Friedman: Flames trying to acquire a first round pick

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If the Habs get the third overall pick what else would they need to add to get Monahan or is he truly untouchable?

I'm not sure. We'd really need to be picking a centre better than Monahan with the 3rd pick, in which case, why are you making that trade since you're further from contending than us?

It's a pretty big risk though for the Flames which is why I probably wouldn't do it without some add.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If the Habs get the third overall pick what else would they need to add to get Monahan or is he truly untouchable?

a #3 pick could be a bust. Monahan is a sure 30-35 goal scorer. I think he's easily with a pick or two extra on top of the 3rd overall.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I'm not sure. We'd really need to be picking a centre better than Monahan with the 3rd pick, in which case, why are you making that trade since you're further from contending than us?

It's a pretty big risk though for the Flames which is why I probably wouldn't do it without some add.

I'm not the Gm so I'm just making assumptions that Molson and Bergevin will want to compete now. Getting Monahan and using the cap space on a LD to play with Weber would at least make them a playoff team. Not saying it's a good course of action but just thinking out loud.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
a #3 pick could be a bust. Monahan is a sure 30-35 goal scorer. I think he's easily with a pick or two extra on top of the 3rd overall.

yeah I was thinking a 3rd overall + another first at minimum. I would not do it from a habs POV because I think they need to rebuild.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
but if Canucks win the lottery I'd easily give up Tkachuk and more

Absolutely not insane --- I'd give up Tkachuk + for Dahlin too

We have a problem trying to select a bona fide first-rounder,

You'll never have an issue drafting Dahlin at #1

On topic:

Habs should be interested in moving their three seconds + something for a mid first, and then trading that + Patches + 2019 1st + something else for Tkachuk.

Draft other Tkachuk.

Profit.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
It has to either be Brodie alone or Frolik + for a 1st worth even trading for. Otherwise they should try to squeeze out a couple 2nd's.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Given that Zadina and Svechnikov are both wingers, and Tkachuk has a questionable NHLe in comparison to similarly ranked players, I would say that you would need to add a significant amount. It doesn't make sense for the flames to trade their best centre without getting at least a centre of equal potential back. Even then it really doesn't make sense. It's not like Monahan isn't pretty cost controlled as well. Just over 6 million for the next 6 years.

After looking at Montreal's prospect pool and roster a bit more thoroughly, I don't think there is anything that you could add to the pick that I would think is fair value.

Reactions: David Suzuki

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I could see them getting mid round pick for Sam Bennet if they take a bad contract.

Sam Bennet + 3rd round draft pick for 2018 1st round draft pick + bad contract

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
This might sound insane, but if Canucks win the lottery I'd easily give up Tkachuk and more. Size and nastiness is overrated, especially if you can get Dahlin.

That sounds insane for Vancouver. If the Canucks win the lottery they’re 10,000% drafting Dahlin. The Sedins will probably come back cheap. Edler, Eriksson Markstom and Nilsson are still under contract. Petersson and Dahlen will come over. They will surround him with Swedish vets to mentor him and help him transition smoothly and build a Swedish core with him and Petersson to go forward.

Reactions: Tripod

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm sure it's been said, but any chance Calgary looks to move one of Brodie, Hamilton, or Hamonic?

Maybe the Rangers would be interested in adding one of them with their boatload of picks.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'm sure it's been said, but any chance Calgary looks to move one of Brodie, Hamilton, or Hamonic?

Maybe the Rangers would be interested in adding one of them with their boatload of picks.

Brodie for sure, Hamilton I would say almost no way and Hamonic I think is doubtful as well for a few reasons.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

A center that is better than Monahan.

I can't see a single deal that makes sense for Monahan that doesn't involve a center that is clearly better than him. Otherwise they are basically deciding to waste Gaudreau's prime, Tkachuk's ELC and Gio's last productive years.

The Flames center depth would be Montreal levels of bad if Monohan is moved for no center or a big downgrade. Backlund is good in his role but he is not a 1st line center.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I could see them getting mid round pick for Sam Bennet if they take a bad contract.

Sam Bennet + 3rd round draft pick for 2018 1st round draft pick + bad contract

Unless it's a high lottery pick, Sam Bennett is better than what you can get in the 2nd half of the first round.

He is a disappointment so far for a high pick but he is still only 21 and for sure will be a quality 3rd liner at the minimum

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
On topic:

Habs should be interested in moving their three seconds + something for a mid first, and then trading that + Patches + 2019 1st + something else for Tkachuk.

Draft other Tkachuk.

Profit.

I assume they are stealing someone from another team because there is nothing they have that is close to good enough to add to that package that gets Tkachuk.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Flames are weak as it is at center. Teams will usually trade their surplus and expendable players

Imo the main reason that Hamonic looked worse than he should on the Flames is because they are too deep at D. The logical thing to do would be to trade one of their Dmen for either a good center, goalie, or get a 1st rounder +

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He had 36 points his rookie year at 18, which is fine, but is now going to be sub-30 points in back to back years and he didn't have any injury setbacks in either of those years. He just isn't that good and there is no reason that a GM would give up a 1st round pick for him rather than use that to draft a player with more potential to be a better NHL player. Do your gymnastics all you want but he isn't worth a 1st, not even a late one.
It's not gymnastics at all. Have you seen the kinds of trades that take place in the NHL? A 1st round pick for Bennett wouldn't even be at the edge of the realm of possibility, much less outside it.

Let me take you all the way back to 2015 at the draft, when the Oilers traded their 1st round pick for 21 year old Griffin Reinhart, a player with no discernible NHL qualities, who couldn't even make a significant impact at the AHL level. And you think it's mental gymnastics to understand it's entirely possible, even verging on likely, that an NHL GM would be willing to give up a 1st for Bennett?

Reactions: No Draft

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Unless it's a high lottery pick, Sam Bennett is better than what you can get in the 2nd half of the first round.

He is a disappointment so far for a high pick but he is still only 21 and for sure will be a quality 3rd liner at the minimum

This is the thing a lot of folks don't seem to grasp about draft picks. People harp on Bennett's production, but if you look at the vast majority of players taken in the 20-30 range, you'd consider yourself lucky to have a 21 year old already producing 10+ goals, and almost 30 points in the NHL.

I think HF has this perception that you're getting 30 goal guys routinely with late first round picks.

Reactions: No Draft

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Okay, that makes much more sense.

Provo would be a no go, we just aren't trading him. However, TK + 1st for Tkachuk I'd seriously consider but only if we had a deal in place for Simmonds for a first and a top/good prospect.
I think you're way under valuing tk here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What a disaster Calgary is
SOlid contribution as always. They must be emulating your post history

Lazar has so many intangibles though! Bennet has fewer intangibles. That lowers his trade value.
Lazar has some intangibles yes, but literally everything Lazar has, so does Bennett and then some, except Bennett's actually an NHL quality player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad