Confirmed with Link: Nathan MacKinnon wins 2023-2024 Ted Lindsay Award (most outstanding player, as voted by peers) as well as 2023-2024 Hart Trophy (NHL MVP)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Imagine thinking negative of the pro scouts that have identified outstanding fits for the club since 17-18 because of a few very rare misses.

Also, Miles Wood is fine. He actually fits the Avs quite well. Pro scouts didn't give him that contract, CMac did.
Wood only gets flak because he is played higher in the lineup than he should be. We would all adore him if he was on the 4th line and did occasional spot duty on the 3rd. He sticks out like a sore thumb next to Tatar and RyJo in that group.

The pro scouts have done an unbelievable job turning reclamation projects into gold. Jack Johnson's career looked absolutely dead when he came here. Val Nichushkin was a well-known ultrabust on his way back to Russia. Jonathan Drouin was on his last chance. Devon Toews, Nazem Kadri, Artturi Lehkonen; all trade pickups.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Wood only gets flak because he is played higher in the lineup than he should be. We would all adore him if he was on the 4th line and did occasional spot duty on the 3rd. He sticks out like a sore thumb next to Tatar and RyJo in that group.

The pro scouts have done an unbelievable job turning reclamation projects into gold. Jack Johnson's career looked absolutely dead when he came here. Val Nichushkin was a well-known ultrabust on his way back to Russia. Jonathan Drouin was on his last chance. Devon Toews, Nazem Kadri, Artturi Lehkonen; all trade pickups.

I think they just read our board. The ROR trade proves this.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
With our drafting record, it's kind of miraculous that we had a contention window at all. We basically got some superstars with our top picks, but all of our depth and supporting pieces for the Cup team came from UFA and trades for breakout candidates like Toews, Girard, and Kadri. The typical model for a Cup team these days is to hit on a big pick beyond the 1st round (Letang, Keith, Point, Quick) and use that to catapult you into the contender tier. The Avs did this weird stop and start thing where they drafted their core pieces in 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2017, then started actually building into a legit contender over the next few years with continued additions via every possible method EXCEPT the draft, because they never got dick out of anybody past the top 10.
Their track record at 10 isn't that great either. Yes there is Mikko, but we only got him because about 8 or 9 other GMs were completely stupid for not grabbing him first. After lucking into Rants, the amateur scouts selected Tyson Jost with their next #10 overall.

I've been saying for years, they should just go off of Bobby Margarita's ratings and save all the time, effort and money spent on a amateur scouting department.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Their track record at 10 isn't that great either. Yes there is Mikko, but we only got him because about 8 or 9 other GMs were completely stupid for not grabbing him first. After lucking into Rants, the amateur scouts selected Tyson Jost with their next #10 overall.

I've been saying for years, they should just go off of Bobby Margarita's ratings and save all the time, effort and money spent on a amateur scouting department.
Hey, it could have been worse than Jost. It could have been Logan Brown.

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I was only half-serious in my post, maybe I could have made that more obvious.

Toews, Nichushkin (despite recent events), and arguably Kadri have been the three standout acquisitions. I don't think we needed the pro scouts to tell us that Lehkonen would be a standout playoff performer, but feel free to add to this tier.

There is a lot of mediocre in there as well, especially with goaltenders, we'll call those the Brandon Saad tier.

Who from the past two seasons can you say really stood out in a good way? Johansen and Tatar obvious misses, and getting rid of RyJo cost us a first-rounder. Colton and Wood okay. ERod okay, but a step back from Burakovsky. Walker, Duhaime, and Trenin passable. Eller an unmitigated disaster based on his cost. Nieto underwhelming. Depth defensemen that we've signed have been just that, not unexpected, but no revelations there.

Obviously, the biggie I haven't mentioned is Mittelstadt. I'm hoping once he gets stable wingers, he can help us match the center depth on the top teams in the West.
I mean Toews, Nuke, Kadri, Lehks, and Bura is a pretty insane run for a pro scouting department over what 2 seasons?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I was only half-serious in my post, maybe I could have made that more obvious.

Toews, Nichushkin (despite recent events), and arguably Kadri have been the three standout acquisitions. I don't think we needed the pro scouts to tell us that Lehkonen would be a standout playoff performer, but feel free to add to this tier.

There is a lot of mediocre in there as well, especially with goaltenders, we'll call those the Brandon Saad tier.

Who from the past two seasons can you say really stood out in a good way? Johansen and Tatar obvious misses, and getting rid of RyJo cost us a first-rounder. Colton and Wood okay. ERod okay, but a step back from Burakovsky. Walker, Duhaime, and Trenin passable. Eller an unmitigated disaster based on his cost. Nieto underwhelming. Depth defensemen that we've signed have been just that, not unexpected, but no revelations there.

Obviously, the biggie I haven't mentioned is Mittelstadt. I'm hoping once he gets stable wingers, he can help us match the center depth on the top teams in the West.
Ryjo wasnt a proscout miss, he was injured at the time of the trade and cmac made a poor gamble. Medical staff probably also gave poor advice.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

When I had a keeper league I used an average of Bob and Craig's lists. Then basically anything I could find for deeper rounds. Worked great, but didn't do it long enough to prove anything out.

Im pretty sure they would be better off though lol. I had drafted McAvoy instead of Jost so I already won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad