NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Joey, are u telling me chi up 3-0 over NYR... NYR win the next 3 and are now 3-3 heading into gm7 to make history that they are not getting 10M+???? they already got close to 9M for CHI/BOS a few yrs ago and it was only gm6..
I'm not so sure even a Chicago-NYR Game 7 would eclipse 10 million. It would certainly be high- and likely set a record for 2 American teams in the final. However, I really think the ceiling is just over 9 million for any game 7. In fact, one can argue a Boston-Chicago series could technically do better than NYR-Chicago.
I bet at least 3 ppl on this board would agree with me that NYR/CHI going to game7 to make history tomorrow would easily get 10M+.. If we have a chance at 7-8M for gm7 with EDM/FLA, u don't think we can get 2-3M more with NYR/CHI.. 2 of the top 3 US markets that LOVE hockey.

Problem is, that it's highly unlikely Game 7 will do anywhere near 8 million viewers.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
I'm not so sure even a Chicago-NYR Game 7 would eclipse 10 million. It would certainly be high- and likely set a record for 2 American teams in the final. However, I really think the ceiling is just over 9 million for any game 7. In fact, one can argue a Boston-Chicago series could technically do better than NYR-Chicago.

Problem is, that it's highly unlikely Game 7 will do anywhere near 8 million viewers.
so if EDM/FLA somehow manage to get 7M mon, u don't think a NYR/CHI, or BOS/CHI can get 1M more than a CDN team vs a tiny boring market in FLA??? i still say 10M+ with a team coming back from 0-3 to force a gm7 and make history.

Also, i still believe if gm7 was played SUN night, it'd have gotten 2M more than Mon night. First of all, 3 day wait is no good.. Also, Sun night had no tv shows on, no mlb at all except 1 game that was boring and not close and everyone is home SUN night resting for work mon morning.

Instead, on MON, they've got college world series and a full slate of MLB games to compete with. And some ppl working late, or tired from work and sleep early.

I know it wasn't possible cuz NBA had gm7 scheduled sun night and probably the long travel maybe affected it too..

But I really think game not being SUN night will cost us some 1-2M extra viewers.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
MLB games have literally zero effect on NHL ratings. Baseball has lost most of it's audience from 30 years ago.
yeah but when the red sox or yankees are playing, im sure more ppl in BOS and NY will be watching the redsox and yanks over the hockey game. Those are fans we are losing for the hockey game.. I'm not even including the 80,000 combined fans at Yankee stadium and fenway park, who could be home watching gm7. This applies for every other team like the phils, cubs, pirates, cards, twins, etc. They'll watch their team anyday over gm7.

Whether u believe it or not, it does affect it.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
MLB games have literally zero effect on NHL ratings. Baseball has lost most of it's audience from 30 years ago.
Regular season games unless they're on FOX are irrelevant for ratings.

We'll see if this huge gap between games 7 atracts some casuals also with the comeback story. Should be a fun night the league has to be very pleased since tonight it's one of the biggest games in the history of the NHL.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I think this game could get close to 8m. I know that's a massive jump from game 6, but the coming back 3-0 down is a narrative that has appeal for fans across sports. People like witnessing history. That's going to factor into the equation. Monday is a good night for TV watching.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
I think this game could get close to 8m. I know that's a massive jump from game 6, but the coming back 3-0 down is a narrative that has appeal for fans across sports. People like witnessing history. That's going to factor into the equation. Monday is a good night for TV watching.

I've been saying that for 3 days and ppl here thought i was nuts. I predicted 7-8M and decided 7.69M is my final prediction.

This morning every ESPN show started with gm7. First Take with Stephen A smith was all hockey the first hr, and they never talk hockey. He's going to that game tonight and said he can't wait. Morning talk shows, ABC, NBC, CBS, u name it.. are all talking about this game. Yesterday i'm in my car and they play ESPN radio on Sundays here. Almost 1 hr they were talking about gm7. And i've never heard them ever talk hockey before. It's always NBA and WNBA and of course NFL, NCAAB and NCAAF.

i can't wait. What a great time for hockey to have eyeballs on it. gm7, was down 3-0. we showed how hockey is better than NBA, that ended so fast and all games were blowouts. This is best thing to ever happen to the NHL in decades. Even ppl that don't know the sport at all will be watching in some homes. Bettman must be dancing right now. This is such a great advertisement for the NHL.

Hey NextBigThing, i like u and all, and enjoy ur posts and love seeing u put down NHL.. i laugh cuz i find this entertaining, but man, this whole thing has to be killing u and how it's winding down.

U must be pissed as hell

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Chile,

I've been saying that for 3 days and ppl here thought i was nuts. I predicted 7-8M and decided 7.69M is my final prediction.

This morning every ESPN show started with gm7. First Take with Stephen A smith was all hockey the first hr, and they never talk hockey. He's going to that game tonight and said he can't wait. Morning talk shows, ABC, NBC, CBS, u name it.. are all talking about this game.

i can't wait. What a great time for hockey to have eyeballs on it. gm7, was down 3-0. we showed how hockey is better than NBA, that ended so fast and all games were blowouts. This is best thing to ever happen to the NHL in decades. Even ppl that don't know the sport at all will be watching in some homes. Bettman must be dancing right now. This is such a great advertisement for the NHL.

Hey NextBigThing, i like u and all, and enjoy ur posts and love seeing u put down NHL.. i laugh cuz i find this entertaining, but man, this whole thing has to be killing u and how it's winding down.

U must be pissed as hell
would First Take be talking hockey if gm 7 was on TNT

Reactions: NextBigThing

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Regular season games unless they're on FOX are irrelevant for ratings.

We'll see if this huge gap between games 7 atracts some casuals also with the comeback story. Should be a fun night the league has to be very pleased since tonight it's one of the biggest games in the history of the NHL.
Also definitely paying off that with NBA done and waiting for the draft, they have center stage. They are on the big network.

What’s the highest rated game in NHL history? I think the Boston/Vancouver Game 7 had it, not sure if the Boston/St. Louis Game 7 got there.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

This morning every ESPN show started with gm7. First Take with Stephen A smith was all hockey the first hr, and they never talk hockey. He's going to that game tonight and said he can't wait. Morning talk shows, ABC, NBC, CBS, u name it.. are all talking about this game. Yesterday i'm in my car and they play ESPN radio on Sundays here. Almost 1 hr they were talking about gm7. And i've never heard them ever talk hockey before. It's always NBA and WNBA and of course NFL, NCAAB and NCAAF.

U must be pissed as hell
The nhl doesn’t have casual fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Also definitely paying off that with NBA done and waiting for the draft, they have center stage. They are on the big network.

What’s the highest rated game in NHL history? I think the Boston/Vancouver Game 7 had it, not sure if the Boston/St. Louis Game 7 got there.
In the states, Canada, NA, or world.
I assume you mean US.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Probably Canadiens v Blackhawks from 1971.

Reactions: Reaser

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
I will say one last thing about this game. This rating can all be ruined if FLA are up 4-0 end of 1, and win 6-1. We need the game to be close from start to finish, can't be a blowout or we'll end up with 4M viewers only.

And yes, i still believe there'll be some ppl who've never watched hockey tune in just to see the hype, and when they do, lets really hope that McDavid has an unbelievable game, cuz tonight is the night that ppl will get to see who McDavid is for the first time and i hope he has a 4 pt game and is flying, cuz he will never gets this many eyeballs on him cuz of where he plays.

It'll be so great for the game if he can have the game of his life tonight. And no 0-0 end of 2 game. The dream scenario is Fla 3-1 end of 1. fla 4-2 end of 2.. McDavid with a hat trick late to tie the game 5-5.. Then OT, tons of chances both ways,, then double OT... then McDavid dekes the whole team again and puts it top corner.

If all this happens, hockey is now 3rd and surpasses baseball.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Joey, are u telling me chi up 3-0 over NYR... NYR win the next 3 and are now 3-3 heading into gm7 to make history that they are not getting 10M+???? they already got close to 9M for CHI/BOS a few yrs ago and it was only gm6..

I bet at least 3 ppl on this board would agree with me that NYR/CHI going to game7 to make history tomorrow would easily get 10M+.. If we have a chance at 7-8M for gm7 with EDM/FLA, u don't think we can get 2-3M more with NYR/CHI.. 2 of the top 3 US markets that LOVE hockey.

Can i get at least 1 poster here to back me up??? Come on don't be shy. Lets prove Joey wrong.
None of the games so far have reached half of what the nba finals have had . Settle down
I will say one last thing about this game. This rating can all be ruined if FLA are up 4-0 end of 1, and win 6-1. We need the game to be close from start to finish, can't be a blowout or we'll end up with 4M viewers only.

And yes, i still believe there'll be some ppl who've never watched hockey tune in just to see the hype, and when they do, lets really hope that McDavid has an unbelievable game, cuz tonight is the night that ppl will get to see who McDavid is for the first time and i hope he has a 4 pt game and is flying, cuz he will never gets this many eyeballs on him cuz of where he plays.

It'll be so great for the game if he can have the game of his life tonight. And no 0-0 end of 2 game. The dream scenario is Fla 3-1 end of 1. fla 4-2 end of 2.. McDavid with a hat trick late to tie the game 5-5.. Then OT, tons of chances both ways,, then double OT... then McDavid dekes the whole team again and puts it top corner.

If all this happens, hockey is now 3rd and surpasses baseball.
This Is an absolutely delusional take

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
yeah but when the red sox or yankees are playing, im sure more ppl in BOS and NY will be watching the redsox and yanks over the hockey game.

How is that different than every city in North America? I can see more people in Boston wanting to watch the Red Sox than a Stanley Cup final without Boston. Just like I can see people wanting to watch a Jets game in Winnipeg over a World Series game that does not include the Blue Jaus.

Those are fans we are losing for the hockey game.. I'm not even including the 80,000 combined fans at Yankee stadium and fenway park, who could be home watching gm7. This applies for every other team like the phils, cubs, pirates, cards, twins, etc. They'll watch their team anyday over gm7.

80,000 fans out of 350 million Americans is a whooping 0.02% of the population, which really drives home my point- they are irrelevant, and will not affect NHL attendance numbers.

It's Montreal vs Chicago Game 7, 1971.

Lt Frank Drebin

Apr 13, 2020
North Sentinel Island
Unfortunately for the NHL, the college world series is on directly against game 7 tonight. NHL will have good ratings for this game but they would’ve been a bit higher if NCAA baseball wrapped up last night instead of tonight.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Unfortunately for the NHL, the college world series is on directly against game 7 tonight. NHL will have good ratings for this game but they would’ve been a bit higher if NCAA baseball wrapped up last night instead of tonight.
First I heard of it, but thanks, but don’t follow.
Way to boring to watch, love playing, just can’t watch it,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad