Friedman: Flames trying to acquire a first round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
According to Flame posters Brodie had played like s*** for the past 1-2 seasons and is not too far away from becoming s ufa.
Yet you you think he lands a top 9-12 pick + a 22 yr old JHS who has shown he can put up points at the nhl level?
Milbury is no longer the nyi GM.
Look elsewhere to palm a struggling Brodie off at a high price.

Brodie is still a good player. Doesn’t make much mistakes, it’s just the ones he has made were converted into goals. Brodie is a solid comparable to Leddy

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Brodie is a solid player who didn't have his best season. I would take a chance on him for the right price.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Brodie is still a good player. Doesn’t make much mistakes, it’s just the ones he has made were converted into goals. Brodie is a solid comparable to Leddy

If the draft were today, the isles firsts would 9th and 12th overall.
I have no interest in giving up either of those top 12 picks for Brodie.

And before anyone suggests it...no interest in trading the 2019 first for him either.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If the draft were today, the isles firsts would 9th and 12th overall.
I have no interest in giving up either of those top 12 picks for Brodie.

And before anyone suggests it...no interest in trading the 2019 first for him either.

My apologies, was used to the Flames having a pick at around 13-16. I suppose it wouldn’t make much sense for the Isles.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
2018 2nd (likely 32nd-34th overall)
2019 2nd
Jake McCabe

for

TJ Brodie
(doubtful he waives NTC for Buffalo.... but hey, it's worth a shot)

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The Flames can do 3 things to get a 1st round pick back:

1) See if there are any takers on Fox --> He is unsigned, and has decided to go back to Harvard for his last year. But honestly, who wouldn't finish their last year in Harvard? Furthermore, I think Adam Fox is more than willing to sign with an American team. Since he is unsigned, I think a pick in the 25-35 range would suffice if a team wants to take that risk on a defenseman who looks like he is going to be an absolute pro. It's unfortunate that he most likely won't sign with Calgary (there is still hope), but we did select him 3rd round in the 2016 draft so it's not entirely bad. The team that gets this guy, assuming we trade him, is not going to regret it. I know he'll be in your top 4 soon.

2) Trade Ferland --> Love the guy, but if there is anyone that probably has peaked value, it's this guy. Can play LW/RW on any line. He was an absolute beast in the 2015 playoffs against Vancouver in a bottom 6 role, and also has played rather well on the top line in Calgary as the RW stopgap for the time being. Has a pretty nasty shot, big body, can hit, he can do it all. Obviously is not a driver, he's a passenger that can really compliment anyone that he plays with. I think the only problem with him is inconsistency. This guy could fetch a 1st rounder (and nothing else) in the 20-30 range, basically for a team that would rather take a flier on a player of Ferland's caliber for a year to see if he can really pan out well to earn himself a better contract. Currently has 1 year left with a value of 1.750m. Pretty easy to fit that within any cap-structured team.

3) Trade Brodie --> If we are looking to really retool and think we have a chance at signing another decent LHD, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Brodie. I really think that this guy just simply did not have a good year. He's usually above average, but this year he has not played well at all. If he were to switch teams and played as their #2/#3, I think he would excel, especially on the right side where he played his best hockey. This guy could fetch a mid round 1st and a B+/A- prospect in my opinion. 2 years left at 4.65m is a dang good contract for someone of Brodie's caliber. Plays above average defensively, and you can expect him to rack up .5PPG.

If I were the GM of the Flames, I would be looking for a 1st in this order. Chicago could definitely give us Nashville's 1st for Fox, or the Flyers could even shell out one of their 1st round picks for a LW like Ferland. The Islanders could very well hand us back our 1st round pick and Ho-Sang for Brodie, because I believe that they are a team that is just a defenseman and goalie away from being really good.

These are just my ideas. I don't think the Flames have to trade Bennett for a low 1st, high 2nd with the risk of him finding his game on another team, or even trade Tkachuk/Gaudreau/Monahan/Hamilton for some quantity + picks. I think with one of these three options we can find ourselves back in the 1st round.
Fox has one more year after this season I think, this should be his junior season so he should be eligible for his senior year in 2020 if he wants to go back.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
As a Oilers fan and I might be in the Minority, but I would offer the Oilers 1st(~8th overall) before the draft lotto for Hamilton. Calgary then has chance to win lotto and move up.

that Edmonton pick would have to be #1 pick protected. Oilers are giving up Dahlin for Hamilton

Reactions: Devonator

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
that Edmonton pick would have to be #1 pick protected. Oilers are giving up Dahlin for Hamilton
That is the incentive for the Flames to do it. Hamilton IMO has more value then the 8th overall pick. I think the small odds of them getting a Franchise changer Dman is worth it.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
This might sound insane, but if Canucks win the lottery I'd easily give up Tkachuk and more. Size and nastiness is overrated, especially if you can get Dahlin.

I agree with your overall point of getting a Dahlin and having to trade a Tkachuk to get him...I just wouldn't have stated it like that.

I'd say, the only way I would trade a package around a heart and soul player like Tkachuk is if I'm getting a high-potential elite top line/pair core player like Dahlin.

iBELEAF

May 30, 2011
Vancouver
The Flames can do 3 things to get a 1st round pick back:

1) See if there are any takers on Fox --> He is unsigned, and has decided to go back to Harvard for his last year. But honestly, who wouldn't finish their last year in Harvard? Furthermore, I think Adam Fox is more than willing to sign with an American team. Since he is unsigned, I think a pick in the 25-35 range would suffice if a team wants to take that risk on a defenseman who looks like he is going to be an absolute pro. It's unfortunate that he most likely won't sign with Calgary (there is still hope), but we did select him 3rd round in the 2016 draft so it's not entirely bad. The team that gets this guy, assuming we trade him, is not going to regret it. I know he'll be in your top 4 soon.

2) Trade Ferland --> Love the guy, but if there is anyone that probably has peaked value, it's this guy. Can play LW/RW on any line. He was an absolute beast in the 2015 playoffs against Vancouver in a bottom 6 role, and also has played rather well on the top line in Calgary as the RW stopgap for the time being. Has a pretty nasty shot, big body, can hit, he can do it all. Obviously is not a driver, he's a passenger that can really compliment anyone that he plays with. I think the only problem with him is inconsistency. This guy could fetch a 1st rounder (and nothing else) in the 20-30 range, basically for a team that would rather take a flier on a player of Ferland's caliber for a year to see if he can really pan out well to earn himself a better contract. Currently has 1 year left with a value of 1.750m. Pretty easy to fit that within any cap-structured team.

3) Trade Brodie --> If we are looking to really retool and think we have a chance at signing another decent LHD, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Brodie. I really think that this guy just simply did not have a good year. He's usually above average, but this year he has not played well at all. If he were to switch teams and played as their #2/#3, I think he would excel, especially on the right side where he played his best hockey. This guy could fetch a mid round 1st and a B+/A- prospect in my opinion. 2 years left at 4.65m is a dang good contract for someone of Brodie's caliber. Plays above average defensively, and you can expect him to rack up .5PPG.

If I were the GM of the Flames, I would be looking for a 1st in this order. Chicago could definitely give us Nashville's 1st for Fox, or the Flyers could even shell out one of their 1st round picks for a LW like Ferland. The Islanders could very well hand us back our 1st round pick and Ho-Sang for Brodie, because I believe that they are a team that is just a defenseman and goalie away from being really good.

These are just my ideas. I don't think the Flames have to trade Bennett for a low 1st, high 2nd with the risk of him finding his game on another team, or even trade Tkachuk/Gaudreau/Monahan/Hamilton for some quantity + picks. I think with one of these three options we can find ourselves back in the 1st round.

0% chance you get a first for fox or ferland.

Bodie for sure but why would the flames trade him with his value being low just because they want a 1st

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
A quick question for Flames fans

Wouldn't it make more sense if your trading something good enough to get a 1st this year if you just traded that asset for a RW that can play in your top 6?

Reactions: Tripod

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Too much quantity. I am unfamiliar with how Reinhart is viewed in Buffalo, but i'd ask for him.

Too much value, potential and term/team control for 2 years of Brodie

My Brodie proposal was under the premise of wanting to get back in to the 1st round. While a high 2nd isnt exactly a 1st... a high 2nd + assets should close the gap some.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Sorry, I should've included another comma. I meant Provorov, or Konecny and a 1st

Okay, that makes much more sense.

Provo would be a no go, we just aren't trading him. However, TK + 1st for Tkachuk I'd seriously consider but only if we had a deal in place for Simmonds for a first and a top/good prospect.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
A quick question for Flames fans

Wouldn't it make more sense if your trading something good enough to get a 1st this year if you just traded that asset for a RW that can play in your top 6?

This is what the Flames are most likely looking to do, Friedman is just making up stuff. Why the f*** would we trade for a 1st round pick, when we are looking to contend now.

Reactions: Tripod

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
This is what the Flames are most likely looking to do, Friedman is just making up stuff. Why the **** would we trade for a 1st round pick, when we are looking to contend now.
Because we miserably failed at contending now and adding one top 6 winger likely doesn't change that.

I don't think Treliving is going out of his way to get a first more like if we trade X we want a first back as part of the package.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Because we miserably failed at contending now and adding one top 6 winger likely doesn't change that.

I don't think Treliving is going out of his way to get a first more like if we trade X we want a first back as part of the package.

You are right the Flames getting one top 6 winger does not change anything but we need depth up front, so this can be a winger or a center or another package. Friedman is saying the Flames are looking to get a first round pick and that is total crap, unless that pick is a top pick it does not help the Flames.

Reactions: Dack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad