bennett. He's a year away from arbitration, and he's yet to come close to reaching his potential. People might fall for the Yakupov line of thinking that "CGY shouldn't trade Bennett because they'd be selling low on him", but it's not selling low when you're selling a depreciating asset. Odds are, Bennett will be worth less at the 2019 draft than he will be worth at the 2018 draft and so on....

Reactions: TS Quint

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What players on their current roster do they have that would attract at least a 1st, and don't have full NTCs?

First three probably aren't being moved I'd imagine. I'd be surprised to see Hamonic moved on from so soon, and maybe with his subpar performance so far in CGY, now isn't the time to move him.

That leaves Bennett, Hamilton, Brodie.

If I had to make a prediction, CGY cuts bait on Bennett. He's a year away from arbitration, and he's yet to come close to reaching his potential. People might fall for the Yakupov line of thinking that "CGY shouldn't trade Bennett because they'd be selling low on him", but it's not selling low when you're selling a depreciating asset. Odds are, Bennett will be worth less at the 2019 draft than he will be worth at the 2018 draft and so on....

I don't think Bennett would attract at least a 1st.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Well duh, Mr. Friedman. They're going to be quite desperate to try to get a 1st rounder; that should be very obvious.

Hamonic for a 1st and two 2nds? ;)
(not from my team; rhetorically)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If Hartman+5th can return a late 1st and 4th I think Bennett might be able to? Bennett can play C (how effective not sure I beleive most his points come at wing), is a year younger and have similar point totals prior to being traded.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Are you hinting at Benning?

I am not hinting at any particular GM.

All it takes is one GM who likes the price to make a trade happen. I think there'll be one GM/organization out there who likes Bennett enough to gamble on him with a late 1st type pick rather than gamble on the type of prospect they'd get at that point in the draft. I don't know who specifically.....

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I am not hinting at any particular GM.

All it takes is one GM who likes the price to make a trade happen. I think there'll be one GM/organization out there who likes Bennett enough to gamble on him with a late 1st type pick rather than gamble on the type of prospect they'd get at that point in the draft. I don't know who specifically.....

Oh, okay, but I think Benning might take him, considering his poor GM moves.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Why does it have to be a 1 for 1 deal?

It also said they are looking to make a big change after the season so maybe they want a first included in a bigger deal they are looking at making.

If it were a 1 player for a 1st I think the obvious choice based on value and availability would be Brodie.

It isn't ideal because he is a LHS and our prospects are all RHS, as well as Stone who would be a candidate to replace him, but the other 3 guys are worth more than a 1st so I don't see moving them and we need more forwards not less forwards so don't see any of the forwards moving unless there is a big trade before that that makes a guy like Backlund expendable.

Reactions: TS Quint

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
As a flyers fan I'd give up our 1st (say around 15) and Myers for Tkachuk. Probably an overpayment but that would let us deal Simmonds and still have that net front presence we need.

Am I really far off?

What the hell? That’s way off. Try Konecny+.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Why does it have to be a 1 for 1 deal?

It also said they are looking to make a big change after the season so maybe they want a first included in a bigger deal they are looking at making.

If it were a 1 player for a 1st I think the obvious choice based on value and availability would be Brodie.

It isn't ideal because he is a LHS and our prospects are all RHS, as well as Stone who would be a candidate to replace him, but the other 3 guys are worth more than a 1st so I don't see moving them and we need more forwards not less forwards so don't see any of the forwards moving unless there is a big trade before that that makes a guy like Backlund expendable.

Re-read my post, I never suggested each and every one of those players would be candidates to be traded one for one for a 1st round pick...I was listing out their players without full NTCs that I felt were worth "at least a 1st round pick" in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad