NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Disney is content with the NHL numbers because they are paying far less for the rights as compared to the NBA.

Local ratings on ABC Channel 10 in Miami WPLG are soft - a little stronger on ABC 25 WPBF in West Palm Beach.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Pattaya, Thailand
Disney is content with the NHL numbers because they are paying far less for the rights as compared to the NBA.

Local ratings on ABC Channel 10 in Miami WPLG are soft - a little stronger on ABC 25 WPBF in West Palm Beach.
Got a source for the local ratings? We haven’t seen any all playoffs so just curious how you magically have access to them.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Want to place a wager on that? ;)
why would u wanna bet against the sports media watch guy?? this guy is usually spot on with every sports rating. That's his job for so many yrs.

I would bet u, but we dont know each other and live 2,000 miles apart. U and i are just a name here. I can't be so sure u'd wire me 300$ who u have no idea who ur sending it to and u'll never see ur whole life.

So we'll do this bet.

IF game is over 7M, u have to type here

I, Jets4life am not as knowledgeable as Nicky Santoro.

and if it goes under 7M, i have to type here.

I, Nicky Santoro am not as knowledgeable as Jets4life

Do we have a bet?

But this bet only counts if its not a blowout. As long as it's not 3-0 end of 1, or 5-1 end of 2. It has to be fairly close all game.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
why would u wanna bet against the sports media watch guy?? this guy is usually spot on with every sports rating. That's his job for so many yrs.

I would bet u, but we dont know each other and live 2,000 miles apart. U and i are just a name here. I can't be so sure u'd wire me 300$ who u have no idea who ur sending it to and u'll never see ur whole life.
Calm down. I never planned on betting any money.

My prediction for Game 7 Ratings is 6.8 million Americans tune in Monday night for the Stanley Cup Final. I can see the game possibly getting over 7 million viewers, but not 8 million.

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
Disney has to be thrilled with the Edmonton/Florida final and that it is going 7 games. It is actual a plus that the league can have two of the smallest markets in the finals yet have good story lines and have descent ratings. If game 7 has around 7 million viewers in the US (peaks at 9-10 million) it will average well over 4 million for the series. Over 7 million viewers in Canada too. ESPN only pays 400 million a year for their portion of NHL TV/streaming rights versus 1.4 Billion for NBA. Soon to 76 Billion over 11 years for all networks. It makes the NHL rights look like an incredible value and the next media rights deal in the US will no doubt double or triple.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
21st Century SCF Game 7 avg viewership in the U.S.:

2019 STL-BOS: 8.723M (NBC) *excluding unofficial streaming
2011 BOS-VAN: 8.540M (NBC)
2009 PIT-DET: 7.992M (NBC)
2006 EDM-CAR: 5.290M (NBC)
2004 CGY-TBL: 6.290M (ABC)
2003 ANA-NJD: 7.169M (ABC)
2001 NJD-COL: 6.95M (ABC)

Based on history:

The jumps from Game 6 to Game 7 those years were between 1.9M-3.4M. With a majority (4 of 7) between 2.0M-2.4M and those four average out to a 2.2M jump from Game 6.

So with this years Game 6 being 4.2M (fast national, so final # could be 4.3M) I'd predict 6.4M-6.5M for Game 7 Monday (I lean towards 6.4M)

With range being between 6.2M-7.2M and I'd set an o/u at 6.5M (I'm taking just under.)

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I'
21st Century SCF Game 7 avg viewership in the U.S.:

2019 STL-BOS: 8.723M (NBC) *excluding unofficial streaming
2011 BOS-VAN: 8.540M (NBC)
2009 PIT-DET: 7.992M (NBC)
2006 EDM-CAR: 5.290M (NBC)
2004 CGY-TBL: 6.290M (ABC)
2003 ANA-NJD: 7.169M (ABC)
2001 NJD-COL: 6.95M (ABC)

Based on history:

The jumps from Game 6 to Game 7 those years were between 1.9M-3.4M. With a majority (4 of 7) between 2.0M-2.4M and those four average out to a 2.2M jump from Game 6.

So with this years Game 6 being 4.2M (fast national, so final # could be 4.3M) I'd predict 6.4M-6.5M for Game 7 Monday (I lean towards 6.4M)

With range being between 6.2M-7.2M and I'd set an o/u at 6.5M (I'm taking just under.)
I'll guess that it gets 6.7 million.

8.9 million peak

Reaser

May 19, 2021
SMW article on Game 6 numbers:

"Entering Monday’s Game 7, the Stanley Cup Final is averaging 3.6 million viewers on ABC — up 36% from last year’s five-game series on TNT, TBS and truTV, but down 22% from the six-game Avalanche-Lightning series in ’22 (4.6M)."

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
4.2M is embarassing as hell. I expected at least 5.7M. Game wasn't even a blowout. Friday night and nothing really good to watch on TV. People home from work after a long week. No other sports playing at all. Almost every MLB game was over, or a blowout. The barn in EDM was loud and EDM about to tie the series at 3-3 after being down 0-3. No team has ever came back to win after being down 0-3 since 1942... It was a possible deciding game. It was on ABC, and McDavid just came off an incredible game and going for the Gretzky record, and no competition at all.. and it only gets 4.2M???

i am now backtracking my just under 8M prediction for gm7.. I guess americans just don't care enough to tune into hockey no matter the storyline.

We'll be so lucky if we hit 7M..

4mats4

Sep 15, 2019
I think game 7 will be a test of the ESPN social media hype machine to see if ABC/ESPN can get a record breaking number out of this game. Realistically a game between a Canadian team and a Florida based team, while still producing a really solid number, should not break a viewership record. However, part of why people were excited when they heard ESPN got the A package was because of how mainstream ESPN and their hype machine is, so I think this game is a really solid test of how they do marketing the game. Best player in the game attempting one of the greatest all time sports comebacks writes itself. Lets hope they deliver and we don't get a number lower than Oilers-Hurricanes in 2006

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
I think game 7 will be a test of the ESPN social media hype machine to see if ABC/ESPN can get a record breaking number out of this game. Realistically a game between a Canadian team and a Florida based team, while still producing a really solid number, should not break a viewership record. However, part of why people were excited when they heard ESPN got the A package was because of how mainstream ESPN and their hype machine is, so I think this game is a really solid test of how they do marketing the game. Best player in the game attempting one of the greatest all time sports comebacks writes itself. Lets hope they deliver and we don't get a number lower than Oilers-Hurricanes in 2006
Hmmm...it's so frustrating, but it seems some or many fans and radio sports talk hosts in America are somewhat or even fully focused on all these ongoing soccer games. At least some of the time, on certain shoes.

I'm not into soccer and not even sure how often this current tournament is played (it's called Euro 2024, I think?). So every four years, perhaps? There always seems to be a major soccer tournament almost all the time, right?

Even a syndicated late-night host named Bart, who I've never heard until recently on WEEI 93.7 fm in Boston, mentioned before game 6 how he'll be focused on soccer on Monday night if a game 7 is needed. Aaarrgh!

And...who the heck could've predicted all the attention the (damn? lol) WNBA is getting...in their regular season!, even during the Stanley Cup Final! Of course, it'll now be the same every year going forward, as the WNBA will continue to set all kinds of records -- as the NHL continues to spin its wheels, hoping for any small uptick in ratings and general interest, right?

Lots of syndicated American sports talk is not talking much or any game 6 and game 7. In Boston, just a small amount on the two local sports stations, depending on the hosts. At least major Boston radio station WBZ 1030 AM news radio did a 20-second clip on the epic comeback, repeated throughout the day. So at least some publicity, thank goodness.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hard to project a final number for ABC but they are not getting a major bump from the South Florida market,

Another problem in the US is that cord-cutters under 45 don't want to buy an antenna to get local TV or scanning the TV is too complicated.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The hype machine from Bristol Clown College doesn't do hockey. ESPN could have the deciding game of the NCAA College Baseball World Series on Monday as well.

A few years ago SNL did a hysterical take on hockey demographics

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Maybe that 4.2M is not so bad. I know on avg NBA is always 4x more than NHL. Deciding NBA game DAL/BOS only got about 10M. that's just over 2x more than gm6, and it still wasn't deciding game.. and NBA had 2 of the top 5 US markets playing too. And lets be honest here, in gm6 when it was EDM 3-0, we all knew NO WAY fla is coming back. so maybe ppl turned the channel in the 3rd period.

So if we can get 4.2M for a gm6 with a CDN market vs a horrible weak US market, i think it's not bad. Maybe we can get 7M-8M, who knows? It's freakin gm7 now, not gm6. The 0-3 deficit can be officially erased Mon night.

But can u guys imagine if instead of these 2 teams, NYR were down 3-0 to CHI in the SCF and now it's 3-3??? OMG, 10M-12M easily. All of NY would be tuned in. even NYI and NJ fans cheering for CHI.. And every household in CHI would be tuned in. And all the NYR and CHI fans across the country, and all the NYR and CHI haters across the country.. it would've been EPIC.

Too bad we wasted this great series on 2 meaningless teams

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Maybe that 4.2M is not so bad. I know on avg NBA is always 4x more than NHL. Deciding NBA game DAL/BOS only got about 10M. that's just over 2x more than gm6, and it still wasn't deciding game.. and NBA had 2 of the top 5 US markets playing too. And lets be honest here, in gm6 when it was EDM 3-0, we all knew NO WAY fla is coming back. so maybe ppl turned the channel in the 3rd period.

So if we can get 4.2M for a gm6 with a CDN market vs a horrible weak US market, i think it's not bad. Maybe we can get 7M-8M, who knows? It's freakin gm7 now, not gm6. The 0-3 deficit can be officially erased Mon night.

But can u guys imagine if instead of these 2 teams, NYR were down 3-0 to CHI in the SCF and now it's 3-3??? OMG, 10M-12M easily. All of NY would be tuned in. even NYI and NJ fans cheering for CHI.. And every household in CHI would be tuned in. And all the NYR and CHI fans across the country, and all the NYR and CHI haters across the country.. it would've been EPIC.

Too bad we wasted this great series on 2 meaningless teams
There’s no way they were beating the nba finals regardless of teams .

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
There’s no way they were beating the nba finals regardless of teams .
Joey, are u telling me chi up 3-0 over NYR... NYR win the next 3 and are now 3-3 heading into gm7 to make history that they are not getting 10M+???? they already got close to 9M for CHI/BOS a few yrs ago and it was only gm6..

I bet at least 3 ppl on this board would agree with me that NYR/CHI going to game7 to make history tomorrow would easily get 10M+.. If we have a chance at 7-8M for gm7 with EDM/FLA, u don't think we can get 2-3M more with NYR/CHI.. 2 of the top 3 US markets that LOVE hockey.

Can i get at least 1 poster here to back me up??? Come on don't be shy. Lets prove Joey wrong.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
4.2M is embarassing as hell. I expected at least 5.7M. Game wasn't even a blowout. Friday night and nothing really good to watch on TV. People home from work after a long week. No other sports playing at all. Almost every MLB game was over, or a blowout. The barn in EDM was loud and EDM about to tie the series at 3-3 after being down 0-3. No team has ever came back to win after being down 0-3 since 1942... It was a possible deciding game. It was on ABC, and McDavid just came off an incredible game and going for the Gretzky record, and no competition at all.. and it only gets 4.2M???
The game was on Friday night. Weekend games do not draw as well as weekday games. Too many people enjoying the beginning of summer, and other things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad