The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
I think Washington definitely did go from pushover to another team we'll have to compete with for a playoff spot. They just don't really have a shot at making a real run if they get in the next couple years
Their summer reminded me a lot of the Pens summer last year.

They made a ton of moves, but just feels like such an oddly constructed roster. No real identity. Just a bunch of random players with some being headaches.

I think they miss this year. Talented group on paper, but chemistry will be off. Just like the Pens.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Detroit got worse

It's been funny reading comments like this about the Sens/Wings for the last 3 years on this board just to have them miss the playoffs.
Didn't they finish better than us?

Its funny reading comments like this that people think we improved better than Detroit.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021

Its funny reading comments like this that people think we improved better than Detroit.
They were 7 points ahead of us last season. We were 11 points ahead of them the year before that. Still very close in the standings.

Still Detroit got worse this summer.

Lost: Shayne Gostisbehere, Jake Walman, David Perron, Daniel Sprong, Robby Fabbri, James Reimer
Gained: Vladimir Tarasenko, Erik Gustafsson, Tyler Motte, Cam Talbot

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Cozens is a player that will excel in structure. He is the 2C. Mitts long term was always the 3C. Yes we have not replaced Mitts.

Ryan Johnson was our third best defensemen last year.
Cozens might as well be a power winger and Mitts was the top C not 3C since the end of 22/23 until he got traded.
You lose a lot of flexibility if injury occurs.
With no further additions you have the 2 guys as the top C that struggled mightily last season.
Adams seems to stick to a plan he probably layed out before last season started that TT & Cozens are gonna be 1/2 and he is not gonna divert no matter what the on ice result.
It seems to fit the picture of a GM who is unable to adapt to changes, like not adding anything worth of value at the TDL when we missed the playoffs by 1 point adding a head scratcher in Stillman because its a development season.
Adding nothing significant last off season to improve the roster banking on youth improving again without any regression jettison another season because he is not a proactive GM.
Granato should have been replaced in December lighting a fire under the asses of a to complacent culture without snx accountability and gifted spots too youth like something he is gonna try with Krebs as 3C.
His moveing Mitts would have made more sense would his core have performed as expected but they all failed for various reasons and he traded the only guy who showed up and the only guy who actually showed he can play a winning type of hockey consistently, a type of player that delivers also in the playoffs.
TT has to show he can adapt his game like top centers do, it seems at the end of 22/23 the league haf figured him out.
Its a show me season for him.

Bryam is a top prospect, would have been a good addition for any team that hasnt already 2 guys ahead of him that do the same things but much better heck at least get a guy if it has to be that type that has the same exp as Mitts not getting younger again.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I would like to see something like that. I think Matty can surprise in camp and preseason games. Benson could be the second line and Zucker the third, but that's my bet for now. Benson and Matty also have good chemistry.

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
Zucker - Cozens - Quinn
Benson - Savoie - Greenway
Malenstyn - Lafferty - NAK

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Clifton
Samuelsson - Jokiharju

Scratch:

Gilbert
Krebs
Rousek

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
They were extremely lucky last season and we were quite unlucky. They're not a good team, significantly worse than us if we can get our powerplay to even baseline competence.

If you are measuring by goals above expected, Detroit was very lucky and we were above average (around 10th)

Detroit has decent forward depth (i like their bottom 9 better than ours). Their defense is pretty underwhelming after Seider though. They need Edvinsson to take a step.

both are around .500-ish teams that can improve.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If you are measuring by goals above expected, Detroit was very lucky and we were above average (around 10th)

Detroit has decent forward depth (i like their bottom 9 better than ours). Their defense is pretty underwhelming after Seider though. They need Edvinsson to take a step.

both are around .500-ish teams that can improve.
Seider is Risto 2.0 and they're gonna give him 8+ million this summer. Couldn't be less worried about that team.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
They were extremely lucky last season and we were quite unlucky. They're not a good team, significantly worse than us if we can get our powerplay to even baseline competence.
I see. So luck decides games not skill. I didn't know that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

detroit and ottawa did pushed thus offseasons.

Ullmark isnt going to help behind that teams defense system. If they change under the new coach likely sacrifices goals scored

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
While I personally think we are done (I dont think we sign Zucker if we are adding another forward)

In thinking about the offseason so far and what they've actually done.

- The Skinner buyout was 100% about budget above everything else. Ruff likely didn't like what he saw, but Skinner was probably staying if the Sabres were going to spend to the cap. They decided to buy him out so they could add a different forward. With the budget from the Pegulas, they likely couldn't have added one otherwise.

- Adams thought he could be more aggressive but doesn't have the stomach for the price or simply is a not great at his job. His inability to bring in talent that isn't via the draft or when he's giving up a significant player is disqualifying at this point.

- The way the roster is setup, it is reliant on both Cozens and Thompsons to be fully healthy the entire year and play well to be successful. A significant injury or meh year is likely season derailing. You are already relying on either Krebs or one of Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund to be ready to contribute offense at the NHL level. To need both of them would likely be too much to ask over a long (20+ game) stretch.

Overall, the 'aggressive' approach promised by Adams was never going to happen. They were never adding a 3C. The plan was always redo the 4th line (they wanted to keep Zemgus, but he wants to win), Skinner out and another top six winger in. defense stands pat. I don't doubt he spoke to a lot of teams about a lot of players, but in the end, he opted to overpay on a short term deal for a guy on down year that won't add a lot of utility (at least IMHO) rather than give up assets for a quality top six forward.

Maybe the team adds another forward before the season ends, but its becoming less and less likely by the minute.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
While I personally think we are done (I dont think we sign Zucker if we are adding another forward)

In thinking about the offseason so far and what they've actually done.

- The Skinner buyout was 100% about budget above everything else. Ruff likely didn't like what he saw, but Skinner was probably staying if the Sabres were going to spend to the cap. They decided to buy him out so they could add a different forward. With the budget from the Pegulas, they likely couldn't have added one otherwise.

- Adams thought he could be more aggressive but doesn't have the stomach for the price or simply is a not great at his job. His inability to bring in talent that isn't via the draft or when he's giving up a significant player is disqualifying at this point.

- The way the roster is setup, it is reliant on both Cozens and Thompsons to be fully healthy the entire year and play well to be successful. A significant injury or meh year is likely season derailing. You are already relying on either Krebs or one of Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund to be ready to contribute offense at the NHL level. To need both of them would likely be too much to ask over a long (20+ game) stretch.

Overall, the 'aggressive' approach promised by Adams was never going to happen. They were never adding a 3C. The plan was always redo the 4th line (they wanted to keep Zemgus, but he wants to win), Skinner out and another top six winger in. defense stands pat. I don't doubt he spoke to a lot of teams about a lot of players, but in the end, he opted to overpay on a short term deal for a guy on down year that won't add a lot of utility (at least IMHO) rather than give up assets for a quality top six forward.

Maybe the team adds another forward before the season ends, but its becoming less and less likely by the minute.
I think Girgensons waited to see what KA was gonna accomplish, saw it was mediocre and then said "bye".

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
If we don't add a top 6 forward (which I doubt we do anyway) I think Benson has a great shot at it. & I don't know if I feel overly comfortable with that..yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad