2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Feb 5, 2016
Is cheeks good or bad? I don't want any more reason for Urban Dictionary to know I exist.
0C807B55-F680-42BA-85E9-7FFEB8CF21BF.gif

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Notes from dev camp scrimmage

1. Hunter McDonald was probably the best player on the ice. Don't believe me, I implore you to watch yourself. He won the puck at will, he also flashed offensively - even during the 4v4/3v3 portion. Passing was great. But man - he won the puck all night.

2. Denver Barkey's sauce pass (I think it was Barkey) in the first period was incredible. He has such a good hockey brain. He's creative. I also loved his knockdown in the 3rd period on the right boards, where he then cuts to the middle and gets a shot off at the hashmarks. Also he wins the puck in 3v3 and gave a backhand sauce to spring Avon for a breakaway.

3. Jett Luchenko is special man. He's so smart. He's everything you want in a player without maybe that top top end scoring. Is Ryan Kesler a fair comparison? I can't wait to watch him play this season.

4. Alex Bump - some people said he was good, I didn't really notice him 5v5 it could be true, its also easy to miss stuff. I don't really know. He was great on 3v3

5. Heikki Ruohonen is a dude. He really demands the puck on the breakout. It's very small, but he scored on a breakaway (period 1), and his stick placement to receive/demand the puck - was so hard to defend against. I have questions about his feet, but I could see big 15/20 goal, 20 assist - 3rd center. I felt like he didn't touch the ice after the 1st period. Not sure what was up with that, and then he magically appeared in 3v3 late?

6. Noah Powell flashed yesterday. Had some nice dangles all night.

7. I don't play goalie - I don't coach goalies, but I thought Carson Bjarnason wasn't great for the orange team. He made some big saves, the white team was also way better than orange team. He was great during the week though.

8. Oliver Bonk had a nice 1v1 poke/tie up on Jett in the ummmm 2nd period? I thought he was kind of rough today to be honest with you. Kinda sloppy on the puck, he also never received the puck in space.

9. Cole Knuble has a nice release - but I wonder about his skating.

10. Spencer Gill - I don't see it. He's so raw.

Bonus - Mann, Kaplan, McLaughlin, MacPherson, Remick, Sulku, Williams, Page, Samson, Sedley - didn't really flash to me yesterday or during the sessions. I'm historically pretty high on Gendron, but not sure what the deal is with him. Sometimes he looks like he has the skill needed to develop into a full time NHLer, other times he goes MIA. Kudashov has some sick hands - noticed that during a session last week.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I laugh when people say the rebuild has been fast tracked because Michkov came over 2 years earlier....no, it hasn't been fast tracked....its literally just started. Outside from Michkov, we don't have much in terms of talented prospects

It would be more on track if he didn’t come asap. Maybe we have Demidov as well and it would seem a lot more likely to trade Laughton and Konecny.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
My observations from the Dev camp scrimmage and Flahr interview

I think Luchanko directed the first goal to McDonald in front with his skate for the first goal. Impressive

As bonk said. Jett one man breakout. More effective barzal. More goals. Great passing still. Great vision and pace.

Jett may be the perfect center for Michkov imo.

Apparently he was THE youngest player in the draft. If he puts up huge numbers this year he would have to be considered a steal at 13. He looked great.

Defensive awareness. Can’t see him less than a 2C.

Flahr wants him to be LESS defensive and put up bigger numbers.

For the rest of the players.

Berglund 3C. He’s big and has some skill.

Knuble 4C

Bonk 2nd pair but likely highly regarded. Tried offense more in 4-4 and 3-3.

Bump 3rd line

Ciernik looks good. Jett lite. Has moves and speed. Scored 7th goal. Very good passing

Powell looks like a good 3rd or 4th line option that can play up like Matt Read maybe.

Bjarnason looked good after going from white to orange. Big and moved well

Hunter McDonald will be in the NHL this year. They love him. Torts loves him apparently. I would think he’s up with an injury. I’m not sure EJ plays much.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

I think Luchanko directed the first goal to McDonald in front with his skate for the first goal. Impressive

As bonk said. Jett one man breakout. More effective barzal. More goals. Great passing still. Great vision and pace.

Apparently he was THE youngest player in the draft. If he puts up huge numbers this year he would have to be considered a steal at 13. He looked great.

Knuble 4C

Bump 3rd line

Ciernik looks good. Jett lite. Has moves and speed. Scored 7th goal. Very good passing

Powell looks like a good 3rd or 4th line option that can play up like Matt Read maybe.

Hunter McDonald will be in the NHL this year. They love him. Torts loves him apparently. I would think he’s up with an injury. I’m not sure EJ plays much.
What did you think of Spencer Gill and Ruohonen?

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Knuble 4C

Bump 3rd line

Please remember what you saw was against a bunch of mediocre prospects.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Not too much of either

For sure. Which tells me more about the players that didn’t stick out vs the ones that did.
Agreed.

That's like saying players that play well in lesser leagues aren't to be used for evaluation because they are lesser leagues. It's circular.

My evaluation (Which I agree with TheKingPin on) isn't based on reactions to lesser players, but traits that he posses himself regardless of the league.

What decisions he makes, skating, board play, etc. He was very impressive. Is it the right pick still? That, I don't know and would relay that I'm hesitant to say that the Flyers didn't outsmart themselves on this one (assuming non-hockey factors were in play), as I'm probably going to guess that Buium would be impressive in a dev amp as well - so salt is taken, but it does seem like our so called random media experts aligned with consensus more than actual player evaluation - because the guy has serious tools. This is not suprirsing, as most of the pundits will just regurgitate some combination of players put out by somebody else, and then make a random off the wall selection to appear different. Consensus isn't always correct; in fact, rarely is, unless you look at #1OV.

Ironically, Flyers didn't even make the biggest reach on the draft. A team that we think has been rebuilding really well (they've been there for 7+ years now), the Ducks, reached from a mid to late teens pick to #3OV. There will always be some judgement done by teams.

Let's see, I guess. I don't know, my faith is waivering as is, but if this dude grows as expected, it will reduce my cynical meter a bit. But per the team, Drysdale really needs to be a good player otherwise the Flyers made a wrong call on timing of the CG trade.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
A more effective Barzal???????
Lol I obviously went for predictions. Many of them are based off this one scrimmage on YouTube haha. Jett I watched more highlights of. By effective I mean impact on the game. Luchanko seems like a more aware and impactful all over the ice. Barzal usually scores in the high teens which I think Luchanko will be beat. He’s had a few meh seasons with injuries. I don’t see Jett as a PPG player, but thinking around 70pts.

• Wow
Reactions: BigToe

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Lol I obviously went for predictions. Many of them are based off this one scrimmage on YouTube haha. Jett I watched more highlights of. By effective I mean impact on the game. Luchanko seems like a more aware and impactful all over the ice. Barzal usually scores in the high teens which I think Luchanko will be beat. He’s had a few meh seasons with injuries. I don’t see Jett as a PPG player, but thinking around 70pts.

Bro Barzal is a PPG player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad