Friedman: Flames trying to acquire a first round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
They should shop Brodie to see what kind of return they could get, IMO. He has holes in his defensive game, but has a good offensive game and many teams will highly value that. Should theoretically get a better return than Hamonic, but always depends on the market, of course.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Re-read my post, I never suggested each and every one of those players would be candidates to be traded one for one for a 1st round pick...I was listing out their players without full NTCs that I felt were worth "at least a 1st round pick" in a trade.

i read your post and was just pointing out that it didn't have to be a 1 for 1 trade. You seemed focused on that aspect and I was pointing out there was another option.

If that wasn't what you meant then sorry I was trying to criticize you just bringing out another option for them to get the pick.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He’s one of the best prospects in the league. Don’t cur what HF thinks. Guy is a star in the making.

I think he's a great prospect for sure. But you have to take into account that he was on a very stacked team last season. This season he's still put up good production, though, without much drop off. It's possible he could get a pick in the 20-30 range, but because of his lack of size and what I already mentioned I'm not sure you'd get a lottery pick, but I could be wrong. Just my 2 cents. Great prospect for sure, with a lot of potential.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Sam Bennett absolutely does not get a 1st round pick
You're right, 21 year old 4th overall picks who are fast and tenacious would never be something a GM might give up a 1st round pick for. You may not think he's worth it, and HFBoards may not. Hell, 29 GMs might agree. But all it takes is one guy to think "this kid could be greta with a change of scenery; we can fix him."

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
It's Treliving. He'd be looking to add a first even if they already had 2. We've seen this every single year before the draft, he always looks into it

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think he's a great prospect for sure. But you have to take into account that he was on a very stacked team last season. This season he's still put up good production, though, without much drop off. It's possible he could get a pick in the 20-30 range, but because of his lack of size and what I already mentioned I'm not sure you'd get a lottery pick, but I could be wrong. Just my 2 cents. Great prospect for sure, with a lot of potential.
Regardless if the Isles win the lottery or not with one of the 1sts they have, I wouldn’t mind trading them Adam Fox for the higher 1st. Even if we won the lottery, we can at least say that the Isles won it with theirs and we keep the other pick. Would definitely change things a little. Besides, I believe Fox was born in the state of New York.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
since calgary doesn't have a 3rd this year also, we'll give you a 3rd for Bennett. We're going to Benjamin Button him and help him regain is 18 yr old self again.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Regardless if the Isles win the lottery or not with one of the 1sts they have, I wouldn’t mind trading them Adam Fox for the higher 1st. Even if we won the lottery, we can at least say that the Isles won it with theirs and we keep the other pick. Would definitely change things a little. Besides, I believe Fox was born in the state of New York.

The Isles need help on D, so maybe they consider. Unless they are eyeballing certain D prospects that they value more in this draft. So it's hard to say. I personally doubt it, but I wouldn't say it's not possible.

And yep, he's from the state of NY, so that might play into things a bit.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Who would they give up? If they want a high draft pick they'd have to give one of their top players, something I don't see them doing. Unless they finish really bad and then maybe prospects and their 2nd round pick? Why not just wait for the 2nd round?
I could see someone giving up a late first for T.J. Brodie.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
You're right, 21 year old 4th overall picks who are fast and tenacious would never be something a GM might give up a 1st round pick for. You may not think he's worth it, and HFBoards may not. Hell, 29 GMs might agree. But all it takes is one guy to think "this kid could be greta with a change of scenery; we can fix him."

image.jpg

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
since calgary doesn't have a 3rd this year also, we'll give you a 3rd for Bennett. We're going to Benjamin Button him and help him regain is 18 yr old self again.
If you're gonna Benjamin Button him to 18 yo Sam Bennett we refuse to trade him unless it's for 4th overall.

Reactions: vcanuck

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Curtis Lazar, who at the time had 1 assist in 33 games, was traded for a 2nd round pick. Yet Bennett, who is only two years removed from an 18 goal rookie season, couldn't land even a late 1st? I don't buy it.

Bennett's still young enough and isn't far enough removed from his draft position or rookie season, that NHL teams likely still see upside in him.

IMO, Bennett's still got Nazem Kadri-like potential. Keep in mind Kadri didn't reach his current level until he was 26 years old AND played for a good coach. Gulutzan doesn't exactly fit the description of someone that gets the best out of all his players.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Curtis Lazar, who at the time had 1 assist in 33 games, was traded for a 2nd round pick. Yet Bennett, who is only two years removed from an 18 goal rookie season, couldn't land even a late 1st? I don't buy it.

Bennett's still young enough and isn't far enough removed from his draft position or rookie season, that NHL teams likely still see upside in him.

IMO, Bennett's still got Nazem Kadri-like potential. Keep in mind Kadri didn't reach his current level until he was 26 years old AND played for a good coach. Gulutzan doesn't exactly fit the description of someone that gets the best out of all his players.

not everyone is Treleving. he gave up a 1st and 3 2nds for Hamonic and Lazar. lol

Reactions: Tripod and Bozle

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles have a glut of young, offensive blueliners with Pulock,Toews and Quenneville leading the way . Not sure how interested the nyi would be in gambling a high first on Fox, who sounds like he is shying away from Calgary because he is blocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad