Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's shocking how fast a prime contention window can close. 2 years ago this team had the makings of a dynasty. Now, um, not so much.
The writing was on the wall on what would happen back then. It was going to take a number of things to go right and not enough have. They can still make moves to catch a chance, but it’s very far from a sure thing.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The writing was on the wall on what would happen back then. It was going to take a number of things to go right and not enough have. They can still make moves to catch a chance, but it’s very far from a sure thing.
Feels like more have gone wrong. This team with a healthy Landeskog and Nuke in the line up 100% would've gone further in the last 2 seasons.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It's shocking how fast a prime contention window can close. 2 years ago this team had the makings of a dynasty. Now, um, not so much.
They were never going to win a bunch of cups with how brutal the drafting has been for years. At least a couple solid picks outside the top 10 would have made a big difference. Impressive that they even built such strong rosters.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Let's be absolutely real. The Oilers just got in to a G7 of the SC final, and lost. A lot of us probably think they are a very flawed team.

Yeah, they probably have the best hockey player to ever play the game.

MacKinnon is not too bad though. And we have the best defenceman to ever play the game. And one of the best wingers currently in the game.

We will be contending for many years to come. Prime contenders? No, but think about how random the NHL playoffs are. One or two key injuries, you have big dogs dropping. I'm pretty sure we can still hope for another long run in the next few years. Might not happen, but certainly CAN happen.

• Haha
Reactions: Murzu and Bender

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
A lot has gone wrong in that time. Landy was on the brink of retirement, Byram and Newhook never really developed, and Nuke's personal life nuked two playoffs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A lot has gone wrong in that time. Landy was on the brink of retirement, Byram and Newhook never really developed, and Nuke's personal life nuked two playoffs.
Byram and Newhook were never going to take that step. Especially Newhook who never had the needed skill set here.

Last years team would have been even thinner if Landy was back.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Colton is a 3C that can't drive his line (as seen with the loss of LOC) and isn't good defensively. Let's not act like he's hard to replace.
Colton had 9pts in 19 games after LOC got hurt, a drop in pace of 2 points from the 40 he actually scored and an xGF% of 50.01%. So he was the same offensively and wasn’t a net loss either as a whole. You aren’t finding a 40pt C with average defense for less money than what Colton is making currently.

Reactions: Bender

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He really is not though. He makes average 3rd liner money. We've got to stop living like the Cap is 10-15M less than it is now. Yeah we're going to be in a crunch, but he makes average 3rd liner money, and he is an average 3rd liner...who just happened to post career highs in goals and points last year.

I would NOT say that Drouin "vastly outplayed Colton last year", both had struggles, and Drouin got hot. But he's also had an injury history, and I am leery of giving him any sort of term and high dollars. There's a very real possibility that he knew he was playing for his NHL life last year and that brought out extra motivation that may otherwise not be there if he's gotten security again.

I'm not saying we shouldn't re-sign him, I'm saying I wouldn't sacrifice Colton to do it...and I'm not even saying this as a Colton fanatic, I thought he was fine last year, just fine; but I AM saying it as someone who recognized the Avs go through a long period of time w/o a capable 3C, they just found one, why trade that away and go back to having shit C depth?

Because he's not capable..

Stats say one thing, as far as production, but he just doesn’t create, nor is he good defensively.

In saying that I'm all for them paying through the nose for retention on a 3C upgrade.

If the third line is going to be a offensive sheltered line, might as well put Richie there and give him those sheltered minutes, at least at the start of the year.

Reactions: Alienblood

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Because he's not capable..

Stats say one thing, as far as production, but he just doesn’t create, nor is he good defensively.

In saying that I'm all for them paying through the nose for retention on a 3C upgrade.

If the third line is going to be an offensive sheltered line, might as well put Richie there and give him those sheltered minutes, at least at the start of the year.
Putting Ritchie at 3C would just be awful awful development…

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Ritchie can try 3c the following season. Just accept we will be below average at that spot till the deadline and move for one then

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
If I'm running the show, I'm holding onto Colton and looking to make a trade around the 24th for Holtz. Replacing a top 6 wing with an ELC is much easier than a 3C.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
It's actually irrelevant how good the team is, no-one in this age of parity is expected to win a bunch of cups. The odds just aren't there even if you have the best team in the league. One cup win is a realistic expectation for a top of the league core. Some will be lucky and win more, some will be unlucky and win none. Dynasties just aren't a thing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The obvious answer to that is to pay up to get a 3C at a bargain caphit, like the Jenner example I suggested earlier. Basically what Tampa did to get excess value with Hagel.
Going to have to be ready to give up this 1st and one of Ritchie/Goulash for that quality and that level of retention.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
A 3C is more important to a team's success than a 2W. I get wanting to keep Drouin, but this will be relegating the bottom 6 to a combined ~16 minutes a night. Unless they pull off an expensive trade for a 3C with retention, odds are the bottom 6 gets a lot worse.
I agree that 3C is more important, but the question then is whether or not the front office and coaches believe Colton is the right guy to fill that role. Given his ice-time and special teams usage (i.e. lack thereof), along with trade rumours now from Seravalli and Friedman, it would seem that they don't.

If they trade Colton as it seems they will, they'll need to find a solution to 3C. But given how CMac lined up the trades involving Newhook/Colton and Byram/Walker it's probably safe to assume that dominoes will be lined up if and when Colton gets moved to ensure the 3C is adequately filled.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Let's be absolutely real. The Oilers just got in to a G7 of the SC final, and lost. A lot of us probably think they are a very flawed team.

Yeah, they probably have the best hockey player to ever play the game.

MacKinnon is not too bad though. And we have the best defenceman to ever play the game. And one of the best wingers currently in the game.

We will be contending for many years to come. Prime contenders? No, but think about how random the NHL playoffs are. One or two key injuries, you have big dogs dropping. I'm pretty sure we can still hope for another long run in the next few years. Might not happen, but certainly CAN happen.
Bobby Orr was the best dman ever and the best player ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad